Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I can't top Bill's Find, but am Happy with this 9500ss with Brass main for a Benjamin. ;)
The 430ss is just for comparison, but another one of my favorite spinners.
Another 114H Blackie in the background.
Life is Good. ;)
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

That 950 is awesome. Put a Breakaway Cannon on that thing and with the right rod you you could throw some serious shark bait.

Bill B

Cool bean brother.....I need to start looking for s spinner now  :o  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

Picked up these two on my favorite charity auction site, a Seaboy 85 with mottled plates and a Peer 209.....gonna have to blame Mo for the 209 purchase...he has been doing some amazing things with the 209 so had to get one  :D......Bill

Before

After

thorhammer

Pretty work Bill. I always like a 209 steal. I have one going now.

Bill B

Cool beans brother......hope it comes through.....I was not impressed with the 209 until Mo spilled the beans....now glad I have one.....gonna add it to the fishing quiver....Bill

mo65

That 209 cleaned up beautifully Bill! Mine is a dead ringer for yours...except for the brushed spool...anyone know if it's stainless?

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Quote from: mo65 on December 08, 2016, 01:31:27 PM
   That 209 cleaned up beautifully Bill! Mine is a dead ringer for yours...except for the brushed spool...anyone know if it's stainless?

I believe so, making it a 209M. Also check the seat designation for reference, what does it say? the 9's had two different seats, an "S" being the heavier saltwater stand.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on December 08, 2016, 01:43:41 PM
I believe so, making it a 209M. Also check the seat designation for reference, what does it say?

The stand on mine is stamped 30-209F...I'm figurin' that's "specially designed" for freshwater. ;) :D :P Bill's looks like the "S" stand.

The cool part is that 209 is actually "just as I found it"...one of the few Penn reels I haven't made some kind of mark on. 8)

foakes

Yes, it is SS --

You can tell by the spool brush appearance, the contrast between the rings and spool, plus the weight of the spool.

Great job on that 209.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe stand on mine is stamped 30-209F...I'm figurin' that's "specially designed" for freshwater. Wink Cheesy Tongue Bill's looks like the "S" stand.

The differences between the fresh and saltwater stands on the Penn Levelwind reels is consistent to them all.

The stand on the left is a "S" designated saltwater stand. The stand on the right will have an "F" added to the model number meaning freshwater stand. This stand identification will also bleed over to the Model 180, which is the reel used as an example on the left.

Bill B

This one has a salt water stand, however it's a 30-66 stand....maybe a Frankenreel  ???  Now we know the 66 frame will fit.....Bill

mo65

Quote from: TARFU on December 09, 2016, 04:14:55 AM
This one has a salt water stand, however it's a 30-66 stand....maybe a Frankenreel  ??? 

Oh no Bill...it's no frankenreel...the 209 and 309 both used that 30-66 stand. Even the 210 used it. 8)

Penn Chronology

QuoteThis one has a salt water stand, however it's a 30-66 stand....maybe a Frankenreel  Huh? 

Oh no Bill...it's no frankenreel...the 209 and 309 both used that 30-66 stand. Even the 210 used it. Cool

Yup. simply another example of the super interchangeability of Penn Parts............... :)