THE TANK TRAVELS THE WORLD-PHOTOS AND REPORTS TO COME

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2015, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Quote from: RowdyW on December 09, 2017, 08:10:00 PM
Ijlal, I beleive the double dogs are engaging simultanious not alternating so the back play is the same as a stock reel. That is unless Sal put in a 10 tooth gear sleeve (standard is 8 teeth) then the back play would be only slightly less.      Rudy

Thanks Rudy. I really have no issues even with the stock reel's back play while trolling, but it becomes a nuisance when jigging. The tank definitely had less back play than a stock Senator.

Best,
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

Dominick

Ijlal, please PM me the information for the photo of the Tank in the prow of the boat.  I will add it to the photo.  Thanks.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: ijlal on December 10, 2017, 12:50:29 AM
Sal,

Just wondering if there is any possibility of adding an anti reverse clutch to that beast? With that narrow spool, it would make such a great jigging reel for tuna and big AJ's. I know, the anti-reverse won't hold up to the heavy drag that the Tank is capable of but for that we have the two dogs.

Cheers.
Ijlal
Ijlal, we have members here that could pretty much do anything to these reels; if they wanted to.
This reel could have two speed, anti reverse clutch and so on, the problem is on who would be willing to get that involved with this.
I'm not a machinist or designer, I did have a little something to do with that custom bridge you see above and a few other things, but wouldn't know where to start with installing an additional anti reverse clutch or maybe even the two speed.
I know you didn't mention two speed, I'm just trying to get someone here excited enough to do it for us ...I wish :).
Depending on the type of fishing, I believe we came a long way with the Tank.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ez2cdave

Looks like it's about time for Aluminum sideplates for the Tank !

Tight Lines !

RowdyW

I think Sal wants to keep it looking like an original Penn Senator. Once the plates are replaced the reel will lose it's identity. Besides that the plates haven't warped or cracked yet. But I think it's time for Tom's offset s/s handle arm to make the reel a little more compact.       Rudy

ijlal

Quote from: Dominick on December 10, 2017, 04:49:29 AM
Ijlal, please PM me the information for the photo of the Tank in the prow of the boat.  I will add it to the photo.  Thanks.  Dominick

Done.

BTW, that green top shot is 50lb Trilene Big Game tied to the braid with an FG knot. You may use it, as is, if you feel comfortable.

Best,
Ijlal
I live 'fishing'!

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on December 10, 2017, 07:17:11 AM
I think Sal wants to keep it looking like an original Penn Senator. Once the plates are replaced the reel will lose it's identity. Besides that the plates haven't warped or cracked yet. But I think it's time for Tom's offset s/s handle arm to make the reel a little more compact.       Rudy
Yep! correct again Rudy.
Aluminum plates are a good upgrade I own Red-Blue-Silver-Gold-Black and Green, but the Tank needs to stay as is or it would lose its identity.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Hey Sal , What! No Purple???   ;D

Dominick

Hey guys go back to page 29.  Ijlal modified his post to show that the Tank fished the Arabian Sea.  Let's keep it going to exotic places around the world.  Who's next?  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

I hear....CRICKETS.....three months and not even a trip in site...what's going on people!!!!  Someone go fishing. The Tank is getting p$$d off in Dominick's cabinet  ;D

Bill B

When I visited in January I tried sneaking it out in my jacket but was frisked before leaving ::).  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

El Pescador

Dominick,

I am officially requesting the use of your beloved TANK around June 17, 2018.

Due to travel on the east coast (to see our beautiful Grandchildren), I will have time to fish out of Bermuda - looking to do some reef fishing.

Let me know if my timeslot fits on the Tank Travel schedule.

Tanks,  Buddy Boy,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Wayne you really don't need a reel that tough to catch bait fish.  :D  I'll put it on the calendar.  I should be back from Baja by then.  Dominick

gstours

Thanks Sal,  for keeping the Tanks identity.   It's a beautiful thing as it is.  wow, 👩‍🔧 and it's been fished on my 🚣‍♀️ boat.   I would love to build you an offset stainless crank arm.   it's an offer? 🤷‍♂️ then come up yourself and fish alongside other tanks proudly.   
   As if the side plates might have failed by now,  they are well engineered and seem to hold up.   Thanks for your contributions to the development and help to us all!🙋‍♂️

Dominick

Hey butt-man what would you need to build an offset handle?  I very much liked the handle on your tank.  It felt very compact.  Playing big fish in Mexico there is the problem of the reel twisting.  It gets exhausting holding the rod and trying to keep it from twisting.  Dominick