Knobs, Knobs and More Handle Knobs!!!!!!!!

Started by Black Pearl, November 23, 2015, 12:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeS51

Just ordered myself a 45 mm! These look awesome

MikeS51

Alan these knobs are incredible, thank you. Far superior to even the one that came on my saltiga!! Another order on the way

Black Pearl

Quote from: MikeS51 on March 31, 2016, 10:02:43 PM
Alan these knobs are incredible, thank you. Far superior to even the one that came on my saltiga!! Another order on the way

You did a very good job. Now you know how to install this knob.

Marcq

Alan!! Was wondering, why the gap between the arm and the shank of the knob on the previous pic ? Is it the way it's supposed to be installed?

Marc..

PacRat

That flare at the end of the shank is a shroud that covers the bearing. That is not the bearing that you can see against the arm. The bearing is concealed under the flare.
Mike

Marcq

Quote from: PacRat on April 01, 2016, 02:55:41 AM
That flare at the end of the shank is a shroud that covers the bearing. That is not the bearing that you can see against the arm. The bearing is concealed under the flare.
Mike
I know, just looks odd, you would expect that the silver part would be against the arm flush

Or

Just my opinion but it looks added
Marc..

PacRat

Yep, that's what I thought. At first I thought I was seeing the bearing and I couldn't wrap my mind around how it was working but everyone seems very happy with them so I ordered just one to see how I like it. I wanted to see which size fits my hand best. So far it seems very nice but I haven't fished it yet. I love Alan T's 3/0 handles but I was looking for something a bit lighter lighter. I will likely purchase a couple more with my next order.

Marcq

I'm on the fence, maybe shave some of it so it's closer to the arm?
Marc..

MikeS51

Quote from: Marcq on April 01, 2016, 06:22:38 AM
I'm on the fence, maybe shave some of it so it's closer to the arm?
Marc..

Marc, as mentioned what you see is normal. The two bearings inside are not exposed. The end of the shaft is what you are seeing. Take a look at the new pro gear V series knobs, looks like the same thing. For only like ~$22 shipped it's worth trying out the 45 mm. I think anyone who likes Eva knows will be very happy. It spins like a top on there !

Alto Mare

Marc, as the guys have mentioned the gap is normal on those. That is actually the size of the shaft that has been reduced on the upper part to accept the bearings.
A much better design in my opinion, instead of having a straight shaft that has a washer as a spacer for the bearing, this one has a foot keeping the knob secured.
You could get creative there and place a ring of the correct size, but it would only be cosmetic.

I am ok with as they are, doesn't really bother me. Some of my Accurate have the same.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Odd that the  Model ALU-95 does not seem to have that

Anyway will probably end up with the eva 45 and find a washer for it

Marc..

Marcq

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 01, 2016, 04:40:10 PM
Quote from: Marcq on April 01, 2016, 03:59:43 PM
Odd that the  Model ALU-95 does not seem to have that

Anyway will probably end up with the eva 45 and find a washer for it

Marc..

Marc; Refresh my memory. But why do you need a washer? Is the screw to long? If so you can shorten it with a file or belt sander or dremel tool.

Joe
To fill the gap between the shank of the knob and the arm like on MikeS51 pic

Marc..

fishhawk

Great knobs alan! The bearings in those are some of the fastest I've ever seen! I would be interested in some smaller eva knobs, say like 40 or 35mm.

Marcq

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 01, 2016, 06:40:11 PM
If you mean the difference of Diam. between the two, well that's negotiable. But your the one that has to be satisfied. ;) ;D

Joe
Yup! that's what I meant :)
Marc..

anglingarchitect

I think a good handle is the single bigest thing you can do to improve performance of the system and heavy drags.

just my opinion ;)