THE TANK TRAVELS THE WORLD-PHOTOS AND REPORTS TO COME

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

Quote from: ijlal on September 29, 2017, 12:51:58 AM
Quote from: Dominick on September 28, 2017, 11:19:06 PM
Dave the whole purpose of the last post was to ask Ijlal the safest way to ship.  If you have not been in the middle east you don't know what confusion is.  I don't know but when I was there the secret police used to come and bring me to the P.O.  Those were strange times.  Dominick

Hello Dominick,

That concern was among some of mine too; however, I do not live in Egypt. I live in Karachi, Pakistan. I have had tackle from the US shipped through USPS delivered to my home many times in the past. Once I ordered 4 reels from Tackle Direct - One 6/0 and three spinners. Never had a problem so far. Once I ordered fifty speed jigs from China that the customs people could not identify, and because of the quantity, they held them back and sent me a letter to visit them. I had to go pay the duty to clear them up and then they were delivered to me by post.

I know what you mean about the address problem in the Middle East. I have lived in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, and always ordered stuff to my office address. Here in Pakistan, we have a well defined address system with postal code identical to your 5-digit Zip.

I do understand your concern, as the Tank must be worth a fortune. I had decided if I do ask for it, I would return it through a courier service, as international parcels sent through the Pakistan Post are known to take 3-4 weeks delivery time. Inbound packages from USPS have always been delivered to me in 7-10 days. I once had a packet delivered the fourth or fifth day!

Another concern I had was that I fish from local wooden boats that are rough and crude. I am apprehensive it might put a scratch or two on the tank, despite taking care of it. Not saying it will definitely get scratched, but that's a possibility.

Lastly, I would say do not send it unless you are completely comfortable with the idea.

Best regards,
Ijlal

I think the spirit of the Tank is that it get used; while it is an object of engineering beauty it is no shelf reel - surely a couple of minor nicks and scratches will only add to it's character.

Dominick

Ijlal, I don't worry about scratches.  BTW I recognized the Lal name but I thought when you introduced yourself you said you were in Egypt.  It must have been someone else.  I expect that anyone using the Tank will treat it like a piece of their own equipment.  Scratches happen.  The rings are stainless steel made by Chris (Rothmar2).  If they get a little scratched I can buff them.  By all means please use it and enjoy it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ijlal

Thank you Dominick! Please rest assured I shall take care of your reel more than I take care of mine.

Best,
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

Jenx

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 27, 2017, 11:47:15 PM
If you access the website via google chrome, they have a photobucket plugin that will allow you to see the pictures.

That was really helpful. Thank you. It's like a whole new thread for me now.

Crow

I agree !  A picture....sometimes...is worth a thousand words !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

This travels-the-world thing is getting interesting.
-steve

Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ijlal

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 26, 2017, 01:33:40 AM
Quote from: ijlal on September 24, 2017, 02:03:18 AM
Wow! What a great thread. Came across it today and couldn't stop before I had gone through each post. I would love to give the TANK a really good taste of the Arabian Sea! I do my big game  November-December when the sea's calm enough for trips to the shelf. As far as I can see, The Tank is overdue for a really good hurting!  ;D
Hello ijlal, if you are serious about using the Tank, please send me your address on a private message and I will ship it to you.

Best,
Sal

Okay folk, I am ready to fish the Tank on my offshore trips!  ;D

Let me clarify why I got interested in asking to borrow the Tank in the first place.

Without doubt, The Tank is a masterpiece and I would be honored to have fished with it, but this alone was not the main reason for asking for it. It was the thread itself that got me excited. I thought about the Tank traveling around the world, and ending up for some time in a country none would have thought of! Being part of this wonderful community, I thought I just might be able to add something significant to the Tank's 'Hall of Worldwide Fame'.

I have a minimum of 3-4 trips to the continental shelf planned in November and December and would love to substitute one of my 30 2-speeds with the Tank. Furthermore, I would be fishing every week from now till mid December, sometimes more than once a week, so let's see what contribution I can add to Tank's catches. I'll be shipping it back before 12/15 when I have to travel up country to attend my niece's wedding.

Sal, sending you a PM...

Cheers!
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

broadway

I've seen some of the monsters you pull in and know the tank is up to the task.  I'm looking forward to the photos and hearing your stories.
Go get 'em
Dom

Dominick

Ijlal I have the Tank.  PM me with shipping information and I will send it to you.  You will be fishing more days than I so will defer to you.  Dominick

Alto Mare

Dominick, I gave Ijlal that information a couple of hours earlier.
Quote from: Rivverrat on September 28, 2017, 10:44:01 PM
I'd be up for trying the Tank for Big Cat's. Not this year though. Sal, if your OK with it maybe next spring? ....Jeff
I don't see why not Jeff, but Dominick needs to agree.
I put the reel together using the custom parts we have available, well actually before the custom parts were available. The Tank started most on custom parts here.
It now belongs to Dominick, so he is the boss.
Thanks for the interest Jeff, it would be cool seeing it in action on some cats.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bhale1

Wow!!! This thread just keeps getting better.... Can't wait for the next reports! Thanks Dominick for allowing this to happen! ....Pics please...
Brett

ijlal

Quote from: Dominick on October 04, 2017, 02:01:02 AM
Ijlal I have the Tank.  PM me with shipping information and I will send it to you.  You will be fishing more days than I so will defer to you.  Dominick

Thank you, Dominick! You sure are a gentleman!

Best,
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

Dominick

Quote from: ijlal on October 05, 2017, 02:15:45 AM
Quote from: Dominick on October 04, 2017, 02:01:02 AM

Thank you, Dominick! You sure are a gentleman!

Best,
Ijlal
On its way today.  Dominick