New species. narrow barred spanish mack.

Started by Lowprofile, November 30, 2015, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowprofile

Got this guy sunday. Was about 200yrds outside the port and clearing lines. Was bringing in the long corner and and watching it kick up spray as I reeled it against the prop wash when BAM! White water and a nice solid thump on the rod. It wasn't able to fight much after that, just skull dragged it in thinking "wtf is this? Small GT?"

Hard to judge size by the pics but it's 90 cm. or about 35.5". They can grow to 240cm. Over 6'6". Looks similar to a king but has more body to it.

Rancanfish

Congrats.  Which port are you referring to?

And my only question when it comes to fishing.  Good to eat?

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 30, 2015, 03:26:43 PM
Congrats.  Which port are you referring to?

And my only question when it comes to fishing.  Good to eat?

Gushikawa

Supposedly it is, saves it for shark bait along with some yellowfin and a big skipjack.

Aiala

I caught one of these (Scomberomorus commerson) back in the early 80's in the Gulf of Aqaba. Back then the IGFA (I was actually their rep in Israel) had this fish listed separately as a "Tangigue". Seems to me that we cut it into steaks and grilled it; absolutely fabulous eating! White, firm, not unlike wahoo.  :)

Of course, I'm sure it'll work great as shark bait, too.  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mackereljoe

The best tasting sashimi I've ever eaten is that type of fish, hooked while casting crocodile spoons from the fantail of an anchored Navy ship.  It was so good that a lot of Sailor talked about it for days and there's a Sailor from Oklahoma, confide in me that he will forever regret not eating a slice. 

whalebreath

I've caught & ate many 'Walu' as the Fijians call them-delicious and you never know what they'll hit.

nelz

I would never have even suspected that it wasn't a King. Even the dorsal and lateral line are the same. Looks like a fat Kingfish.

Shark Hunter

Alright Chris,
You have time to fish, but not rebuild your 12/0?
That looks like a cool fish.
Did you send the reel yet?
I've been waiting for it.
Life is Good!

conchydong

I have eaten the Narrow Barred Spanish Mackerel in the Philippines and although they look very much like our Atlantic Kingfish, on the table they are way, way, better. As Aiala mentioned, the meat is white and more resembles Wahoo than the grayish color of our Kingfish.

Jeri

Hi All,

Basically it is a species confined to the Indian and Pacific Oceans, but the same family as the King Mackerel in the Atlantic. There are a lot of corresponding but slightly different species in the two distinct bodies of water - best example is the Blue Marlin, Atlantic or Pacific.

Caught the Narrow Barred down in Mozambique, they get quite big down there, when they get over 1.5m long, they are affectionately called 'Crocodiles'. Very tatsy, just cooked, or excellent as cold cuts the next day. Superb eating, to good to waste on sharks!!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Lowprofile

Quote from: Jeri on December 01, 2015, 04:05:58 PM
Superb eating, to good to waste on sharks!!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

well I hope it wont be a waste.  :D  I have a couple wahoo heads, Yellowfin tuna and skipjack in there too. just waiting for the weather to clear up and we'll see if its all for not.