Okuma Spinner Drag Sizes

Started by Bryan Young, January 29, 2011, 03:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Bryan, You are welcome,

Tiddler, What brand of wadcutter punches you have?

I spent sometime find matches to penn parts HT-100s and Smoothdrags CFs to my okumas, and smooth has the best matches but are bit pricey. I have a lot of reels.

I did few more okumas and OD = 20 mm (ish) seems to the standard and ID = 4 mm ish

I am going with a 6-60 for my okumas (with 20 mm OD), I will do a before and after drag and report back as to results with 6 mm gap in the middle of drag washer.

few more:

Okuma Avenger Abf 50 - OD = 24.5    ID = 4.5
Okuma Ceymar 10       - OD = 20        ID = 4.2
Okuma Inspira 20        - OD = 19.5     ID = 4
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Gobi - I bought a set of these:
https://www.maunindustries.com/wad-punch-kit/

But there are some sets that cut inner and outer dimensions at the same time - but extra $ :(

Gobi King

Thanks a bunch, I saw a cheapo set at harborfright, not sure if it is metric or sae but anything to get a somewhat close fit will be fine for me.

You guys are correct, I went though some of my baitcasters and measured the drag washer sized. To experiment I replaced a baitcaster and a spinning reel with a small sized  cf drag washer greased with Cal's

Very impressed with the results. For my fishing needs on fresh water, I rarely tighten the drag down all the way, I mean in MI the cow perches are not anywhere close to their Egyptian cousins on the Nile River where the  perches are big (70 lber) ;-).

On an okuma 20 sized reel, I replaced the factory felt drag washers with much smaller cf drag I had on hand and I think I have more drag with smaller grease cf washers :-)
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Properly sized drag washers (with full area contact with the metal washers) will dissipate heat better than undersize washers - and more drag :)

philaroman

oh boy, time to play the Devil's Advocate:

I'm sorry, I just don't understand why people are doing this -- getting all exuberant over an expensive technological innovation, that they will NEVER REAP THE BENEFITS, THEREOF ???

Of course, CF has vastly superior longevity/durability & higher MAX -- HOW DOES THAT HELP SMALL SPINNERS used w/ light line, that hardly ever approach a mid-range drag setting & never-ever see the MAX ???

How much of an issue is durability or heat dissipation w/ <30 sec. runs, under <3 lbs. of drag ???

if anything, felt's smoother, faster start-up at lowest drag settings, is the desired attribute for F/W L/UL

w/ smaller, older Okuma's, especially, do the CF upgrade on your 30's & 40's, where it counts
& get a FREE lifetime supply of Japanese felt for your 20's, where it's optimal

Gobi King

I agree, being an accountant and an engineer I am always questioning ROI before I undertake any project, ROI in terms $$$ and my time.

I love small reels, size 10s, I spool them with 6 lb braid, I use them to jig for any species in heavy current etc, I love light stuff, my right hand hurts less end of the day.

I don't fish everyday, even with my low frequency fishing the felt drags on some of my small reels failed. Hence the cf upgrade.

In MI when I out say in Muskegon Lake, I am casting for bass, I might hook a pike or even a salmon/asian carp.

FYI: I put in 3 ht-100 6-60 washer in one reel and it cost me less then $3 to switch the reel from felt to cf washer.

Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

On every reel I've tried greased cf is smoother, with less start up inertia, than oiled felt. I even use it on my fly reels where smoothness is everything with light tippets. In the past I've destroyed felt washers in a season - I have yet to replace any cf washers.

Some time ago, it may have been Bryan, mentioned that only the Cedros 80 came with cf washers. Both the 65 and 80 are supplied with oiled felt. The more upmarket RawII spinners come with cf. I have and use both of them. The washers are interchangeable between the similar size models e.g. RawII 80 cf washers will fit the Cedros 80 etc. The Raw series have aluminium rotors the Cedros are graphite.

Gobi King

I "serviced" nearly half a dozen Okuma reels and I found that 2 models had felt drag washer with some type of clear "grease", not sure what it is but I thought I would share, here is a pic of one.
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Okuma felt washers come from the factory with some type of oil on them not usually grease. It works but the oil does need 'topping up' fairly frequently compared to greased cf.

philaroman

I'm guessing that's Chinese felt, from later and/or cheaper models
older, premium Okuma's boasted "Japanese oiled felt"
it looks much more substantial/dense & holds the thick oil better/longer

Tiddlerbasher

Which begs the question is it Japanese felt that's been oiled - or felt (from where ever) with Japanese oil - and does it really matter? Use greased cf instead - it's a better product imho.

philaroman

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 25, 2018, 08:56:24 PM
Which begs the question is it Japanese felt that's been oiled - or felt (from where ever) with Japanese oil - and does it really matter? Use greased cf instead - it's a better product imho.

I will most certainly do that...  for my bigger spools that will derive max. benefit

what am I going to do w/ a pile of perfectly good high-quality felt which was a significant fraction of the cost/value of those spools?  no, wait, don't tell me, I already know -- I'll keep my little 20-size spools going, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE :)  ...heck, I'll be able to replace the stuff just 'cause it's a little dirty -- not even worn or crushed

Tiddlerbasher

;D

To me the smoothness of a drag is everything. Most spinners, even the smallest ones, already produce more drag than one can use (RawII 30 size 25lb drag :o). On my mid/large sized spinners I've even had some custom .5mm stainless washers cut so I could fit a 5 stack instead of 3 stack. I didn't do it to increase the drag it just produces a smoother drag for an equivalent setting. My 10 and 20 sized spinners would probably benefit from a 5 stack as well, but I haven't measured them yet so I don't know how practical it would be.

Gobi King

I have learned a lot of drags here in the last few months.

My previous strategy for reels was, buy a reel and when the drag gets jerky, chuck it and buy a new one.

I fish for species with very soft mouths and any jerkiness in the drag results in ripped lips.

Max drag is unimportant for me. CF drag concept is new to me, I did not realize most of my trolling gear already had CF drags in them.

I have a few cheapo single drag washer size 10 reels made by south bend, when I am back home next week I will do a side by side analysis  ;D
Fichigan

handi2

Many of the inshore saltwater charter captains use the Shimano Ci4 reel because of its better corrosion protection. They come with felt drag washers.

I had one captain come to me by boat after his clients had landed a few Jack Cravale. The felt drag were gone.

He grabbed 6 sets from me and went back fishing. The felt drags in the Shimano reels turns to mush and disappears.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL