My first servicing and the simplest thing made me insane! But I learned!

Started by TheReelShop, November 21, 2015, 08:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

So I received my first reel to service. Ive done already several reels prior to this one so I was confident. I received two Penn International 30TW's

Single speed, straight forward, and so I moved on.

The grease appeared rusty brown and old, so I gave it all a good cleaning and re-grease!!

Here I had the spool shaft just like it came out with the bellvilles in a ()() and the thrust washer in front of the gear. Pictured is prior to me cleaning.

This reel's spool bearings are the same as the Right Main Side Bearing. Nonetheless here is the bearing

Here is the drag washer which I found to be dry so I coated with Cal's as learned here amongst Alan and the rest..

So throughout the tear down, I felt the reel had been used hard and it hadn't been serviced in a while.

Once I cleaned and greased, I placed everything back. now here was my problem. Once I assembled everything, it would not freespool. Its as if there was mashing going on. I found it odd. So I made sure everything was tightened and finally I had freespool and I could turn the handle. Now with the Preset knob backed off completely and no adjustment made, when I raised the lever drag to STRIKE it would still free spool and the handle turned but with slight resistance (normal as your applying pressure). Once I went to FULL the Handle was very DIFFICULT to turn but it would turn. Mind you this was with the preset off completely. So this is going on all damn day and I couldn't figure this crap out. I almost felt incompetent especially when every other reel I've dealt with gave me no problem.

So I gave Alan a call and BaaaaaMMMMM!! as he was guiding me through, it turned out to be a bad right main bearing. I felt such a relief that I hadnt been doing anything wrong, but funny that I've never came across a bad bearing and so when I checked it out it did not appear or feel bad (that's where experience plays important).

Sometimes the simple things cause the worst problems and we just need to take our time to separate while frustrated and relax... ALAN thanks for helping me out with this.

I am always open to constructive criticism as this leads to a productive outcome and skill when open to learn.

Here is the sucker

I wont get rid of it now as a reminder of being patient and learn as I/we go through new or challenging moments.

alantani

hey, i'm just glad it worked out. thanks for the post.  i'm certain this will help many guys down the line!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Boy this one brings back memories.  I mean I think we have all been there, and sometimes you need a microscope and a degree to diagnose a problem, but most times it is something simple.  In the case of reels, bearings are the first things to fail.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  Good thing you didn't ask me for help, I may have had you procure a microscope.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

To me,

When, upon examination, there are no broken parts obvious --

First thing I look at is bearings, spring washers, tweaked spool shafts, and if applicable -- tweaked posts, stands.

Those are the most common culprits 95% of the time -- because they are prone to failure.

Saves a lot of diagnosis time.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TheReelShop

Quote from: alantani on November 21, 2015, 08:37:15 PM
hey, i'm just glad it worked out. thanks for the post.  i'm certain this will help many guys down the line!

Thanks!!

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 21, 2015, 08:53:38 PM
Boy this one brings back memories.  I mean I think we have all been there, and sometimes you need a microscope and a degree to diagnose a problem, but most times it is something simple.  In the case of reels, bearings are the first things to fail.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  Good thing you didn't ask me for help, I may have had you procure a microscope.

LoL

Quote from: foakes on November 21, 2015, 09:00:11 PM
To me,

When, upon examination, there are no broken parts obvious --

First thing I look at is bearings, spring washers, tweaked spool shafts, and if applicable -- tweaked posts, stands.

Those are the most common culprits 95% of the time -- because they are prone to failure.

Saves a lot of diagnosis time.

Best,

Fred

Will keep that in mind!!!