antique penn 140 squidder in original box new old stock

Started by fishgrain, December 02, 2015, 10:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

i am always interested in how one reel compares to another - and this sounds like an interesting case to investigate.

squidder vs beachmaster

The Squidder is the perfect reel to use for a comparison. When the Squidder was introduced in 1939, Penn priced it at $25.00 and built it exactly as you see it today, except for the stand. Twenty five dollars was an expensive reel during the Depression. In order to sell more reels and also offer the reel to more working class people, in 1940, Penn introduced the Surfmaster series of reel. The Surfmaster 200 was half the price of the Squidder and soon was nicknamed, "The Poorman's Squidder". The Penn 155 started it life on 1940, it was name the Light Tackle Casting reel and had a price tag of $7.00, making it a very hot seller. It was not named the Beachmaster until many years later. All these reels were dimensionally the same and differed in features. The Squidder 140 spool ran in ball bearings and had anti-backlash system designed into the reel, separating it from the Surfmaster 200 and Light Tackle Casting (Beachmaster) Reel 155. Over the production life of these reels, the hottest seller was the Beachmaster. As is always the way, low price combined with simple able do the job design and quality will always win the masses.

mike1010

Mike, what is the anti-backlash system in the squidder?  I've got a couple of newer examples of the 146, and all they have is the spool tension business.  Thanks.

Mike

Rancanfish

Quote from: mike1010 on December 08, 2015, 02:32:40 PM
Mike, what is the anti-backlash system in the squidder?  I've got a couple of newer examples of the 146, and all they have is the spool tension business.  Thanks.

Mike

[/quote

Yes, that was the first 'huh'? that came to me too.   ???
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Penn Chronology

OK, the first Squidder had the Bakelite spool. On the tail plate side of the spool were fins. In the tail plate were compartments. As the spool is spinning during a cast, pressure is built up in those compartments.

BETTER IDEA!!

Here is directly from the Penn 1939 catalog:

And a neat photo from Harlan Majors 1930's book on saltwater tackle:

Notice the 1939 Squidder has a open stand. The Squidder 140 was only made with a non-rod clamp strand in 1939. That sort of makes the 1939 model the best one to make a shelfie out of. They are actually pretty hard too find in this configuration.

mike1010

fishgrain

sweeet action on that catalog - thx. love to see those pics of the 39' - open stand,

Rancanfish

Yes, thank you for the squidder info.  Having never seen the oldies I had no idea.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Penn Chronology

The Great Maudu

Great info Mike. Thank you for that. Btw ... that air brake, anti backlash technology can be easily overridden by trying to throw too much weight too far  ;D

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

Some fisherman would find the braking effect too much and would snap off the spool fins to eliminate it. This option does not exist with the chrome or aluminum spool.

Fisherman Paul

Bit late on reply, that reel is beautiful and some find for sure.

Very pretty box, enjoy.

mike1010

Maybe this is halfway hijacking this thread, but I just acquired a NOS USA-made 140, and am trying to date it.  It's got black side plates and the flat knob.  The box has a bar code and a "recyclable" symbol on it, so this reel is not very old.  When did US production of the 140 stop?  Thanks.

Mike

Whit

Actually, one step down from the Squidder was the Surfmaster, which had the same frame and quick-take apart right sideplate.  Next down was the Beachmaster.  There was a lot of interchangeability of parts amongst all three.   I too started on a Beachmaster (using 27 lb braided line and a 4 oz sinker, practicing on a nearby football field)....  Nice reels all.

thorhammer

Mine I think 2004 was last year of the squidder.  With flat knob I'd say yours is of the final iteration.  Plastic or metal clamp?