Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead69

I'm in for 2 silver, 2 red and 2 black for old style frames. I love your Jigmaster sideplates, they are great. Keep up the good work.

PacRat

Tom,
Here's some photos. I bought the reel used so I have no idea who made this. It looks like a groove has been cut around the edge of the top hat for the rubber gasket. This one is old and the rubber isn't very flexible anymore so I haven't used it. I've read this thread and agree that there is some merit in heat dissipation through the top hat. I also concur with Sal in that the concealed drags better support the gear stem and is better at keeping water out. With your skills it should be possible to get the best of both by creating a thicker top hat out of aluminum which would conduct heat very well. This thicker top hat could be O-ringed to keep water out by cutting a groove similar to this gasketed top hat. This O-ring would seal between the top hat and sideplate. One drawback would be if an O-ring failed and then you have aluminum on aluminum friction which would likely cause galling.

Tightlines667

This is good stuff!

I like that gasket, but I bet it's possible to build an even better mousetrap here.  Shimano, Diawa, and others have some pretty ingenious double gasket seal designso that would allow for lateral support, sealing, and still allow up/down travel with the star adjustment. 

Just a thought.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

PacRat

Tom,
I decided to pull the rubber gasket just to see how deep the cut is. The gasket cut isn't straight in, it's angled, this keeps the gasket shaped like a shallow cone. You can see the angle of the cut in the shadow that it casts in the last photo. I would love to know more about these because someone really put a lot of thought and effort into these. I always assumed they were just knocking these out in their garage.

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

broadway

Now that's cool... thanks for bringing this to our attention.  With the engineering minds we have here, they'll come up with something functional for us.
Thanks
Dom

PacRat

The reel that this top hat came on had dry carbontex and the stack was completely rusted to the main gear. Once I replaced the drag stack with greased washers the stack height was actually less than the original and the rubber gasket was dragging on the sideplate too much so I didn't use it but it seemed like a good idea.

STRIPER LOU

Tom, please disregard my first request.
I would like 1 red and 1 green for the old style TIB frame.
I would also like 1 Ice blue for a new style TIB frame. All with Knurled bearing cups. I would also like to purchase 2 additional Standard bearing caps.

Thanks for you efforts and making these available to us. The jigmaster plates are awesome!!!
All the best,  ..  Lou

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Tom said that it would be OK for me to briefly hijack this thread to let everyone know that I have some frames and spools in stock to use with his 4/0 side plates and you can see them if you go to my Vintage Offshore Tackle forum on this website.  You will also find a post about how to order new Tiburon frames that I will pick up when I go to the Tiburon factory next week.

Thank you Tom!

Randy

Shark Hunter

I would really like to see the Tiburon Manufacturing Facility.
Take some pictures if you are allowed Randy. That would be Awesome!
Life is Good!

mongoose1997

Need orders for purple I would take 2 sets

Yogi_fish808

Aloha Tom,
Please put me down for 2 sets of Green Tiburon-style plates, if possible with the knob bearing cups on both. Also interested in purple ones too if anyone else can help make it worth doing a run of them.

Yogi_fish808

It sure seems like there's a little bit of demand for a run of purple. Crossing fingers that it can happen! Accurate or Tib style is fine by me, as long as i can get 2 sets.

Germ

I'll take 2 sets in green, new Tiburon style.

swill88

Tom... How does it look?

Am I the only impatient guy who is losing control in anticipation?

Steve