Started by Shark Hunter, December 14, 2015, 05:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Picked up this 209 for a present. It sounded like a thrashing machine.
Everything looks good. Its just dry.

Drags look good. SS sleeve and 12.5mm BP spacer, Delrin under  gear.

Hit the chrome with a quick polish. All I need is a steel gear. Found this old crusty one in a coffee can.
It always pays to hold onto old parts.

Removed most of the rust from the gear. Time to wrap it up.

Bumped up the handle to a 24-66 and a Eva Grip. It still felt a little stiff, The levelwind adjustment took care of it. All done.

Life is Good!

reelrepair123

a thing of beauty  daron   another great reel refurbishing by the master, great job the reel looks in nice shape.  harryk

thorhammer

Well done. Very undersung workhorses easily found for less than $30. IMHO they are the old F100 Ranger of a reel: lot of metal, no frills, comes to work everyday not afraid to get a scratch.

STRIPER LOU

Nice work Mr. D. Nothing beats a classic Penn!!!!!!
............................Lou

Maxed Out

Love the 209's. Lots of parts on the little buggers that like to be lubed, but when you find a good one it will last a lifetime. I have 2 that were my dads and those were 2 he had tagged out of over 2,000 209's he had when he passed away in mid 90's. 20 years later still sitting in my cupboard and they are still the smoothest reels I've ever felt.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

2,000 reels? Did you add an extra zero? Sheesh, that's a lot of reels....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on December 15, 2015, 05:58:45 PM
2,000 reels? Did you add an extra zero? Sheesh, that's a lot of reels....

He retired in late 80's before the days of the WWW when garage sales were how folks sold their unwanted things, and he loved those sales and would buy up anything fishing related. He had over 5,000 reels and 1500 rods when he passed away. Might have something to do with my passion for penns  :D :D

sdlehr

Trying to picture what 5,000 reels looks like. It's like trying to understand the magnitude of the national debt.....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on December 16, 2015, 05:43:55 PM
Trying to picture what 5,000 reels looks like. It's like trying to understand the magnitude of the national debt.....

7 kids in a 5 bedroom house, and once all the kids were gone there was plenty of room for everything. My only regret is I didn't take pictures of his stuff, and he kept it well organized, which I can't do with just 100 reels. ::)

handi2

Daron if you need any NOS parts for that reel I can throw them in the box I'm mailing you soon.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

I'll take a plastic gear for the worm drive if you have it.
Life is Good!

handi2

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 16, 2015, 08:38:39 PM
I'll take a plastic gear for the worm drive if you have it.

Got it!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

You Da Man! Keith ;D
Life is Good!

FatTuna

The 209 is a classic, functional, little reel. I have a few stashed on board permanently. I should probably upgrade the sleeves on mine one of these days.

I just learned Alan's rubberband trick the other day. I was doing it the difficult way.

I like that knob upgrade. What kind of knob is that Daron? I have yet to do a knob upgrade yet but I have the perfect reel picked out.

Shark Hunter

Keith gave me that a long time ago. I found it in my tackle bag.
I just drilled out the original grip and put it on.
Life is Good!