Who uses shrimp flies ?

Started by Big Tim, December 02, 2015, 04:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

I got the bug to tie some old school shrimp flies that we used back in the day for rock cod fishing and would like to share a few with some friends that will actually use them...PM me address and I will send you a couple...Not that special, but a fun project to me...First 6 gets a set on my dime...Merry Christmas  ;D I left all of them long so you can trim them down if you like.

Bill B

Too generous BT.....if I was closer to the ocean I'd take that offer....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Steve-O

First time user this past fall in Alaska. Surprised at the size of the Pacific Cod I caught, 11 pound fish in the 28 to 30" range, on the shrimp flies the Boss recommends for rock-fishing in HMB...you know the two dropper loop red and yellow ones Alan uses. That's what i took with me.

So if i were closer to the ocean I would get in line. As is, it would be summer 2016 before I got them wet.

Kind of like what I did sending the slow fall jigs out to several anglers on here to test the jig and report back.

Good onya, for paying it forward!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Really nice!

I have gone to bass size twister tail grubs most of the time.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

I was lucky enough to receive a couple of these and can't wait to use them. I've never fished a shrimp fly before but I'm betting these will produce nicely. Thanks BT!!!!

Bryan Young

Good work Big Tim.  I'm sure they will do well... and out fish the rock cod high sticker (AKA Alan Tani). ;) ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Tim that is very generous of you.  I don't use them enough to warrant a whole set.  Just send me 2 of the ones you think will do well off our coast.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

I like shrimp flies on those occasions that I rock fish.  I use Kenji Flies. Kenji died last year in his sleep on a Senor Tuna trip the day after his 81th birthday.  I still have some and will hopefully never lose them all.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Big Tim

For the few that ask for them got some, i took several on my weekend in Morro Bay and handed them out as Christmas presents...All did well on rockfish and the Lings. I used the same shrimp fly rig for 2 days and the flies looked brand new. I gave it to a guy that was fishing next to me on Saturday & Sunday after I helped him fill his bag with Reds and Lings. He also used my Spinning outfit: Tsunami Airwave elite 7' 20-40 and Penn Conflict 6000 filled with 50# braid. John got all the particulars over a few beers and we turned him over to the Penn side on the tablet and amazon...He's getting a new rod n reel when he gets back to Vegas.

BT

Ron Jones

Those look like the the for bonefish in the deep. If you have any left tell me what you want, I'd love to hook into something on a fly made by the phat ba$tard!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BD

BT, We use similar patterns in paler pastel colors for bones on the flats, size is of course an issue but patterns would work when presented properly to the phat lil bastards. I'm just getting into flats fishing down there and look forward to learning more about the flies that work. Some of the crab patterns used for permit are mind bogglingly accurate.

BD 

Rothmar2

Thought I might throw up a couple of the shrimp and crab flies I make for use on the local bream here (similar to your sheepheads, but probably don't get quite as large).

1st one, standard run of the mill shrimp fly, on size 4 hook

Mud/sand "bass yabbie" or nipper also on size 4

Early crab, the claws float up and swing about. Many missed bites due to hook placement

Current crab, hooks now in claws, attached to main body with small split rings, but still wave around in a defensive manner

The shrimp patterns get fished on fly-rods, the crabs on an ultra-light spinner outfit.

swill88

GOOD LOOKIN FISHY STUFF!

What's crab body made of?

Steve

mike1010

I just saw this thread.  Tim, is the offer still open?  I would love to try a couple of those for fluke teasers next summer.  Thanks.

Mike