Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoyupoke

Ok found the problem i replaced upper bridge screws with the stock penn screws. It now is able to be tightened with out binding. I assume this may be the solution mitch27 was referring to. I will try and sand the screws which came with plates and see what happens. Other than the screws plates are awesome. Great work Tom.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: mitch27 on April 26, 2016, 01:59:17 PM
Hi Tom , The plates are perfect . The upper bridge screw is to fat. I sanded mine from 0.136 to 0.125 and it works fine . stock penn screw mics at 0.119. I am very happy with the plates. Hope this help Andy and others.  mitch27

Can someone having this problem try either the stock yoke or the stock bridge screws?
What is the hole size on the SST yoke?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

DaBigOno

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on April 26, 2016, 01:07:49 PM
Hello All,
Please keep me posted on any issues with these builds. Sometimes when I change the simplest thing it shows up later.
I especially want to know about problems like Andy is having.
I'm back at work today and will ship out most of the remaining orders tonight.
Tom

I had no problems with the right side plate (handle side),  it was the clicker & tongue that i had trouble with    ???

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Cortez_Conversions

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

sdlehr

My clicker seems not to want to keep the tongue centered, but I haven't assembled anything else so I don't know if this will be a problem; I'm guessing once I put a spool against it it will be OK; the slot for the tongue seems to be off to one side just a hair...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: sdlehr on April 26, 2016, 04:17:06 PM
My clicker seems not to want to keep the tongue centered, but I haven't assembled anything else so I don't know if this will be a problem; I'm guessing once I put a spool against it it will be OK; the slot for the tongue seems to be off to one side just a hair...

Sid

Loosen the two mounting screws and turn the spring until the dog is centered. Re-tighten screws.
If there isn't enough space to align, use a pair of pliers to tweak the spring arms to center.
A word of caution about the clicker springs:
Pretty sure Penn springs are made from Beryllium Copper. Don't ingest any dust/particulate from filing or sanding.

DaBigOno

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on April 26, 2016, 03:17:31 PM
What kind of problems?

it wasn't nothing with the plates as much as my brain not functioning at a capacity to figure it out...

as you will notice on a stock Penn side plate, the tongue (key 35)  and click spring (key 62) sits on a block

on the Cortez plates, it takes a little finesse to balance it where it all lines up without the block to rest on..

but eventually i did figure it out after 15 minutes of fiddling around...

DaBigOno

Quote from: steelhead_killer on April 26, 2016, 02:26:30 AM
Ok I am stuck.  Installed a SS yoke on my build and when the bridge screws are tighten down and the eccentric lever is moved back and forth the pinion gets stuck in the free spool position.  It will not release until I back out this screw noted in the picture a 1/8th of a turn counter clockwise, than pop the pinion comes out properly.  I have tried three yokes.  And three eccentric jacks.  All do the same thing.  I have used both sides of the yoke.  What am I missing?  

Quote from: mitch27 on April 26, 2016, 01:59:17 PM
Hi Tom , The plates are perfect . The upper bridge screw is to fat. I sanded mine from 0.136 to 0.125 and it works fine . stock penn screw mics at 0.119. I am very happy with the plates. Hope this help Andy and others.  mitch27

Quote from: shoyupoke on April 26, 2016, 02:21:28 PM
Ok found the problem i replaced upper bridge screws with the stock penn screws. It now is able to be tightened with out binding. I assume this may be the solution mitch27 was referring to. I will try and sand the screws which came with plates and see what happens. Other than the screws plates are awesome. Great work Tom.

i took my reel apart again, and installed a stock Penn yoke with the Cortez bridge bolts and found that the yoke was getting hung up on the bolt, not allowing the eccentric to move.  you can sand down the bolts as mitch27 describes, but i think it was easier just taking a rat-tailed file to enlarge to yoke holes just a little.

after filing the yoke, everything else worked fine.

mikeysm

I had problems with my clicker spring also it was not bent correctly. I had to put it in my machinest vise and bend it to make it work. Then center it and problem solved

Cortez_Conversions

Thanks for the input everyone.
Obviously, the problem is the diameter of the bridge screws. Don't modify your yokes, modify the screws!
If you can't make the screws work, just use stock screws. I will come up with a fix.
It's not right to ask you all to modify your reels because I did not make a part correctly.
So again, if you can't modify the screws, use stock ones until I have a fix. Don't modify stock parts.
I will send the screws as is for now, because they do seem to work for some. I will replace them on my dime when I have a solution.
Thanks for your patience!
Tom

sdlehr

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on April 26, 2016, 04:43:38 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on April 26, 2016, 04:17:06 PM

Sid

Loosen the two mounting screws and turn the spring until the dog is centered. Re-tighten screws.
If there isn't enough space to align, use a pair of pliers to tweak the spring arms to center.
A word of caution about the clicker springs:
Pretty sure Penn springs are made from Beryllium Copper. Don't ingest any dust/particulate from filing or sanding.
Once I loosened the mounting screws it was a piece of cake. Thanks.
Sid
Sid Lehr

thorhammer

Tom, as has been said previously, and IMHO your stuff is just more precise than stock. I for one am more than happy to tune and provide feedback...there's a reason race cars are hand built and not mass produced. This is the crowd to get everything dialed in, otherwise we'd all just buy a 209 from Walmart and call it done :) Looking forward to my three sets, you guys will have all this sorted by the time all bits get here!

John

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on April 27, 2016, 10:46:16 AM
I for one am more than happy to tune and provide feedback..
x2. This is part of the fun.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 24, 2016, 01:05:31 AM
I noted the same thing Sal.  Does anyone know what these  plates weigh?  & what the comparable weights of other existing aluminum 4/0 plates (Accurate, JVaruance, etc.) might be?

Also, I was wondering why the bearing housing were designed integral with the plate.  Wouldn'the it be better to have adjustable bearing spacing in these reels?

Looks like the machining and anodizing on these is top notch.  I am sure the tolerances and strength are there.  I kinda wish I needed a set.

I went with the integral bearing on the right plate only. Really all you need(if anything) is a shim or two versus the entire bearing cup. The left side has all the tension and adjustment.
Kind of like the Newells that only used shims behind the bearings.
If I can save a few bucks here and there, I can spend them on custom screws and multiple colors,etc, without a significant price increase to the customer.
Now I can let all of you beta this for me!
Tom

Cortez_Conversions

Ah yes, those screws!
So as we all figured out, the screw diameter is about .01" thou bigger than a stock screw.
I'll get a work around on it this weekend and then send anyone having issues a new set of screws.
Tom