THE TANK TRAVELS THE WORLD-PHOTOS AND REPORTS TO COME

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Wow! Sorry I didn't pick up on this sooner, I kept checking elsewhere, thought I'd taken it too off topic, and thought it went cold.
   Our Sword season kicks off towards end of March, and goes through 'til end of May/ early June. But there are opportunities on jumbo bluefin (150-300lbers) as well as plenty of 40-80lbers at this time. Our swords range from 200-650lbers, with a very real possibility of a monster swimming around. I only hope the impending arrival of a longliner this season doesn't impact on the fishing for the long-term. I have personally landed one around 250lb, but the guys i fish with have taken a 600lber. There have been some larger fish caught by others as well. Would need to take the Tank to work with me for a swing (5 weeks) to make the rings, but shouldn't be a problem as only 2 required for the Tank's frame. If someone in Aus could spare a set of 4/0 plates, could get started nearly straight away, and have them ready when (if) the Tank arrives. Could fit a SS clutch lever and clicker shifter while at it, with Dom and Sal's clearance of course! Should be able to drum up plenty of days out on the water while home. Will be sweet having the Tank, and my 6/0 side by side.
  I'd recommend, as much 50lb braid that can be fitted on the spool, with enough space for a 50-80m 50lb mono top-shot. When I get home, I'll ask my skipper if we could get access to a 1000m spool of the 50lb pre-test braids that we have successfully claimed a few GFAA records on. If that's a goer, I'll spool it over here.
   Very excited about this. I'd love to see John get a hold of this, and hook a rampaging Kona Blue Marlin on The Tank. Or anyone who has the means to do it. I feel that would be the ultimate test.
  Let the adventure begin!

Steve-O

Italian?  I was only born there...raised and spoke the lingo until 4 years old then came stateside. Have an Italian birth certificate.  We moved back in '68 for a couple years where I attended Santa Maria Goretti school in Verona and got my Italian Army draft notice at 16.  But that's as Italian as I can claim.

I wonder if the TANK would like to dredge up some big Halibut in Alaskan waters? Or maybe a monster 60" Lingcod? Or I could go back to Texas for some gator gar.

Dominick

Okay here we go.  I'm sending the Tank to Rothmar if he ever sends me his name and address.  I want to use it June 7-14, 2016 and the last week in October.  It looks like Rothmar has action going on right now.  Wayne wants to use it in January but it looks like Rothmar will have it until March.  Steve since you spoke up when do you want to use it?  Wayne has caught fish on it so I am making an executive decision that Wayne may have to settle for the Baja Special in January.  Rothmar the Tank has 85lb Spectra on it with a short 100 lb flouro topshot of about 8 ft. I'd like to get it back with the 85lb Spectra on it.  You may change it for your use any way you want.  PM me your information and I will make a reusable shipping container and get it out in a couple of days.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Ok, now it's getting interesting. Chris, it would be nice to see you fish the Tank, I can't wait.
Steve, maybe you could be next in line...if the Tank survives ;D. Chris is talking 200-600lb fish :-\  ;D.

Dominick, every now and then, you come up with some good ones. Way to go compa' ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

hi sal
i have a penn 113h special 4/0 senator
are the rings the same
i can post these to chris(rothmar2)
or whatever you think best dominick
cheers

Rothmar2

Send it to Wayne first if he has opportunities in January/Feb. Late March/April/May would be the best months for me to be able to give this reel the most action.
Wallace, if the plates you have, have the 8 hole screw pattern in them, then yes that would be great, can get started on the rings ASAP.
Dominik, PM forthcoming.

BMITCH

Ok, I know it's not the original tank. I've got the triple dog dare ya tank...ready to hit the canyons next week. There has been a full on albacore bite going. Wish I had seen this earlier. Could have sent the original out to the NE canyons with me...one more notch on its belt....err..I mean rings. This is such a cool idea. Good luck with this guys. Can't wait for the tank reports 💪🏻 👍🏻

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

Quote from: Rothmar2 on November 06, 2015, 07:15:27 AM
Send it to Wayne first if he has opportunities in January/Feb. Late March/April/May would be the best months for me to be able to give this reel the most action.
Wallace, if the plates you have, have the 8 hole screw pattern in them, then yes that would be great, can get started on the rings ASAP.
Dominik, PM forthcoming.
I did not see this post.  The Tank is on its way to Tasmania as I write this.  Good luck with it and report in.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

Hello Tank Team
I've got a set of plates I can send with some other stuff I am sending Chris. I don't need them and it will save Wallace the postage.
Michael
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Steve-O

Earliest for me would be June, then maybe July or August. Latest would be september. Depends on my coworkers's Alaska plans. They want King Salmon next year and are looking at June. I will press them for more precise info and come back to the TANK thread asap.

If worse comes to worse, I can wait until 2017 Alaska trip so others who have solid trip dates can jump me in line if need be. I'm definitely flexible. Maybe even enough to be in Baja when the TANK is there with The Man.

Dominick

Steve-O I want to use the Tank in June.  So if you join me in Los Cabos you get to use it with me.  However, if it works out that you will be fishing salmon in Alaska in June I will defer to your Alaskan trip.  I don't mind fishing without it as I had a lot of fun using it and I would like to see it get abused by big fish.  Rothmar says there are big Tuna around this time I sent the reel to him.  The biggest fish so far is a striped marlin estimated at 125lbs upon release.  I'm waiting for Wayne to post the photos.  BTW look at Bryan's avatar.  His reaction in that photo is being star struck because I handed him the Tank.  It was like magic.  It lit him up.   :D Dominick

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on November 07, 2015, 02:56:49 AM
...BTW look at Bryan's avatar.  His reaction in that photo is being star struck because I handed him the Tank.  It was like magic.  It lit him up.   :D Dominick
lol...

Good one!
;D ;D ;D
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on November 06, 2015, 06:45:37 AM
hi sal
i have a penn 113h special 4/0 senator
are the rings the same
i can post these to chris(rothmar2)
or whatever you think best dominick
cheers

Thanks Wallace, I believe Michael got us covered....You're a good man.
Quote from: mhc on November 06, 2015, 11:52:44 PM
Hello Tank Team
I've got a set of plates I can send with some other stuff I am sending Chris. I don't need them and it will save Wallace the postage.
Michael
Thanks Michael!
Quote from: Dominick on November 06, 2015, 10:50:59 PM
Quote from: Rothmar2 on November 06, 2015, 07:15:27 AM
Dominik, PM forthcoming.
I did not see this post.  The Tank is on its way to Tasmania as I write this.  Good luck with it and report in.  Dominick
Chris, if you don't mind, when you're done with the Tank, I would appreciate if you send it to the headquarters...my house ;D.
I would like to break it down and take a look, also get it ready for its next adventure.
I will cover the shipping costs to me and to send it back to Dominick...its owner.
Thanks!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Im going to tentatively put my hat in the ring.  As long as my schedule works out so I can get offshore some next summer, Id love to put a big shark or two on the tank.  I routinely see tigers from 8' to 12+', and a hammerhead thats easily 14'+ on occasion where I fish.  Anytime the tank is free from may to august is a pretty good time.  I do run into short term schedule conflicts, so I dont want to commit to anything until next spring.  But I wont need it for long.

Steve-O

Quote from: Dominick on November 07, 2015, 02:56:49 AM
Steve-O I want to use the Tank in June.  So if you join me in Los Cabos you get to use it with me.  However, if it works out that you will be fishing salmon in Alaska in June I will defer to your Alaskan trip.  I don't mind fishing without it as I had a lot of fun using it and I would like to see it get abused by big fish.  Rothmar says there are big Tuna around this time I sent the reel to him.  The biggest fish so far is a striped marlin estimated at 125lbs upon release.  I'm waiting for Wayne to post the photos.  BTW look at Bryan's avatar.  His reaction in that photo is being star struck because I handed him the Tank.  It was like magic.  It lit him up.   :D Dominick

Now I know the rest of the story....every time I saw Bryan's posts/avatar, i wondered about the significance of the reel being handed to him. I kept thinking it was a b-day gift or some surprise party gift. Who knew it was the TANK all along.

My AK partners are in Orlando and another city north of me all next week but I will touch base with them regarding fishing mext year and see how things pan out.