Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Swami805

Nice Haul, looks like a white mitchell too. My pictures come out upside down too sometimes, have no idea why. Looks like you'll be busy!! Sometimes you get lucky and find a real sleeper in those groups.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

You know you're running low on space when...

Carl L

Tinkering with reels in my auto repair shop and my buddy sends me this...

bhale1

Carl,That's some funny stuff right there!!!
Breft

Edit: Brett😀...sometimes I forget my own name...or maybe I was laughing while typing ?

Decker

I got a lot of laughs from that -4°   ... Polled my wife and kids.

Found this Long Beach 60 for the price of a pizza.  Although I'd used 60's on party boat rentals, I've never owned a Long Beach before.  What interested me in the 60 was a recent thread that Lee started about the newer Seaboy reels.   The 60 and SB185 have some interchangeable parts: base, bars and spool, which sparks franken-reel imagination.  I am really impressed with this one!  First thing I noticed was stainless steel spacer bars.  They look stock, but I didn't know that Penn sold their reels with SS bars.   Am I dreaming, or are the rings stainless too?   Haven't opened it up, but I can't imagine there will be any disappointment.  Anyone have one like this?  

Decker

Here are the two brothers together, 185 on the left, 60 on the right:

basto

Looks like the spool on your 60 is stainless too.I have a 65 the same vintage as yours, but it now has a stainless 30-66 stand and an alloy spool.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

wailua boy

I picked up a 2/0 recently and came in unnumbered. It was spooled with line but luckily had minimal corrosion on spool. If anyone has any interesting info on reel, please let me know. Thanks

Decker

Those 2/0 senators are Sherman tanks.   

broadway

Wailua Boy,
  It's a late 40's reel.  Looks all original but the handle is kinda unique as it has very rounded ends like the 60's big game power reel handles.
Nice find and great reel,
Dom
PS- she just needs a handle nut screw. ;)

steelfish

just got this two 113h reels from I friend that had these reels without any use since few years ago,

one is a narrow 113h with tiburon frame in really good shape and by the sound the gears and the fast retrieve they're surely newell gears, according the the original owner everything works, it just need a good service.

the other one its a 113h std size with Accuframe an accuplates, the matching red handle sideplate is shot, way too much corrosion internally that the owner had to found a black handle side accuplate for it (now it looks like those blemish avets LOL), I havent opened the reel yet to check how the accuplates look internally, they are suposedly in good shape, the reel is missing some springs, yoke and small bits but the SS accurate gears and handle are there, even if the two sideplates are shot the accuframe looks in great shape.

looks like a nice pair of projects (when the time allows)
The Baja Guy

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Decker

"Stole" this "Sail Fisher 180" from the Internet recently.  It kinda resembles a 180 with harness lugs :)  The seller included some copied Penn catalog data (attached below) showing it side by side with a Super-Mariner 49.   According to that literature, at $19  retail, the 130 out-values the 49M by just 50 cents.  Also it has a 3:1 retrieve versus the 3.5:1 of the Super Mariner.  It will clean up very nicely.  I'm wondering if this reel could prove useful for deeper party boat fishing off the coast of NJ.  No shelf-queens in my herd!

Swami805

I think I was watching that one. If it's the same one you did good. Been trying to find a Shelfie for awhile. That one will be a great user
Do what you can with that you have where you are