revo inshore

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Wow! Looks like that thing would have desintegrated in saltwater environment. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Killerbug

Aluminum does not corrode in salt water, but aluminum can deteriorate by an electrolyte process when another metal is acting as a cathode. In this particular reel, there was no deterioration of the frame, besides where the alu was in contact with other metals.  I am not a metallurgist, and do not know the alloys used by ABU here, but it seems as the Toro series calls for some ekstra attention and more frequent maintenance than the Classic Ambassaduer. 

I think with some frequent maintenance this reel had been fine,  and on the positive side there was no rust in the bearings at all.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Alto Mare

Quote from: Killerbug on November 27, 2011, 02:23:52 PM
Aluminum does not corrode in salt water, but aluminum can deteriorate by an electrolyte process when another metal is acting as a cathode. In this particular reel, there was no deterioration of the frame, besides where the alu was in contact with other metals.  I am not a metallurgist, and do not know the alloys used by ABU here, but it seems as the Toro series calls for some ekstra attention and more frequent maintenance than the Classic Ambassaduer. 

I think with some frequent maintenance this reel had been fine,  and on the positive side there was no rust in the bearings at all.

Yes, I did hear electrolyte mentioned in the past, but will you ever find a reel with only one type of metal?
I think Penn used to use brass on all parts at one time.
I inquired about this a while back, when I was customizing some older Penn reels and combining stainless steel parts with brass parts. What I learned was that the reaction would be  so slow and  that it wouldn't be much of an issue :-\ .
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Aluminum + SS + saltwater=bad things. 

Look up the "Nobility Scale", the closer metals are on the scale the more compatible they are and they "play" together in saltwater much better.  Try aluminum and titanium is saltwater, the aluminum will bubble as it's ions rapidly move to the titanium.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on November 27, 2011, 03:47:04 PM
Aluminum + SS + saltwater=bad things. 

Look up the "Nobility Scale", the closer metals are on the scale the more compatible they are and they "play" together in saltwater much better.  Try aluminum and titanium is saltwater, the aluminum will bubble as it's ions rapidly move to the titanium.

Keta, do you or anyone else have any without?

Irish Jigger

[

[/quote]

[/quote]
With the trend towards lightweight  reels I'm afraid that corrosion will only add to additional maintenance costs.  Hard anodising
helps but is not the panacea to salt water environmental  issues..

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 27, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

If I could come up with a fastener that was strong and compatible with other metals in a saltwater or acid electrolyte I wouldn't be stuck in the mountains of SE Oregon feeding sheep.  Titanium frames and screws would work but $$$$.  Plastics aren't there yet.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Why are you complaining, I think you got the life. Do you make your own cheese? My brother just came back from Italy with a couple of wheels of sheep's milk cheese made from our farmers, so yummy! But you need a glass or two of good Merlot to wash it down ;).
Keta, I was referring to stainless steel, brass and aluminum. I'm sure every reels have some of it today.

Keta

We have the remnants of our flock and not enough to make it worth being chained to the animals.  Right now I'm breaking ice off the water troughs every morning and will soon have to do it twice a day.  I'd rather live somewhere warm and closer to saltwater but we own our place.

Mark Twain

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

redfish12

Thank you for the detailed breakdown!!! I use mine in saltwater and it was long overdue for a servicing. I opened it up today and found some problems... The bearing under the spool cap was locked up, the spool shaft stuck to the bearing, the kick lever is wearing, and the fiber washer under the drag stack was destroyed. I removed it and replaced it with an extra washer I had from an Abu 5500. It is the right size, but may not be thick enough. I'm having trouble putting the reel back in service but most of that is centered around the fact that I have misplaced the two flat washers that go between the anti-reverse sleeve and the drag click mechanism.

Question, is the 5500 carbon washer thick enough? Anyone know a good place to buy those washers in case I cannot locate mine?

alantani

smoothdrag has one that will work. measure out the stock washer and check her website.  she has dimensions listed.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redfish12

Thanks Alan! The washer I have will work, but somehow during the repair I lost the washers that go against the anti-revers gear sleeve. Anyone have a good source for these? Not the () washers but the ||.

Also, since I'll be using this reel in saltwater, would it be better to pack my bearings? (I followed the steps to make them all open)

Killerbug

Quote from: redfish12 on March 05, 2012, 08:32:23 PM
Thank you for the detailed breakdown!!! I use mine in saltwater and it was long overdue for a servicing. I opened it up today and found some problems... The bearing under the spool cap was locked up, the spool shaft stuck to the bearing, the kick lever is wearing, and the fiber washer under the drag stack was destroyed. I removed it and replaced it with an extra washer I had from an Abu 5500. It is the right size, but may not be thick enough. I'm having trouble putting the reel back in service but most of that is centered around the fact that I have misplaced the two flat washers that go between the anti-reverse sleeve and the drag click mechanism.

Question, is the 5500 carbon washer thick enough? Anyone know a good place to buy those washers in case I cannot locate mine?

Just a minor advice.  Be sure that your replacement washer has exactly the same thickness as the stock one, or the main gear/pinion might loose some of it's smoothness.  If you do this on a new reel, it doesn't matter, but with a used gear-set it does.

Killerbug

Quote from: redfish12 on March 08, 2012, 12:43:25 AM
Thanks Alan! The washer I have will work, but somehow during the repair I lost the washers that go against the anti-revers gear sleeve. Anyone have a good source for these? Not the () washers but the ||.

Also, since I'll be using this reel in saltwater, would it be better to pack my bearings? (I followed the steps to make them all open)

ABU can help you finding spares, if you are living in the US and Sweden you are lucky, if you are abroad, help you god.  

Regarding the washers, Alan know what size of Smoothdrag washers(they have a number) to use, he send me some and they fit's perfectly on both the Revo Inshore and the SX