BV300 -- Tough Little Shallow Jigger

Started by foakes, November 27, 2015, 03:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

For you Accurate fans--

The Boss Valiant 300 is an impressive little tough twin drag reel for shallow water jigging.

Available now for about $400.

Weighs 9.9 Ounces.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

this should be perfect for Australian market, I know that down there they like to jigging using 20# and 15# braid.

really beautiful reel

The Baja Guy

coastal_dan

I assume we'll start seeing them here in the Northeast, looks like a nice Togging/Sea Bass Reel.  The twin drag may be a little overkill, but then again they did just catch the world record Tog in Ocean City MD @ 28 lbs.  I'm really happy with my Fury 400N and plan on buying the Fury 600.  Accurate is doing it right and listening to their customers, as well as potential customers, well done.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Sulla

That's a sweet little reel! Are there options on the handle knob or do they only come with the knob in the picture?

Sulla

So I'm assuming compared to my 197 6-1 gear ratio the main difference between these 2 reels would be the 10 ounce weight difference?

Sulla

I had a chance to handle one at Baja Fish Gear. It feels like a toy. Super light, I'm curious to see how they hold up after a few big fish.

coastal_dan

I've seen a few pictures on FB of some really nice catches.  If it's anything like my SR6 (strong and light-weight) they should have a long lovely life of fish murdering :)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

MarkT

I've got 300yds of 50# Maxcuatro with some 40# mono on top. I got a 20# YT on a flat fall with it on my first trip.

The spool turns when it's in freespool and you turn the handle. This seems to be an 'attribute' of twin drag reels.  The Fury's don't do that unless you crank the drag way up.  It still casts well.  The handle binds and is hard to turn.  Other Accurates don't do that!  I'm going to send it to Accurate after Alan's 5 day to have them look it over.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 16, 2016, 06:02:46 PM
they should have a long lovely life of fish murdering :)

I prefer to call it educating them
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

That's me, I'm an 'Educator'.  I'm hoping to teach them to be afraid, be very afraid!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

PE Pete

Gidday guys, haven't been on here for a while but am back to educate myself and be around other reel nuts !! I mean enthusiasts 🤖
Anyways to the topic:
I am big fan of Accurate reels and got my BC300 a while back.
For a small reel it has amazing capacity, I first loaded it with PE 4 Gosen and got the full 300m spool on it. Much care during spooling and packed tight as but still pretty impressive capacity I reckon.
Have since gone to PE 3 which obviously fits easy with room for a leader.
I have however had an issue with the handle rotation becoming stiff.
Have sent it back to Kane the NZ Accurate doctor and it seem to be fixed now.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and knows what the issue was ?
I'm thinking side plate bearing but we'll see.
Cheers Pete

Gfish

Same here, with a dpx 2 dawg 600. Thought it was the ARB, but oiling it only helps a tiny bit. Seems to mostly be affected in high gear, or that could just bea an effect of the high vs. low gear torque forces. Side plate bearing...? Opinions anyone?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

High gear is where you begin to feel side load the most. I'm hearing of this issue with the little Valiant frequently. It's a good thing to know what drag setting this issue shows up. 

mahfudzmn

Here in Malaysia the BV300 became very popular with our anglers, a slim and light Accurate? Who wouldn't want that right?

Sadly it has crushed the dream of many when the problems started showing up. As soon as 2 to 3 days out in the water then keeping it until your next trip, the Pinion Gear Bearing will start acting up. The symptom being cranking starts getting stiff without the drag on, with the drag on it goes jammed. You could say a thing or two about maintenance, but few days of usage? You'd agree that's hardly an Accurate.

I'm still investigating whether this is attributed to corrosion or broken pinion bearing. There seems to be evidence supporting both. The mystery is the BV300 is using the same Pinion Bearing as the DPX2 and DX2, not so sure about BX series. Yet we don't get the same problem with the Dawg Pound or Dauntless.

I know the they really skimmed down on the BV series, the drag plates seemed to follow the AOF (Anglers Out Fitters) version of the Boss Extreme, not properly utilizing the size of the drag washer.

The same goes for the BX400N AOF Jigging Special

Drag power wise, it's been rather inconsistent with the BV300, I've measured a max between 4 to 9 kg across the Silver/Red, Silver/Black and All-red versions, not sure if that's got anything to do with the revised drag cam profile. On one of the All-red version, I've changed the carbontex washer and managed to increase from 4 to 7 kg max drag, and this reel has already gone through TWO pinion bearing changes...

Here's a video I've made on the drag change:

Needless to say due to the nature of the problems occurring so early in the life of the reels, really hurt the sales over here...

Recoil Rob

I'm considering the BV-300 to put on a Jigstar 100-300 rod. Has this glitch been addressed on new production reels?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn