Penn Mag Tuned 10

Started by Alto Mare, November 14, 2015, 11:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

This little reel came through my hands, I was never crazy about Lever Wind, but I must say, I really like what I see

It comes packed with goodies:
Nice set of gears, two bearings, a well designed pressure plug for tension adjustment to control spool speed,
a magnet custom installed and tuned by the factory permanently positioned on the bridge, where it is most effective

Parts are all cleaned and ready to go back in

this reel does not need a thing, it will do just fine as is, but i had to put something in there,
a ss sleeve and ss dog

and a perfect fit

If some are considering making their own dog, here is what I used. I'm going to recommend not to, its a lot of work.

here is a pic of the magnet mounted on the bridge

being that tiny, its very strong

and here is the finished reel

I forgot to mention i've also added the new spacer from Pro Challenger

and of course Sal's handle ;D

I'm really starting to like these reels, if you guys like them as well, you better hurry up and get some, mine multiply quick ;D

These are new in the box.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

reelrepair123

very nice  ''hot rodding ''  sal.      harryk

Tightlines667

Those are great little reels, and it looks like you made them even better.  

My dad has one I grew up Salmon, and saltwater bottomfishing with.  This reminds me that I have been meaning to service it since I don't think it has been opened since he got it in the 70s.  

Too bad one can't just order the magnets for magging some of the smaller Penns.  Oh.. wait... I guess you can... part 301-10($16.60), & 301A-10($4.65).  Drill and tap the bridge and... Voila... a magged Penn is born.

As always, nice job Sal!

PS I hope this post didn't drive the market up on these fine little gems?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

The Penn 10 was my favorite king salmon reel when I lived in Alaska.  I think I might have a few SS dogs for them if anyone wants one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, put me down for a couple if you make them. Those will need to be very close to stock or the eccentric won't work.

I don't know John, maybe I did drive them up a little....now that you've mentioned it. ::) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 15, 2015, 01:21:52 AM
Lee, put me down for a couple if you make them. Those will need to be very close to stock or the eccentric won't work.

I don't know John, maybe I did drive them up a little....now that you've mentioned it. ::) ;D

I'll look for them, they were all in my 10 and worked.  I cut some for the 210 too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

xaf

I have 3 of them somewhere. I used to use them offshore for catching bait but haven't used them in years.  If I remember correctly the level wind has a plastic gear that tends to be stripped easily.

Keta

The plastic gear strips so a finger does not get cut off.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

That sounds like experience talking Lee.
Good work Sal. ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 15, 2015, 06:27:53 PM
That sounds like experience talking Lee.
Good work Sal. ;)

Not me but I've seen it happen a few times.

Mark Twain

thorhammer

I love these. I'll still use the 10's for livebaiting stripers and the 210's for downrigging.

Sal, where can get those trick handles?

Shark Hunter

Adam makes them. Three Se7ens.
He has his own spot on here.
Motive Fabrication. The maker of the inserts and many other goodies.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Ahhhhhh noted.... Thanks!!!

Rancanfish

I'm not going to go there,  but I wonder if any Tib frames would work.  Remove the levelwind of course.

Sort of a magged Surfmaster / Squidder sort of thing.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Decker

Sal, thanks.  Two questions: 1) Does a brass dog wear out fast on an SS sleeve? I ask because I'm putting an SS sleeve on my Squidder.   2) Is there a replacement bar available for removing the levelwind?  Thanks again.

Update April 2018:  Bar to replace the level-wind:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25045.0