Tica Lever Drag Reels

Started by nelz, November 26, 2015, 04:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Does anyone know about Tica lever drag reels as far as quality? I know getting parts could be an issue, but aside from that? I'm looking at a Tica Team ST558. They are feature packed and going dirt cheap. Never been a fan of levers, but am willing to play with one if the price is right, but not if it's going to fall apart after a few outings.

Rancanfish

I have a couple of spinners that aren't too bad.  Still working after about 7 years with no maintenance.  ;)

What's cheap Nelz?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Rothmar2

A bit of info here for you Nelz, and a nifty take down by Mr Grinta

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10772.0

I'll add that the ratchet engage/disengage cam has also given me grief on one of the ST 16's mentioned in the above thread. The cam slot got worn and I was unable to turn the ratchet off. Seems the quality of the materials used in certain components is not up to the task (ie. too soft). Definately give these reels a pre-service before putting line on the spool. They are however an "adequate" reel if you wish to try a lever-drag, without outlaying too many $$$.

nelz

Rancanfish: Under $100

Rothmar2: Thanks, I saw that article too. Is the "ratchet engage/disengage cam" the part that clicks as you move the lever? Or is it the line alarm aka, clicker?

Rothmar2

It's the clicker (ratchet) cam I'm talking about. It's similar to the Penn International arrangement. I'm not at home at the moment to get a photo of the worn piece, but can do in about week when I get home next.