Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superhook

The  "OCEAN  SIDE" reels were a take apart reel made 34-38 . The 300 yard model was the#85.  Over the years there were 4 different yardages. All RARE reels.

The reel you pictured ( Oceanside) was introduced in 1941 as  the #85 and was a different reel entirely at 250yards. Very common reel and only one size. In 1952 it became the Seaboy .

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15659.0
Info on the rare OCEAN SIDE reels. Note: they never had a star drag and were a take apart reel.

Penn Chronology

Have no idea why this seller labeled his Penn 85 an Ocean Side but it is not. There was a Penn Trade Reel labeled Ocean Side. That may be what this reel is. Listen to SUPERHOOK, he is giving good info.

pjstevko

I'm not a collector but thought if someone would want it I'd go get it but I guess i'll pass.....

Is there a list of rare/buy it if you find it for penn reels on this site?

Superhook

There is no RARE list on any site for Penn reels.

wailua boy

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 18, 2018, 07:43:26 AM
QuoteActually after a bit of research, Im thinking its a 1940. It has the hershey clicker. Can anyone confirm or deny and any other notable facts are appreciated
It falls into a time span rather than to say it is a particular year. I would say it could be anywhere from 1939 to 1942. I know that is a blanket statement; but, there is really no way to get closer without more pieces of the puzzle. Even if you had it in the box, it would still be a guess at its age. From 1939 to 1942 this Model 97 Silver Beach basically stayed unchanged in price and build style. If you found one with the original catalog, you could then date it according to the catalog issue; but, you would be assuming the reel and catalog belong together. I feel the lighter colored handle knobs were used on the later models; but, that is just my opinion. It is still an interesting pre-war Penn reel and being able to date from 1939 to 1942 is still a good historical place. It is a Pre-War reel, without a doubt.

Thank you very much for info. I did notice spool was numbered 29-99, so I guess spool is much more recent. Im still happy with reel. I think it was $10+shipping. Have a great day/night guys.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI did notice spool was numbered 29-99, so I guess spool is much more recent. Im still happy with reel. I think it was $10+shipping.

Yes, the spool is post 1953 approximately. For $10 you got a great deal.

Long Enuff

Going on a road trip to Savannah tomorrow to pick up a dozen Penn combos from an estate sale sight unseen. All I know is that there are several Senators in the mix and this photo. Not a scam, I grew up with the fellow and he sent me the pic. My brother has already picked them up for me.  Wish me luck.

Benni3

Donnyboat

Long enuff, that lot look good, should give you some joy, keep you entertained for some time, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Long Enuff

Made it home with the bounty: three 113H maroon, one 113 4/0 black, one 112H maroon, a crusty 114H Blackie 6/0, Three black 6/0's, a Peer 109, Peer 309, and a Longbeach 68. All are completely functional, but nasty.

Swami805

What kind of rods were they on? Were the black ones Harnell's?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Long Enuff

The two all tan rods are Mohawk, the two with the green foam fore grips are "Ren-Troll Custom Rods Savannah, Ga.  One of the black rods was a Magnaflex and the other a Montague.

thorhammer

I think I see two black Harnells. The two white blanks on the right side are almost certainly Magnaflex; i have the varmac  / aftco versions. The honey gold blanks are very likely Magnaflex as well, that close to Florida. One Penn Senator rod. not sure about the rest. That's an AT haul right there that'll leave you sleepless in anticipation of vats of simple green, vinegar and Penn blue.

I think it'd be worthwhile for you to start a separate thread on this collection to document what you got and what you did. You might even find something historically significant under that patina. Just my .02.

John

Long Enuff

Good idea John, I will do that when I get organized.