MacGyver Slow Fall Jigs -aka -SteveO-CheapO-Jigs

Started by Steve-O, November 20, 2015, 10:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Late this past summer as I geared up for my AK trip, I had the itch to try jigging for Rockfish and Cod so I made three, cast lead, crippled herring jigs and then bought some of similar size and weight to test them against. Well the results came back quickly that they both caught fish as most species up there will bite just about anything you put in front of them. The main difference in catching rate that I could tell was in the angler's skills. The guys on the dock beside me were catching, but I was hauling up fish at a two to one rate; putting at least a dozen of the 32 fish we caught between 5 anglers. My most productive jig was one of the self cast herring jigs. The others I tried also caught but this one must have been just the right combination of weight to depth, rod action and line tension because it felt "just right".  

The jigging bug has bitten me but the cost of factory made jigs is biting my wallet. For my birthday I received 12 jigs at the average cost of $6.00 per and these were mostly 20, 40 and 80 gram jigs with only two @ 170 grams. Total of $70!

So I started researching how to make them and where to get some lead. Found the lead locally. Guess how much a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights weighs? 140 #'s! Total cost $42.00 or 30¢ a pound or 2¢ an ounce. Which equates to an 80 gram jig containing 6¢  of lead.Wow! what a difference.  With a little holographic tape, printed eye sticker,  a clear coat of epoxy and assist hooks the tally runs up to less than a buck fifty each. And that is mostly for the hooks.  Sure feels better thinking about losing that amount to the ocean gods who lurk below and ensnare tackle permanently than losing $5, $10, or $15 each time you break off.
The inspiration came from the posters - jcool3 and edmartz - THANKS!

Now I just need a trip to the big pond to go jigging!

Steve-O

The jig that started it all,....the balsa masters, the mold and the backs of the jigs.

The above jigs are 2@160 grams, a 150 gram. The herring is a 100grams. The silver and green are 70 and 90 grams respectively.

They are between 3 and 6 inches long.

Steve-O

The mold was made out of Durhams Rock Hard Water putty which is mostly talc with some quartz and iron oxide. Very heat resistant stuff when cured.

johndtuttle

Love it Steve!  ;D

Especially with the rod and reel combo. Perfect for west coast NA cold water jigging.  ;)

Dominick

Steve I like the stuff you do.  You are either very talented or very cheap.   ;) Confession time, own up.  Which is it or is it both?   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on November 20, 2015, 11:47:57 PM
Steve I like the stuff you do.  You are either very talented or very cheap.   ;) Confession time, own up.  Which is it or is it both?   ::) Dominick

If you make your own jigs you can afford that rod & reel.

Great work Steve!

Steve-O

Quote from: Dominick on November 20, 2015, 11:47:57 PM
Steve I like the stuff you do.  You are either very talented or very cheap.   ;) Confession time, own up.  Which is it or is it both?   ::) Dominick

Gee, Dominick, you put me on the spot. Let's see.... Frugal, yet generous where it counts. Inquisitive, Crafty and creative by nature...and a frequent dumpster diver.  ;D

Dominick

Steve-O nothing to be embarrassed about.  :-*  I really like your creativity.  :-* I think I should have used frugal instead, I thought I was being funny using the other word.  I have now buried the c word.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Steve-O is frugally talented. When you make it all yourself. It makes it that much more rewarding.
Life is Good!

Steve-O

Thanks, guys.

Okay, now let's turn off the spotlight on me and see who wants to take one of these jigs fishing....preferably in the Pacific northwest area where it is intended to fish...but California waters will do.

Anyone hitting the waters in the next little while?

PM me and I will send you either a killer fish catching jig....or a bottom snagger...whichever comes first.* :D

* conditional upon actually going fishing with it in said waters and sharing photographic proof AND the adventure on this site afterwards.

Disclaimer: this offer is valid for only a limited time....like this or next month only. CONUS, HI, AK only.
And no this isn't any preemptive ploy or marketing strategy to pre-advertise a start up jig manufacturing business. Just something fun for me to do and share. That's it.

David Hall

Steve You and I are kindred spirits when it comes to rock fishing, save your money for the great upgrades and let the rocks have their share without breaking your bank.
i would be happy to carry one these beauties ou to my secret rock fishing spot but it won't be until January before I get out, I'll pm you my address.  After I slay a few fish and record the deed with my trusty mini waterproof camera and post it up here I would pack that jig up and mail it on to someone else to try it in other waters, why should the tank be the only thing traveling the world?

Steve-O

Alrighty then! January fits, too. Specify color preference and size, please. I just edited the weights.

Larger sizes are 160 grams the wide one is 150 grams.

Smaller green and silver sardiners are 70 and 90 grams or in the 3 oz range. And I'm getting some super stout assist hooks either tomorrow or next week. Or you can say no hooks, I use my own.

PS- DH, got it!

broschro

Steve-O

Quote from: broschro on November 21, 2015, 07:36:56 PM
this will be fun. I'm game in FL when ready.

When you most likely hit the water next?  David Hall is talking January.  I would love to see one put a hurting on some AJ's, snappers, groupers and whatever else you can jig up. Let me know, red, green, all silver, or striped. Silver with black stripes coming up next.

David Hall

150+ gram silver, blue, purple, I use mostly just straight glow in the dark stuff usually but I think these will kill them any color so surprise me.