Bait feeder type spinner

Started by BMITCH, November 27, 2015, 03:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Ok folks...looking for some input/review/comment on a decent bait feeder/runner type spinning reel. I just recently broke my third Okuma Salina SAF55 at the stem. Sent one back which they replaced for me at No charge...well that replacement is the one that broke. This is the same place all of them seem to have a weak point. Soooo I would rather NOT get another Okuma spinner. Any input would be appreciated going forward on my decision. Thanks guys

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Three se7ens

if you want a metal frame, your options are limited. The now discontinued Fin Nor sport fisher is all metal, and they can be found on eBay pretty regularly for a good price. The FST 60 and 80 are the bait feeder versions.

Fin Nor has a new model out, but from what I understand, the body is metal, and the side plate and rotor are now plastic.

The Penn Spinfisher V comes in a live liner version in a couple of sizes.

The Shimano baitrunners have basically set the standard for these style reels. The frame is plastic, but they are very solid.

SoCalAngler

I don't fish spinners but what I have seen when playing with both the Shimano and Penn reels is the Penn's live liners need less force for the bait to take line. Meaning the Penn's freespool better. This may not be a concern for you but here in So Cal sometimes we have smaller baits and also the more lively the bait when it reaches the zone the better chance you will get picked up. That is of course if you may be flylinning live bait.

I know you didn't ask about this but I thought I'd throw it out there

BMITCH

Thanks guys..my only knock on the shimano baitrunner is the plastic/composite frame. I've never fished one but have only heard good things about them. I've also heard the penn slammer bait feeder was a good choice but these were discontinued, not sure why. As for the fin-nor..I hadn't thought of that one..more research needed. This will be used for both jigging and live bait fishing with a lean towards snagging and dropping livies.

Three se7ens

Quote from: BMITCH on November 27, 2015, 07:09:54 PM
Thanks guys..my only knock on the shimano baitrunner is the plastic/composite frame. I've never fished one but have only heard good things about them. I've also heard the penn slammer bait feeder was a good choice but these were discontinued, not sure why. As for the fin-nor..I hadn't thought of that one..more research needed. This will be used for both jigging and live bait fishing with a lean towards snagging and dropping livies.

Before you knock the plastic frame of the shimano bait runner, put your hands on one.  They are seriously rigid for being plastic.  Nothing like the okumas(I used to fish a couple of coronados).

I have a non-baitfeeder Fin Nor shortfisher, and its a fantastic reel for its size.  Well constructed, plenty strong, and very simple and easy to work on.

Also the old quantum cabo pts was available in a baitfeeder configuration.  Its basically the same structure and design of the Fin Nor, but with upgraded gears and different colors.  

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15870.0 

nelz

I have the old USA made Penn Slammer bait feeder (which Penn calls Live Liner) and it is a robust all-metal tank. It's taken lots of big fish and even been subjected to vertical jigging and is still going strong. I can't imagine it breaking at the stem because it's got a really thick one. The finish is also super tough, black anodizing I think.  My only complaint is it doesn't spool too well, much better with mono, but I have two spools, one of each.

I don't know if the new Chinese versions live up to the original USA one in quality, but maybe you can pick up a used one.

Oh, and yeah, I had a Okuma Coronado bait feeder and the rotor and stem flexed almost as much as the pole, ::) lol, never did break though.

handi2

I have seen too many problems with the Penn SSV LL reels. Too many corrosion issues with their LL function. The old Slammers are good and have the "Slammer" drag.

The Shimano Baitrunners have less problems out of all of them.

I have pictures of 8 of the SSVLL reels like this. I take pictures for the customer to see.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

Wow, my Slammer never looked like that!

Tiddlerbasher

As an alternative to a baitfeeder/live liner reel I use the Okuma Cedros 65/80 with a baitfeeder drag knob. Great line lay and very strong :)

One of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKUMA-BAITFEEDER-CONVERTER-CAP-DISTANCE-SURF-MAX4-DTS-DTX-60-65-80-PRO-CARP-REEL-/191111827526?hash=item2c7f271046:g:ruwAAMXQeKNTLug3

No complicated mechanism to go wrong or service - been using them for a couple of years no problems. They appear to fit all Okuma 65/80 size reels. There is probably an equivalent for other manufacturers.

RTT

Bob

Did you look at Alan Hawk reviews?

I went with a Baitrunner, and it is great.

Ray

BMITCH

Ray,I completely forgot about Alan Hawks reviews..I think I'm gonna go with the shimano baitrunner. Only question now is that shimano has two types...the D series and the OC series. Anyone had any experience with the OC series??

RTT

Just so you know the OC has felt washers, the D has carbon.  Surprisingly to me the Shimano Carbon washers are over $10 a piece, from the shimano dealer, I did not shop around.  I have the D8000 and use it for striped bass. So far no problems.

Good luck
Ray

P.s. The reviews for this reel on Alan Hawk site is in the "list" section.

conchydong

If you are willing to spend the extra $$$, you can move up to the Shimano Thunnus instead of the standard Baitrunner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zqKnw7CuOq8

BMITCH

Thanks for the info guys.. I'm between the thunnus and the bait feeder shimanos. I guess it all depends if I'm good boy between now and Christmas.🙄 I belive these to be superior to the okumas I've been using. Great info and input.

Thnx,
Bob

the_reel_doc

One problem I have come across with the Thunnus and Spheros(not a live liner) is the bails corrode behind the opposite side from the bail arm. They have counter weights under that part that rusts up pretty bad causing the bail to become sticky and sometimes impossible to flip. Also the screw holding it gets stuck sometimes and is a real problem to get out. The baitrunner from Shimano is an easy reel to work on and is a little cheaper. The Slammer reels from Penn came in two series. The ie 5600 is a manual live liner. The newer 560 flips automatically when reeled. You can buy the few parts needed to change the earlier reels though.