Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Superhook

Hello Ted,

Your 114H reel would out dazzle Christmas decorations. Great pick up.

Ray

Maxed Out

I love it when I find old Penns with 70+ year old line....It's a good sign that it hasn't been used for eons.

This is a all original pre 1950 squidder as found.....

.....and pic #2 after it got a once over
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

.....and the "money shot" for any squidder is always the tailplate. This one is very nice indeed !! I really lucked out on this one  8)  8) Squidders from the 40's in this condition are like hens teeth  :D :D

Tightlines667

That there is a Ted reel.  Minty-fresh.

;D
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

I'm visiting a friend in Cleveland and just for the heck of it looked in the local Craig's list and found this '33 Kingfisher 250-yard reel for sale for $20. It's worth 4x that and will probably clean up pretty nicely, and it's completely correct for the year. It's probably not seen action for 3 or 4 decades. I'll work with it sometime after I get home. Pretty happy with this find! :) Not sure what I'll find under the line, but I'm in Ohio and there's no salt water around, so that may not be a problem. For $20 I didn't care.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Benni3

Love it sid,,,, great find,,,have you seen any corn and those big electric wind mills up there  ;D

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sdlehr

Thanks guys. Haven't seen any windmills Benni even though we were at the Rock and Roll HOF a few days ago, and that was right on the lake. Not sure where they are.

I got the line off and the spool that was beneath is in pretty good shape. This will be a good addition to my collection.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Benni3

You got to love those old 30's Penns and that's a nice one,,,,and Ohio is a nice state with very nice people enjoy your time up there sid  ;D

Maxed Out

Very nice find Sid......you are the masta of your domain !!

Keep up the good work my friend and thanks for sharing !!

Ted

broadway

Nothing wrong with a Long Beach Kingfisher for $20... nice score, Sid!
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm visiting a friend in Cleveland and just for the heck of it looked in the local Craig's list and found this '33 Kingfisher 250-yard reel for sale for $20. It's worth 4x that and will probably clean up pretty nicely, and it's completely correct for the year. It's probably not seen action for 3 or 4 decades. I'll work with it sometime after I get home. Pretty happy with this find! Smiley Not sure what I'll find under the line, but I'm in Ohio and there's no salt water around, so that may not be a problem. For $20 I didn't care.

Where I am from, this is known as a "Can't get the money out fast enough", "A Steal". "No Brainer" kind of deal". Penn reels are increasing in value so much that the Price Guide I wrote five years ago will be good for starting fires and not much else. Deals like this used to be common, happened every day; but, not so much anymore. I remember a 1932 Model K in a 1933 Long Beach box sell for $10.00 in 2003. No one took Penn reels seriously as collectibles back then; but, today things are different.

Give that reel the Ted M. effect and you will get 10 times what you paid for it. You hit a "New York Home Run" Sid, Congrats!!

mo65

Way ta go Sid! Welcome to the Buckeye state and enjoy your visit. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Well this one isn't mine, but was recently picked up by Broadway Dom.

I'm having issues sending his pics to my computer, so here is his pic right off my phone.

This is right up there with the nicest model f known to exist. Click on the pic for enlarged view

Ted