THE TANK TRAVELS THE WORLD-PHOTOS AND REPORTS TO COME

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

A few pics; back to work and no time for full report just yet. Only two of us on boat at the time and the waves had gotten pretty sporty, so only time for a quick snap and into the cooler...no picturesque staging with the Tank in photo as we like. Plus, no billy on the rented boat, so between bouncing deck and frisky fish we had to get done and back into the water efficiently.  the 24' CC with outriggers I wanted seemed to be very capable of hauling the family with small kids around that I saw in waterway....I had to settle for a 22'. We were on a very small cay, Spanish Wells, on St.Georges Island. As far I could tell there were only four boats over 20 feet for rent on the island; the other two being old 20 and 22 Mako's with bimini tops...not for my brand offshore fishing. 

It would seem that most serious traveling fisherman hire a guide in that neck of woods, so the rental boats, being rental boats, had some deficiencies vs. how I roll...as expected. We could've done that, but my whole mission was to prove I could a pack my own offshore kit to a remote place with no local intel and put meast on the table. I tried to plan for that as best possible by setting up two six foot tables for prep and winnowing through everything I would like to take, and doing a full load out. Hung 100 lb scale and worked backward to my 48 lb target. initial load out was 56 lbs....so some stuff had to go. I knew I wouldn't have downriggers so packed planer board, being lighter than lead trolling weights, to get deep. I knew I wouldn't have desired outriggers so planned to fish two rods on the spread holders in T-Top....however when we got the boat the TTop designer clearly wasn't a fisherman and there weren't any...In any case here are a few pics; I will fully detail the trip in my separate trip report....what worked, what didn't, and separate non-Tank related pics. The Tank also cranked in several barracudas, which were overly plentiful, giving the fine reel no more resistance than a Redfin.

thorhammer

Dominic, I have a shot at wahoo and mahi Friday and want to put the Tank on the job, unless you need it this week. I thought I sent you a PM but may not have gon through from my phone. I will photodocument and get it back on its way early next week unless I hear from you differently.

Lou, can you send Dominic the post screw hardware? PM me how much and I will shoot a check out.

I will move one of Alan's Kokelar 5/0's over for this trip.

Thanks!

STRIPER LOU

Dominick, do you have the extra screws and washers I sent with your knob?  I always supply an extra set. If not PM me your address and I'll get a set off to you.

Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Dominick

Quote from: thorhammer on May 31, 2017, 12:01:55 AM
Dominic, I have a shot at wahoo and mahi Friday and want to put the Tank on the job, unless you need it this week. I thought I sent you a PM but may not have gon through from my phone. I will photodocument and get it back on its way early next week unless I hear from you differently.

Lou, can you send Dominic the post screw hardware? PM me how much and I will shoot a check out.

I will move one of Alan's Kokelar 5/0's over for this trip.

Thanks!
John go for it.  I don't leave for Baja until the 13th.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

SCORE!!!! Blackfin sashimi, courtesy of The Tank, fishing bridled planer and red / black Islander Jr  / ballyhoo combo, 55 miles off Carolina Beach. More pics coming

swill88

Quote from: thorhammer on June 03, 2017, 03:04:49 PM
SCORE!!!! Blackfin sashimi, courtesy of The Tank, fishing bridled planer and red / black Islander Jr  / ballyhoo combo, 55 miles off Carolina Beach. More pics coming

nice fish nice reel nice deck

Bill B

That's a money shot...Good job brother.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Wat to go John, you were determined to getting it done and did it.
Godd Job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

troutman561

So does anyone have The Tank reserved for October? Assuming the weather holds I do an annual 24-36 hour trip out of Destin. Did really well on grouper last year and this year we will be chasing wahoo/swords/deep Warsaw and gag grouper. Weather permitting of course and fall is always hit or miss but if available I'd love to fish the tank side by side with the 114 I modded from the info on this site. Here are some pics from the last 2 trips. My friend Si continues to hold the title of catching the biggest fish each time so I might have to have him take a crack at it. He is the one with the big red and Warsaw. It isa damn shame that with these insane federal rules that the red snapper was out of season and we watched it float away as it had to be released :(
IMG_3032" border="0
IMG_3039" border="0

STRIPER LOU

Dominick

Great.  I love to keep the Tank moving.  Give me the dates in October.  I usually go back to Los Cabos the last week in October.  Also PM me your information.  Dominick

troutman561

Quote from: Dominick on June 05, 2017, 12:28:43 AM
Great.  I love to keep the Tank moving.  Give me the dates in October.  I usually go back to Los Cabos the last week in October.  Also PM me your information.  Dominick

Last year it was the first weekend of October but we are not sure yet. Waiting to hear from the group. Hopefully I will know soon. I will be in touch once I know.

thorhammer

Dominick, Tank on its way. Tracking is in your PM. There was no cover on it when received this time so I sent it back with one. Stripped off appx. 100 yds and rewound through a freshwater rinse after cleaning spool flanges. Final wipe with Penn cleaner. Checked under stand foot; grease is good. NOTE: The handle and Lou's knob are in separate ziplocs; the Tank is bubble wrapped. Don't chuck the box and leave your handle in it, lol. Will post the boat pics when my buddy sends to me. I'll send you a write-up and you can staple into log book when it turns up.

Thank you for the opportunity at redemption!

John

Dominick

Redemption is not complete until you say 5 hail marys.  ::) Dominick