Making a wiiide Penn #65 Long Beach

Started by Superhook, November 24, 2015, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: noyb72 on November 28, 2015, 11:55:17 PM
Interesting, I didn't think the Senator and 99 stand holes lined up. Not that there are a bunch of 99 bases floating around but that does increase the opportunities for making Grouper Specials.

Ron

They were just a hair off Ron. All I had to do was enlarge the holes a little for all the holes on the 99 seat to line up. Rest of parts are a LB66.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

There is another senator configuration left to be invented. After narrowing a standard 4/0, I realized the 4/0 could also be widened just like it's high speed brethren the 113H, that was widened to the HLW. By using a 113HLW seat and posts and a long beach 68 spool, you can widen a standard 4/0 senator. Just a thought.

RowdyW

The wide 4/0's were done at the same time as the narrowed Grouper Special along with my changing the gear ratio to 2.4:1. Sal has since then upped it to 2.6:1 & double dogged it.

Alto Mare

We talked about this a year or two ago, it's here somewhere in black & white.
The 66-67 & 68 spool will give you a narrow- a standard and a wide 4/0.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe 66-67 & 68 spool will give you a narrow- a standard and a wide 4/0.

As Ted states.

The wide 4/0 is not as simple as exchanging the Penn 68 spool. You need a 113HLW stand and you can use the cross bars off the Penn 68. Your Penn 68 reel does not have to go to waste after you take the needed parts to widen the 4/0 from it. You can take the heavy duty solid bronze 4/0 spool, use the heavy duty 4/0 cross bars +1 and add a Squidder stand to create a Penn Senator, Model 68.

Penn Long Beach 4/0 on the left, Penn Senator Model 68 on the right.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 30, 2015, 02:47:20 AM
QuoteThe 66-67 & 68 spool will give you a narrow- a standard and a wide 4/0.

The wide 4/0 is not as simple as exchanging the Penn 68 spool. You need a 113HLW stand and you can use the cross bars off the Penn 68. Your Penn 68 reel does not have to go to waste after you take the needed parts to widen the 4/0 from it. You can take the heavy duty solid bronze 4/0 spool, use the heavy duty 4/0 cross bars +1 and add a Squidder stand to create a Penn Senator, Model 68.

Penn Long Beach 4/0 on the left, Penn Senator Model 68 on the right.
Yes I'm aware, just giving the general idea. As mentioned above, this one was talked about a while back, I just don't feel digging for it at the moment.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

[/quote]Don't you mean a Senator Model 67?

Penn Chronology

QuoteDon't you mean a Senator Model 67?

Nope, you need a Model 68 to match the width of the 113HLW stand.

RowdyW

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 30, 2015, 05:58:59 AM
QuoteDon't you mean a Senator Model 67?

Nope, you need a Model 68 to match the width of the 113HLW stand.
But if you use the 4/0 spool & 4/0 cross bars on the LB 68 plates it won't be any wider then a 4/0 or 67 & it would be a LB 67 with a heavy spool. Why a squidder stand when a 67 stand will fit? You need a 68 spool,68 posts,& 113HLW stand on the Senator 4/0 plates which then would be a Senator 4/0 Wide. I think stating it this way is a little more understandable.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 29, 2015, 06:54:59 PM

Sorry about the repeat info Sal. I've been living under a rock somewhere.

In the future I'll just keep my frankenreels to myself and my laboratory. I do have some custom parts being machined right now at a local machine shop,...but likely nothing anyone hasn't seen before

Alto Mare

Quote from: Max Doubt on November 30, 2015, 06:45:42 AM

Sorry about the repeat info Sal. I've been living under a rock somewhere.

In the future I'll just keep my frankenreels to myself and my laboratory. I do have some custom parts being machined right now at a local machine shop,...but likely nothing anyone hasn't seen before
No Ted, don't you ever stop showing what you got cooking, I just wanted to mention that this one was already talked about.
You know, I tried finding that info and couldn't, maybe I was dreaming.
No, it is here somewhere, but obviously not easy to find, I don't blame you for not seeing it.
Now I'm glad you did refresh it, so the newer guys get that info.
Keep it coming my friend, I'm learning a lot from you and I'm sure so is everyone else.
Thank you Ted!

mhc

It was hidden in your Grouper Special thread Sal, towards the bottom of page 2 http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.15

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 02, 2014, 02:54:52 PM
I mean a Tib frame you can just slap on a stock 4/0 Black without any other mods.
Yes, as mentioned earlier there are options for the narrow, standard and wide. Tiburon has the frames for all three options.
Scotts has the spools, but the narrow aluminum is not available from Tiburon or Scotts.

The Longbeach 66-67 and 68 will give you the narrow-standard and wide.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Thanks for finding that one, I thought there was one with details.
Anyway, if going with a topless Tiburon frame the combination for making the 113 4/0 in three different sizes, using the longbeach spool would be:
Tiburon topless frame T4N+29-66 spool............narrow
Tiburon topless frame   T4+29-113 spool...........standard
Tiburon topless frame T4W+29-68 spool............wide
There are other options as for aluminum spools or metal spools, again just a general idea. it is basically the same concept.
The reason we're mentioning these upgrades is that the 113 black does not have the options as the 113H does.
The 113H is available in 4different sizes, again, based on Tiburon:
T4K narrow-T4 standard-T4W wide and T4Wex extra wide.

Now, here is where it gets a little confusing, if you add Newell into the mix, you might get 2 more sizes,  I'm not really sure.
Maybe the guys from Hawaii could chime in on those.
Sal

Maxed Out

Sal, I looked at that thread and that particular narrowed 4/0 is done with aftermarket frame. I didn't see your narrowed 4/0 using only penn seat and frame posts.

I am using penn factory parts to narrow these. Seat, posts, etc. My guess is there must be a bit of interest on this subject by looking at the huge number of hits this thread has in just a few days.

xiphias

Newell "Marlin Special" (between a 4/0 standard and a 4/0 wide) Spool, base, bars.

Newell "Broadbill Special" (I think is the same width as a Tiburon extra wide 4/0)