533nk/P440-5 narrow

Started by Sulla, October 19, 2015, 02:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sulla

I have a p-440 with the tib 533nk on it. I love this reel and can't tell you how smooth and solid it is. My question is this. This reel would be an ideal heavy iron yo-yo reel for yellowtail. My only concern is drag pressure.  What's the maximum drag pressure I could reasonably expect out of this reel without compromising the internals and what they are really designed to handle? Anyone who has caught a 25lb plus yellow know's just how hard they pull and if there's structure around you can't afford to play around with them.  

SoCalAngler

Carl never listed drag specs for his reels but with CF drags and a otherwise stock reel 40 lb test should be fine. Drags set from 10-13 lbs and your good to go. But, since you have a frame and another handle maybe a light 50 lb test reel. You will really not need much more for most yoyo applications but sometimes more is what is needed especially if your deep fishing around structure. Some guys really trick out these reels but in my mind if you fish them for their intended line strengths you should be fine. The 200, 300's and 400's all use the same drags, so if you have some of the older Newell drags in your reel you may want to step up to CF. Bryan here on the boards makes a good, from what I hear, drag replacement for the older drags. The few Newell's I have all have greased CF drags in them.

Looks like you have a Shimano handle on that reel...that is almost fishing blasphemy :)

I caught these yellows in the 35 lb range on 30 lb test, granted it was not that deep around 120" but down in Baja fishing 200" or more 40 lb test or higher would be needed.

thinkwahoo

You can acquire a replacement drag stack from Bryan that will get you more drag pressure, but if you get a gorilla tail on this reel you won't be able to stop him from rocking you. I've personally seen 2 spd reels with 100#, and buttoned down get rocked.

There is a technique that sometimes works on bigger fish, and that is use your thumb on the spool to set the hook, but have your star, or lever drag backed off so the fish doesn't realize it's got any pressure. Then when you can slowly retrieve line as it swims around you can start retrieving line with the star tightened up, or the lever moved up to full.

We caught grouper this way up to 75#, otherwise they would just bust you off in the rocks.

Your reel will work best as a surface iron retriever in open water.

Newell Nut

Max drag is a tricky question for any reel. My 533NK is pictured here somewhere holding a 40 lb dumbbell demonstrating Bryan's 5+1 drag system. The remarkable thing in this test is that I used 40lb momoi diamond and a 3 turn San Diego Jam knot.

Sulla

Thanks for all the information guys! I especially like your advice on the bigger grade yellows "thinkwahoo". I'll certainly give it a try. 

BMITCH

What type handle is that?? Is it a shimano. And if it's what model?? Was it a straight fit or did you need to modify it in order to fit??

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

vilters

that handle is for a torium or larger tekota. you need to enlarge the hole to fit a newell. you can buy one from ulua junkies that has already been modified to fit. it makes a great upgrade, although it is kind of heavy.

Sulla

Quote from: vilters on October 21, 2015, 02:48:54 AM
that handle is for a torium or larger tekota. you need to enlarge the hole to fit a newell. you can buy one from ulua junkies that has already been modified to fit. it makes a great upgrade, although it is kind of heavy.

Exactly, it's a Shimano Torium handle that I got from aluajunkies. It's real nice but a little heavier than the stock handle. It balances well because the tib frame is also heavier than the stock Newell components. 

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

The torium 50 handle needs the least amount of opening to fit the Newell. The Torium 30 hole is a little smaller and needs more dremel work. The other difference is that the Torium 50 handle has a slightly larger knob but both are comfortable. The offset makes a lot of difference to me when trying to gain line on a hard fight due to the good balance. Highly recommend it for the 400 to 600 Newells on the last hole. For a 300 series open up the shorter stroke hole for good balance.

BonitaBch

SoCal, great job on the fish!
Bonita Beach, FL