Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Ok, so here's what I came up with.
The Tiburon spool is just different enough that it causes problems.
I Used a Newell 99, a Penn 99, and a Tib 99. The Newell and Penn went together fine. The tib just barely centers and spins in the bearings.
Here's the issue:
This is a typical Penn or Newell spool shaft, clicker side. You see the transition from the 1/8" diameter to the peened surface of the clicker ratchet? Well that measures about .035"

Now here is the Tiburon:
They went with a straight shaft all the way to the ratchet and then welded it. That extra length won't allow Mikes spool to center and ride on the bearings correctly. Installing the removable stud is not going to solve the issue. Give me a couple of days to come up with a solution.

Thank you everyone for keeping things civil and positive.

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mikeysm

All of this stimulates the mind. It's a challenge it wouldn't be fum if it just pop together. I am using a small spring over the shaft to hold the bearing in place.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Tom, as you can see from the photos below, at least some of the Tiburon spool shafts have tapered ends similar to the Penn shaft that you have shown in the photo.  I bought three red 501 spools to sell as a set with the red 501 Tiburon frames for your side plates, and they all have the taper on both the clicker side and the handle side.  I do not recall ever seeing a straight, untapered shaft before.  Do you think that it might be one that slipped through the cracks, or standard production?

Randy

twotone

Tib Stock Tib Tib I been thinking about that too.
twotone

Alto Mare

All of my Penn spools have a tapered tip on the shaft, but most of my Newell don't.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Isn't the issue Tom is working on a 'shoulder' down the shaft to meet the bearing?

mikeysm

Yes that's the issue I am having. The taper is just to guide the bearing onto the spool shaft. At least the Tiburon spool fit Alan C 5.1 pinion gear. One lees problem to solve. What size and length are the Allen head screws that hold the break plate in place on the cover.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Black Pearl

Hi guys,

I would like to know if any of the members use all my stainless steel parts for the JigMaster with this Tom's side plate set. If so, do my parts fit and work with Tom's side plate?

The reason I ask because a member told me that none of my internal SS parts for Jigmaster works . Therefore, I want to get to the bottom of it. That member is sending back all parts back to me for full refund.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
--Alan C.

mikeysm

Alan exactly what doesn't fit. Your Bridge and gears fit. I tested that yesterday. Also the pinion gear fits the Tiburon 99 spool. I need to make stainless bridge screws before I can test the gear engagement though. Alan what is the size and length of the Bridge screws. I havent owned a Jigmaster for 36 years so no parts to measure.

Black Pearl

Quote from: mikeysm on December 29, 2015, 07:02:13 PM
Alan exactly what doesn't fit. Your Bridge and gears fit. I tested that yesterday. Also the pinion gear fits the Tiburon 99 spool. I need to make stainless bridge screws before I can test the gear engagement though. Alan what is the size and length of the Bridge screws. I havent owned a Jigmaster for 36 years so no parts to measure.

I heard about the bridge screws from swill88. He had to order a longer set from McMaster. You might drop him a PM and check with him about it.

Well, he said none of the parts fits or has problem (bridge, 5:1 gear set, sleeve). He stated that the pinion gear could not fit in a stock 501 chrome spool shaft. I don't know. I will have to check the return parts, but it is all good. I don't want any unhappy member.

swill88

Quote from: mikeysm on December 29, 2015, 07:02:13 PM

Mike, bridge screws are 6-40... 

here's how I made mine...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16099.msg169479#msg169479

PacRat

Alan,
I just dry fit your stainless double-dog bridge into Tom's sideplate and I have a very small bind on one of the dogs. I believe it's the one at 10:00. This is the straighter of the two which is very similar to the stock shape and location. It's nothing that worries me though. A stone and/or a dremel will fix it in just a minute or two. I'm heading out the door but would be happy to photograph this when I fit it. I think it's the little dog-leg where the spring contacts which may be too tight...no big deal though.
-Mike

swill88

Quote from: PacRat on December 29, 2015, 07:25:10 PM
Alan,
I just dry fit your stainless double-dog bridge into Tom's sideplate and I have a very small bind on one of the dogs. I believe it's the one at 10:00. This is the straighter of the two which is very similar to the stock shape and location. It's nothing that worries me though. A stone and/or a dremel will fix it in just a minute or two. I'm heading out the door but would be happy to photograph this when I fit it. I think it's the little dog-leg where the spring contacts which may be too tight...no big deal though.
-Mike

I'm finding the same thing... haven't finished tuning though... later today or tomorrow.

The dog was rising up causing a problem but Alan told me how how to bend the spring's loop from 90deg down to 100deg to fix that. I think the under gear washer(s) correct thickness is critical.

Also, the second dog spring post is a little tall amd may interfere with the under gear washer or gear. A file touch up.

Never had so much fun!

steve

Frank

Joe, I have to say I love your nails.  ;D
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.