No.155, few questions..

Started by Sharkin904, November 28, 2015, 05:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

Well while at my Grandfather's for thanksgiving, he mentioned how he wished he could get this reel working again, I jumped at the chance to put my new found hobby to work lol..He bought it new, sent it out to be repaired, they didn't do it correctly, then he tossed it in a bucket. I believe all it needs is a gear sleeve and a handle, but I'm going to go through it all. Basically, the clicker is rusted, and makes it pop out. How do you get this thing off??

foakes

Just drill out or grind off the rivet button inside, Nick --

Throw it away.

Get a new rivet and clicker tongue assembly.

The best is a clicker button with a new tongue and an "E"clip that holds it in place instead.

If you get stuck on parts -- let us know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Sharkin904

Thanks Fred! So this: https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/36-155CH.aspx & https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/35-155.aspx? What do they mean by "peen" them on there? This is my first clicker lol

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Alto Mare

It's nice that your bringing that reel back. Peening the new tongue in place is easier said than done, I've done a few but I've also messed up a few.
Fred mentioned the replaceable tongue and post, I'm not sure that would fit though, but since it is Fred we're talking about, it has to.
On another note, when I run into a similar situation, I simply clean it really good, add some grease and be done with it. I usually don't replace tongue that still have a nice tip.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Sharkin904: You can drill a small hole into the end the penning end about 1/8" deep and take a center punch, that will expand it enough to make it hold. 

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

If this is what You need, Nick -- just PM me your name and mailing address -- I will get it out to you at N/C.

Do what Joe (Reel224) and Sal say --

Make sure the button is supported against a wood piece -- drill a slight hole -- or just carefully peen it into a mushroom head with a small hammer.  These buttons are brass -- so they will not take much to get the holding shape.  If you miss -- you may chip or crack the sideplate.  If that happens, I could send you one of those with the clicker already attached.

Lets get this reel back in the water for your Grand Dad.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Sharkin904

I'm super excited to have the chance to fix up one of his reels..only regret is I didn't take more before pics, this thing is cleaning up nicely. I'll deff post some pics of it going together/completed. Goal is by Christmas lol, should't be a problem

Shark Hunter

The e clip tongue is the way to go. I had a loose tongue on a 155 once. I tried to peen it back down and cracked the plate right in half. I don't think they make an e clip variation this small.
Just take your time and make sure to support the plate and don't use a big hammer.
Life is Good!

Jerseymic

Take Darons advice quote: Just take your time and make sure to support the plate and don't use a big hammer.

The first time I peened a clicker was with a lot of trepidation, but I took this advice, and now 4 down the line and no cracked plates, I am more than happy, just be gentle, tap like a woodpecker on valium!!

Alto Mare

I just checked and tongue with the C- clip will not work on your plate. There are many ways you could go with this, you could purchase the complete left-side plate on line for a couple of dollars, it doesn't have to be exact as long as it is of the same size, I have  some 155 that are miss matched.
The other option would be for you to peen one in place, you might get lucky, it is doable.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

I will check tomorrow and see if I have one of the side plates
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Maxed Out

Surfmaster clicker sideplate will also fit and makes for a sturdier and much nicer looking reel with inner and outer rings on the tail plate
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Yes, those will also work, but no outer rings on the surfmaster. Surfmasters have the best looking tail plate.
combinations are endless on those, I made all of mine narrow, by replacing the spool and frame.

Sharkin904

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. My grandpa loved the reel, his reaction made every second and dime worth it. Here's a few pics of the result.

Reel 224

You did a great job! You Granddad will Cherish that forever.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."