Drag cams and ramps??

Started by gstours, November 23, 2015, 12:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I sure enjoy watching you fish.  I am sorry you had to do this one solo though, you could have used at least one extra hand for tying that fish off.

gstours

This  is the final take of the drag lever as it was described.

and the cam with the notch as finished and tested.

this is the factory drag washer.  shiny and hard.   what material is it?    I dunno?    not good.
This is a new carbon fiber washer that replaces the old hard one.   works great....

the new carbon fiber one is .015'' inch thicker.

heres how i made the new one.  was quite easy.  clamped the fiber sheet between the wood and drilled thru  slowly.

the old washer was the pattern for the hole placement.

snips cut the rough out and final filing and grinding made it round to fit.

again the finished product works great,  greased and smooth.  waaay better,  with 30# max and fair freespool.  After rearranging the bellevelles and adding one more,  from a penn 16s,  fit fine and just happened to have a couple spares.

I will dig out some more as time permits.   :)

gstours

This ws to be the last picture instead of the duplicate other sheet.    sorry.

gstours

Seems to work much better now, and to my liking.  I,m trying to break it in.  I want to thank everyone that kept me determined and helped steer the boat to better understand  what was eventually a lucky strike, or 2.    Alans Forum is the Best.......

gstours

As some of the pictures need reposting,  here is some recent work on my progress with the China 🇨🇳 test reel.  It's a size 16 by most standards.  Hi gear is about 3.6\1 and low gear 2/1 .  I got it as a project reel. 
It's hard for you folks to follow my thread as photo bucket made their sabbatoge on us.👎🤷‍♂️
    Dominick and others.    Below is the most recent test.    Thanks 🙏.

gstours

The small reel is not perfect.  butt w the upgrades its pretty good now.  Its another ugly duckling so to speak.   butt its caught several thousand pounds of fish! ;)

thanks for watching :)      Thanks to Alan T   for making this site available Too. ;D

gstours

This reel is proving to be a good one. ;)  At one point I was ready to trash it, as it came from china, Butt instead this project reel taught me something you would not learn any other way.  That is.   What if.      Sorry about the earlier pictures being blanked out.???? ???

gstours

After a lot of work, and learning to learn,  Its time to fish.  lets see.  what do you think,  about a hundred bucks.  plus . ???

Rivverrat

Gary, I really like that boat & love these videos you post. Also it's great to see you took a reel that some might sneer at & made it work very well for what you do... Jeff