Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Does an exterior accessible drag require any more maintenance from water intrusion?

Steve

broadway

No matter which plate it is, I just use a good amount of grease above the last eared washer that sits in the main gear ... Use salt away after every trip, I swear by it.  I have never had any corrosion on any of my reels except on my wire line reels and it's only the spools from the dacron backing that stays wet and the electrolysis effect from the wire on metal spool. You should see what an aluminum spool looks like after one year if using uncoated wire on it. :o  My chromed over spools last about 5-7 before I retire them due to corrosion and the gear lash from the clicker being on for the strike while trolling.
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: swill88 on January 05, 2016, 09:39:30 PM
Does an exterior accessible drag require any more maintenance from water intrusion?

Steve
Yup! I also don't like the way the gear sleeve moves around under stress.
There are many that like the easy access drag system, I could do without it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2016, 11:30:26 PM
Quote from: swill88 on January 05, 2016, 09:39:30 PM

Steve
Yup! I also don't like the way the gear sleeve moves around under stress.
There are many that like the easy access drag system, I could do without it.

Sal

If the collar was matched to the hole in the side plate, it shouldnt move around much.  Just like the Black Pearl spacers on the jigmaster.  But water intrusion could certainly be an issue.  But between Tom's tolerances and a little grease, I dont see it being a big deal.

I like the idea of the external access drags. 

handi2

Quote from: Aiala on January 05, 2016, 04:04:13 PM
Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on January 05, 2016, 02:17:20 PM
What do you all think about going back to a side plate that has the drags accessible from the outside like the older Senators had?

I think it's a superb idea! All my Senators --and even my old Long Beach 68-- are outside-drag-accessible. (The felt washers under the collar are hard to come by, though.)  :P

~A~

I still have them if you need them...

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Personally, I'm a fan of small openings on the side plate, especially by the handle, but Tom is not making these for me.
The easy access drag system only allows you to install drag washers, the gear is not removable.
The reel should always be opened when servicing, I'm afraid this will keep them from doing so.
if assembly is an issue, the custom double dog bridge from Pro Challenger  is due in soon, those drop in easily.
As I told Tom in a message, its up to him and you guys.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

I have to go along with Sal on this one although whatever you ladies and gentlemen decide, I know Tom will make them great. My thoughts are anyone on this forum who is going to look at the drags will more than likely open the whole reel up to check and see that everything's  OK. Someone mentioned a place for salt intrusion, and lastly if you look at the clean lines of the side plates on the last jigmaster plates that Tom made this might take away from that.
Don't mean to upset anyone and not saying its a bad idea, it isn't ..... Its just and opinion.
....................Lou

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 05, 2016, 11:59:39 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of small openings on the side plate, especially by the handle, but Tom is not making these for me.
The easy access drag system only allows you to install drag washers, the gear is not removable.
The reel should always be opened when servicing, I'm afraid this will keep them from doing so.
if assembly is an issue, the custom double dog bridge from Pro Challenger  is due in soon, those drop in easily.
As I told Tom in a message, its up to him and you guys.

Sal

Those are very good points, but heres another one to consider.  These reels do not do well dissipating heat from the drag during a long, hard run, especially when we start upgrading everything to stainless.  A top hat like the easy access drag has would allow for a nice "radiator" for some of that heat. 

broadway

Sal, I'm pretty sure our members won't stop maintaining their reels properly, but it is nice to see where your washers are at, condition-wise in short order. As much as I like the look of the smaller opening, I do like the functionality of the easy access. I won't be pushing these things too far so I don't have to worry much about heat build up. Also, I fish both the new and old style collars and don't see a difference between them in regards to water intrusion or corrosion. As much as it can let in salt water, it also lets in salt away so I believe that ones a wash. It comes down to preference a little more than function, as long as Tom fills the opening with the top hat or other style washer as Adam said, it's a wash to me. Have at it Tom!
It's smart for him to bring up the thought so we can kick it around a bit and then Tom can make his final call.
You guys have some good points that I never thought of.
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, Tom put this out to get opinions and that's what we're doing. Agreeing or disagreeing, we're both helping and so is everyone else. When we're done, Tom will gather all the information and take it from there ;).
I told Tom earlier today that I'll go along with whatever you guys decide, I just wanted to give my opinion.

Sal

broadway

That's right Sal! I'm sure Otto didn't think of everything by himself.
Like Larry King said, "I never learned anything from talking." ;)
Dom

day0ne

I have an aftermarket top hat that fits the hole and has a rubber gasket built in to help seal the hole. It's around here somewhere.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

PacRat

I have a 113 top-hat with a rubber gasket also. Do you know who made these?
If Tom decides to make these with top-hats he could cut a groove in the top-hat for an O-ring and that would help keep saltwater out.

broadway

Wow, I thought I bought every aftermarket Penn part at one time or another, but this gasketed top hat has eluded me.   It sounds interesting and hope one of you guys find it and can post a photo.
It seems like a good idea, but I'm wondering why there aren't so many out there. :-\
Thanks
Dom
PS- Viton would be a good gasket material... just sayin'

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: PacRat on January 06, 2016, 06:28:39 AM
I have a 113 top-hat with a rubber gasket also. Do you know who made these?
If Tom decides to make these with top-hats he could cut a groove in the top-hat for an O-ring and that would help keep saltwater out.
I'd like to look at one of those sealed type collars.
Thanks for the input!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal