THE TANK TRAVELS THE WORLD-PHOTOS AND REPORTS TO COME

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Snuck out for a spur of the moment trip today, but the Tank proved to be a "reel Jonah" and didn't tick a ratchet in anger all day. We did end up with a few albacore and small SBT's on "other" reels.
Seeing as this thread is about the Tank, I'm not sure it's really worth posting a report?!

Rothmar2

Tank is now on its way to Queensland for Mike to try and work over. I think he might have some GT plans for it. A big one would be a worthy opponent for the Tank. Good luck with it Mike, I hope you get some big'uns on it.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

mhc

The Tank has arrived in Rockhampton, Central Queensland, Australia - along with a strong wind warning for Capricorn Coast Waters over the coming weekend.

Daron, I'm more hopeful than confident of finding a big GT.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Dominick

Hook up a kite and put the Tank through its paces.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

The Tank has had a practice run to Rock Cod Shoals 35 km out of Gladstone. It was the last location on our list of options, they are the closest reef area to Gladstone and are fairly heavily fished. The reefs we hope to get a GT on are about 70 km out but the forecast of 10 - 15 knot northerly increasing to 15 - 20 in the afternoon stopped us from heading further out. My friend's boat is 16 ft - anything much above 10 knots and 1m seas makes the trip slow, wet and uncomfortable.

We started trolling on the shoals around 5 am and gave it away around 5:45 without getting a touch.

The Tank waiting for action

It wasn't looking good for pelagics, we only saw a couple of lone birds that came over to us to see if we had found any fish.
I put the Tank away while we bottom bounced for a few table fish in 40 - 60 ft.

Danni with the first of 4 Coral Trout

Luke with a Red Throat Sweetlip

My accurate 99 with another sweetlip

Not much in the way of scenery - if you look closely you can make out some of the hills around Gladstone

No action for the Tank but we had a good morning fishing. We ended up with 24 sweeetlip and 4 trout between three of us - nothing of any size but a good feed for the location.

I'm hoping to take the Tank further out into the Capricorn Bunker Group before I send it back to Chis in a few weeks.

Rothmar2

Nice little write up Mike. Nice size trout too. When I lived in Airlie many many moons ago, got a dose of Cigutera from a big trout, prob around 20lb. After that we'd only eat them up to the size of the one pictured. Nothing wrong with a feed of "Trickies" like those you got.
Had a look on the Navionics charts, lots of Marine Park Zones out there these days. Can see why the shoals you fished get a hammering.
Hope you get a chance to get further out for some mega GT's.

broadway

Man, those sweet lips are pretty fish. 
Happy to see the tank making its' way around the world.  Hope you get a GT on the tank to really get her turned on.
Thanks for the update,
Dom

Alto Mare

Always nice to see the Tank on the water ready for action. Thanks for the great shots and for doing this for us, Mike...good luck out there.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jonnou

Quote from: Rothmar2 on January 04, 2016, 11:37:44 AM
Speedos in Tassie? No chance! Brass monkey weather down here for the most part. Yes Mike, will send the Tank to you by the end of the week along with some other bits and pieces for you. There has been a massive run of small SBT come through here in the last week, a boat tagged 50 in under 4 hours today, but 8-15kg tunny are not Tank-worthy.

Strewth too damn cold for Budgie Smugglers ;)

Rivverrat

Great thread !  Enjoyed the pics & stories here.

David Hall

Awesome thread great stories.
That reel is collecting some mojo......jo jo!

mhc

The Tank is on it's way back to Tasmania, fully refreshed after a relaxing break in Central Queensland. I'm disappointed I didn't get another chance to try for a tank-worthy fish.

I have taken a few photos at Rosslyn Bay Harbour to at least show the tank has been here;

At the 1st boat ramp

The 2nd ramp

The marina

and one of the wharfs

It's unlikely the tank will return to here, so I guess I'll have to make a replica to catch a tank GT.

I'm also disappointed no one mentioned my pink ABU shirt in the earlier photos.  ??? ;D ;D

Mike

PS - We weren't the only ones that didn't like the weather - the trailer boat parking areas were empty a lot of the time.

Alto Mare

Mike, that's why they call it fishing...you never know.
Don't feel too bad, you did a great job with the Tank, I've personally enjoyed your nice pics.
Thanks for your involvement with the "Tank journey", certainly something to remember.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

The Tank has landed back in Tas. I've only been home a couple of days, but am hearing that the fishing has gone up a notch, just need a break in the weather. There has been a few smoked electrics before the weather turned sour, pretty sure that means the swords are turning up.
5-6m swell here over the last couple of days, been surfing instead!