Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

That's one of the nicest if not the nicest first gen 12/0's I've seen.  Don't spool it, as much of the beauty is in the spool.
That rod is a sweet one, too!
Nice stuff,
Dom

Benni3

Now that's a nice set up and your going  have fun fishing  with it  :D

Maxed Out

Quote from: 54bullseye on July 21, 2017, 12:04:50 AM
I have had the rod for 5 or 6 years but got the reel less than a year ago and I though they would go together nicely. 

Super rare first year 12/0 would be a sin to fish in my opinion.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

I have to agree,
As much as I like to fish big Senators.
You don't realize what this one is worth in that condition.
Life is Good!

oc1

That is really something special John.  But, where-in-the-heck did you find that much linen?  I have a hunch you're not intending to take it fishing.
-steve

Tightlines667

That's a sweet combo.  I wish I had that handle for my first gen 12/0.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

I think they look neat with line on but I will not fish this one ! I will fill it up with dacron then put a half inch of linen on top. This is the only early Senator I have but would love to find more.    John

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

Very impressive John. Not many of those early 12/0's around. There is a double tell concerning the early 12/0's. The handle style is the most obvious. That handle is just plain rare, in the real sense. Penn put that handle on the 12/0 for a very short time. Maybe a bit over a year and then switched to the Torpedo handle. So the actual use and production was limited. That is a fact. I also feel that most people that owned 12/0's with that straight handle at the time did not like the straight handle and changed their reels over to Torpedo handles, even further limiting the amount of reels with those handles and condemning most of the original handles to the dust bin or the garbage pail. You are more likely to find that straight handle on a smaller reel or an off brand reel than on a Penn 12/0.
                 I have a friend that found one on a old smaller than 12/0 Ocean City reel at a show. He told the seller he did not want the reel; but, would give him $25 for the handle. The seller agreed and he now has the handle on the incorrect first gen 12/0.
                 Which brings me to the second tell. True 12/0 firsts have no front lugs, which makes them very difficult to restore when the plates or inner rings are damaged.

That rig you have is a great find. I would never put line on it. The rod is also a great old piece. I find the Alan guides very interesting. Have them on one rod.

Gfish

Returned to this thread to see stuff about the Seaboy-190 on page 27. Ah well, somethin like this gives me insight as to why the ladies complain about male behavior and also why my neck hurts alla time(lookin at all the diffrent women makes my head spin around from one to the other, just like Howdy Dudy). Rods/reels are not women, as are not fancy cars, but there's some kinda comparetive thing, and this really is one beautiful Senator combo. I hope ta fish with somethin like that someday soon. Back in the day, if I's alive then(30's-40's), for sure, I'da saved up awhile and bought somethin like a 190 and felt good about havin a serious ocean rig - a Penn.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

54bullseye

Okay I have canned the line idea !!! She stays naked ! I just think they display nice with line. I like the rod as well as the reel they are a hard find in decent shape especially the all rollers !!  I see way more decent Tycoon rods than Montague's !  Thanks for the replies !    John Taylor

Penn Chronology

QuoteOkay I have canned the line idea !!! She stays naked ! I just think they display nice with line. I like the rod as well as the reel they are a hard find in decent shape especially the all rollers !!  I see way more decent Tycoon rods than Montague's !  Thanks for the replies !    John Taylor

I agree about the display, especially the linen line. It adds to the character for most reels except for big game Penn reels with three piece spools. The spool becomes part of the vintage aspect of the reel. Most people that know Penn big game reels 10/0 and over expect the reel to have a one piece bronze spool. The three piece spool is a key part of the reel's vintage, so I like the spool to be seen. Simply a matter of preference, eye of the beholder kind of thing.

You have a point about the Tycoon rods. I feel the opportunity to buy an old wood Tycoon rod is easy, not cheap, but easy. Finding a good quality big game Montague is hard and a split cane big game Pflueger is even harder. I guess big game fisherman always gravitate toward quality and the Tycoon has the reputation of being the best. I know the price difference between a Penn Senator and a Fin-Nor was massive but I am not too sure about the price difference between a Tycoon big game rod and others in the same marketplace of the same era. If that price difference is small, then the Tycoon rods will always win and be more plentiful. Seen many Penn Senators mounted to Tycoon rods in old pictures.

oc1

A double built rod ain't too shabby regardless of the maker.  My understanding is that it is a six-piece bamboo hexagon inside another bamboo hexagon.  The wall of a bamboo culm is not thick enough to make a solid big game rod without using two layers.  Sounds like more than twice the work.  That particular Montague is good looking and well preserved.  It's a miracle the leather foregrip is in such good shape.  The hardware looks first class too.
-steve

54bullseye

I came to like the Montague rods from the Ocean City cradles. I bought this one with a rough 612 Ocean City reel on it from an antique shop in Conn. for cheap money $350 for rod and reel and I sold reel on ebay for over $200 so it was a good investment ! I have a Big Game Single also but it's not in as good of shape. The small ones are what I can't find !! My smallest Montague fits the 806  cradle and is like new but I have never seen one to fit the 804  4/0 cradle not even in poor shape so if any one ever sees a 4/0 size Montague bamboo or fiberglass tip please let me know. The big fiberglass Montague's are really nice also and not cheap !! There was a real big one on Ebay a few years ago that I really wanted that was in mint shape all original and it was at around $300 when I was headed for bed so I figured if I bid $750 I would own it !!  Wrong !! Two other bidders got at it for over $1000 !!

And Steve your right about the grip on this rod it is about the best I have seen as most look like people have rested them on the gunwale of a boat a thousand times then cleaned and either oiled or varnished them up and they show a lot of wear. Not sure exactly how they are made or if it's leather or some type of cork / rubber combination ?         John T.

oc1

I'm done buying fishing reels.  No more.... and I mean it this time.  But I have a nostalgia thing when it comes to the #9 and couldn't resist this one.  According to Mike's book, it is from the introductory year of 1952-53.  There is a hexagonal worm gear bearing on the tail plate, more pointed torpedo handle, black side plates.  Also, a bit of knurling on the clutch lever.  I would have rather had the metal spool, but OK.  Haven't been inside it yet.
-steve