welcome, justin!

Started by alantani, November 28, 2015, 02:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

coastal_dan

I've enjoyed following Truth (was Release) for the past couple years.  Sort of Local to our Mid-Atlantic region.  Wes seems to be a stand-up guy!  Really looking forward to putting my hands on the LGN you guys just finished, hopefully you'll put some low gearing in it for us deep dropping folks in the North East  ;D

Redfish12 - Check out the SS it is the star drag but a little wider than the SG I believe, thing is a work of art.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

jcm_101

Hey guys,

Here is a teaser shot of the LG Narrow. It has all the same specs as the LG except it only weighs ~19oz and the capacity is about 500yds of  50# braid.

Justin Mayer
Truth Reels
(804) 453-3095
Justin@truthreels.com

coastal_dan

So sick, you guys think of a price point yet? 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

jcm_101

Quote from: coastal_dan on December 03, 2015, 03:40:57 AM
So sick, you guys think of a price point yet? 

LGN will be $350

I just used it for the first time this weekend! I caught a 35" striper and this 44" slob.

Justin Mayer
Truth Reels
(804) 453-3095
Justin@truthreels.com

Bryan Young

Awesome Justin.  Hey, when are you or your team going to do a write up of your entire reel line?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jcm_101

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 15, 2015, 02:52:38 PM
Awesome Justin.  Hey, when are you or your team going to do a write up of your entire reel line?

We are working up a plan to post up each of the reel models along with assembly and machining procedure pictures. We have a lot going on, but we want to do it right! 
Justin Mayer
Truth Reels
(804) 453-3095
Justin@truthreels.com

Bryan Young

Quote from: jcm_101 on December 15, 2015, 10:40:33 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on December 15, 2015, 02:52:38 PM

We are working up a plan to post up each of the reel models along with assembly and machining procedure pictures. We have a lot going on, but we want to do it right! 
Thanks.  I saw Wes' photos and am drooling.  :P
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bnz

Hey Justin, do your LG and LGN reels cast as well as the SGs do?

jcm_101

Quote from: bnz on December 22, 2015, 10:20:54 AM
Hey Justin, do your LG and LGN reels cast as well as the SGs do?

That's a good question! I haven't casted the LGN yet, but it should cast great because it has the same ceramic bearings as the rest and the spool is nearly as light as the SG spool. The LG has slow start up inertia because the weight of the spool, but it still doesn't do bad!
Justin Mayer
Truth Reels
(804) 453-3095
Justin@truthreels.com

BrianBM

As far as casting goes, I believe the official recommendation is that the Surf goes nicest with 3 - 16 oz. playloads. Is that still the case? Since most anglers will use the Surf to place sinkers and bait at long range, this makes perfect sense.  However, a gent on another board who uses his Surf at the Cape Cod Canal reports that he has no problem casting  large plugs, down to a Super Strike needlefish of 1.5 oz. 

I imagine that we'd all reach for a spinning reel for casting a Bomber, or any light/low density payload, but it's nice to know that the reel's perfectly competent as a heavy plug caster too.  And the company's conservative recommendation for casting weights speaks well of their integrity, too.

jcm_101

Quote from: BrianBM on February 04, 2016, 01:30:30 AM
As far as casting goes, I believe the official recommendation is that the Surf goes nicest with 3 - 16 oz. playloads. Is that still the case? Since most anglers will use the Surf to place sinkers and bait at long range, this makes perfect sense.  However, a gent on another board who uses his Surf at the Cape Cod Canal reports that he has no problem casting  large plugs, down to a Super Strike needlefish of 1.5 oz. 

I imagine that we'd all reach for a spinning reel for casting a Bomber, or any light/low density payload, but it's nice to know that the reel's perfectly competent as a heavy plug caster too.  And the company's conservative recommendation for casting weights speaks well of their integrity, too.

The SM reel does very well with a variety of sizes now because we recently changed the intensity of the magnet. It still has a bit of resistance with the magnet backed all the way off, but the average caster won't be able cast it at that point anyway. I've only had a few requests of a smaller magnet since we changed the magnet to the larger one and those are requested from experienced/picky/tuner/tournament type surf casting guys.

I have had several guys say they think that it is a great plugging reel. That was actually a bit of a surprise to us actually because we didn't expect it to cast so well with smaller baits giving the size and weight of the spool/reel. Id fumble all over the place trying to work a plug with that reel though. I don't know how anyone can wind line on level while working a plug...I don't have that kind of talent.
Justin Mayer
Truth Reels
(804) 453-3095
Justin@truthreels.com

Tiddlerbasher

volante

Hi Justin,
I,m just waiting for my two SM reels to arrive from the factory ( i,m in the UK).
Could you let me know the size of the original smaller magnet that was installed in the SM model reel.
Hopefully you can assist on this matter.
Rgds,
Dave Bolam...........

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono