Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Both are Pre war Fred  ;D ;D

The Seagate is a pre war reel that didn't show up in the 1946 catalog....or did it ?? ;D ;D

I'll let you make a logical assumption as to why it was discontinued....or not: (deep breath) ;)

The seagate was always a dressed down, less expensive long beach 60. The 60 had metal spool, while the seagate had plastic. Just prior to the war Penn started putting plastic spools on the long beach 60 & 65, which basically was now the same as a seagate. After the war all long beach 60 reels came with plastic spools(metal was extra option) until 1948. For those years the long beach 60 was actually more like a rebranded seagate than a long beach.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 14, 2017, 08:39:04 PM

Both are Pre war Fred  ;D ;D

The Seagate is a pre war reel that didn't show up in the 1946 catalog....or did it ?? ;D ;D

I'll let you make a logical assumption as to why it was discontinued....or not: (deep breath) ;)

The seagate was always a dressed down, less expensive long beach 60. The 60 had metal spool, while the seagate had plastic. Just prior to the war Penn started putting plastic spools on the long beach 60 & 65, which basically was now the same as a seagate. After the war all long beach 60 reels came with plastic spools(metal was extra option) until 1948. For those years the long beach 60 was actually more like a rebranded seagate than a long beach.

Thanks for the clarifications, Ted --

As for discontinued -- knucklebusters were always something we would rather forget.

Doing a few groups of DAM Quick and Mitchell restorations, along with repairs & servicing other reels today --

In between parts getting washed and drying -- I went ahead and cleaned up the old Seaford a bit.

Nothing like you, Mike, Ray, Mo, Sid, Sal, Dom, and a few others on here would do -- but for a quick and dirty job -- it now has 40 seconds of freespool with no line on the spool -- and is at least a little more presentable.

What is interesting to me about this reel -- I gave my last and only Seaford to Daron a year or two ago in a trade for some Senators and Quicks.  Never expected or figured I would get another -- and this one comes along.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNothing like you, Mike, Ray, Mo, Sid, Sal, Dom, and a few others on here would do -- but for a quick and dirty job -- it now has 40 seconds of freespool with no line on the spool -- and is at least a little more presentable.

Fred, it looks as good as anyone else would do. These old pre-war models were used to death. They were the Go-To reel for the hungry American family man. I believe you have rescued a fine old soldier.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

Very nicely done, hard to believe that's the same reel.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

I believe that was an Anglesea Fred. ;)
You really show your skill level with that restoration. ;)
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Fred, that turned out great! Ted would be proud of that job! Interesting look to the oil port in the handle side bearing, is it chromed? It looks to be wider as well....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

Fred,
   Mike was spot on... I don't see how any one of the people you mentioned or anyone else for that matter could do any better breathing life into that old gal.  Beautifully done Fred.
I really did't think it would turn out that good to be honest with you.  The spool, the stand and pretty much all the external parts appeared to have been considerably destroyed by corrosion.... I was wrong.
Well done, Fred
Dom

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

STRIPER LOU

Excellent job Fred. Looks like new and works even better I'm sure with the Master's Midas touch!

............Lou

mo65

Quote from: broadway on December 15, 2017, 03:15:14 AM
I really did't think it would turn out that good to be honest with you.  The spool, the stand and pretty much all the external parts appeared to have been considerably destroyed by corrosion.

Dom brings up a point here that I have been researching...these older reels with the satin plating(was it nickel?) clean up better than newer reels with bright chrome plating. Some also have German silver instead of brass parts...it doesn't show finish damage as bad. Note how the spool, posts, stand, and handle were covered in a sorta black tarnish vs. the usual green growth. These are the reels that clean up nice and still have that beautiful patina...Fred's reel is an excellent example. Top shelf resto Fred! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

kungajim

hey all-

I haven't bee too active on this site, but now that it's officially winter up in the Northeast, its time to clean up the gear, etc.  I also just purchased these older Penns off the interweb and wanted to show them off.  they are all in good working condition, just need to be cleaned, greased etc.  so far all I've done is wipe off the dust and put them on the shelf.

first the Penn 15
so many baits....so little time

kungajim

next my favorite of the group...the 85
so many baits....so little time