My Old school shrimp flies

Started by Big Tim, November 24, 2015, 12:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

Back in the day we would dumpster dive for the old style folding aluminum chairs with the nylon webbing and cut the webbing out of the chairs and strip apart the nylon and tie shrimp flies with the webbing for Rock Cod fishing...Fish tear up the webbing and we re tie them on the cheap. Yesterday I spotted a bunch of webbing at my sons place up in the hills...He thinks I'm weird because I got excited about a bag full of nylon webbing  ;D

A few small supplies

mount the 7/0 hook into the vise and take a few strands of the tensile and hand wrap over the shank then wrap a few winds of thread, add a dab of clear nail polish

take 1 strand of the black, bend it in 1/2 and lay it on top of the tensile with the tag ends forward and trow on a few winds of thread

next lay a handful of the nylon webbing over the top and pinch it down along the sides as well (webbing abut 6" long) attach with a few winds on the thread and add a dab of nail polish

fold all the webbing back over itself leaving the black sticking out forward and wrap to desired look

throw on a few half hitch knots, trim thread, add nail polish, trim webbing to desired length

Working on a few color patterns...Looks like easy Christmas presents to a few friends  ;D

Bill B

Tim...that's really cool....did you ever work at CISCOs in Oxnard?   I had a friend that worked there in the 70's and we used to make the same flies and sell them at the docks for $2...the line and hooks were "donated...   ::)  but we used pipe cleaner instead of thread to secure the webbing......I have a few J hooks lying around...might have to make some over the winter.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Big Tim

Quote from: TARFU on November 24, 2015, 02:14:34 AM
Tim...that's really cool....did you ever work at CISCOs in Oxnard?   I had a friend that worked there in the 70's and we used to make the same flies and sell them at the docks for $2...the line and hooks were "donated...   ::)  but we used pipe cleaner instead of thread to secure the webbing......I have a few J hooks lying around...might have to make some over the winter.....Bill

Bill when I got out of the Navy in 1985 I started fishing Virg's Landing again and met a guy named Stan Ball, he was famous for his custom rods with 3 Seagull feathers glassed in. He had a 10 hook ganion with these flies on it and would winch up sometimes 10 fish at a time. We fished 500+ depths back then and I asked him to teach me to make them and build me a few rods. We became good friends and all my meat sticks were Harnell blanks & when I was in Morro Bay I would go to his house and help him tie these flies. He is long since passed but when I found the webbing at my sons house all those memories came back and I couldn't resit bringing the Ol' Days back to life. They are simple but lethal with a small strip of squid  ;D

BT

swill88

Bryan Young

Those look great and I bet very durable.

Thanks Tim.  I really have to start tying flies again...among my other fishing hobbies.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

You don't need me to tell you those will catch! :)

So I will tell you to tie up some circles!  :D

Big Tim

Quote from: johndtuttle on November 24, 2015, 06:18:53 PM
You don't need me to tell you those will catch! :)

So I will tell you to tie up some circles!  :D

Send me some circles John and I will make them catch fish  ;D ;D

BT

David Hall

So good to see the old days revived, nicely done and I'm sure they catch fish. 

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Big Tim

Thanks all...Fun stuff to

BT