Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Quote from: David Hall on May 26, 2016, 03:01:24 AM
Yes and it didn't happen if there's no pics?  Maybe you haven't built it yet! These sideplate builds are the most awesome eye candy and if I can't see what your doing with them? Well there's just  no point to this thread so don't be stingy post em up!

Well, I picked up one of those antique hand crank grinders Sal posted about for $15, a 113h with a steel gear for $15, and a 1970's 12 speed girls bike for my daughter the other day at a garage sale, all for $70 total.  

Tomorrow I'm going to grind the screws and then put it back together, and then I'll post it up David.  ;D

EDIT:  I do need a shim it turns out. Even with stock screws its rubbing a tiny bit.  I don't have time to work on it (work calls).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

PacRat

I have a technique for grinding screws. (Sorry, no pictures) I drill a hole in a piece of doweling and put the screw through it and then I put a nut on the end with a thread or two exposed beyond the nut. This simulates the finished thickness and gives you a better grip. This also protects the threads and your fingers (keeps you from burning them). I grind off a thread or two on the bench grinder then clean it up with a dremel. I'll dress the last thread also if exposed. Unscrewing the nut restores any distorted thread near the end. Finally I give the last thread a final dressing with the dremel if necessary. I start long and test until it's just right. You can dial in the jig by grinding the nut a little thinner or you can shorten the dowel a little. I like a little chamfer on the final thread. These little holders will burn and melt (sometimes I use plastic) and the nuts get thinner if I'm being aggressive. So I just keep them laying around and I mix and match dowels and nut to find the length I want. You can also shim the nut out with washers but I don't bother.
Have fun
-Mike

thorhammer

That Hawaiian wide is bad to the bone. nice handle match.

BryanC

I got a handle arm and knob on ebay and decided to put them on this reel.

The knob seemed too big to me at first, but it is starting to grow on me.  I think I will try fishing it like this and see how it works out.

mikeysm

I have the same arm without the knob. I will use it with Alans 113 narrow when it gets finished.

Rancanfish

Thanks Pacrat for the info, I'm sure I'll use it.  Just in case I ordered a package of the shims.

David Hall

I had a couple tiburon framed 4/0 I upgraded with hot rod parts last year just waiting for aToms Plates.
One is the old style and uses the inner trim ring, the other is new style and has no rings. I didn't bother with step by step pics as we have a ton of those posts.

David Hall

Another view

PacRat

David,
That red 4/0 with the chrome looks classy. I never cared for the old style Tib frames with both chrome rings but those single rings are unique and just right.
-Mike

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Marcq

Quote from: PacRat on May 29, 2016, 12:39:47 AM
David,
That red 4/0 with the chrome looks classy. I never cared for the old style Tib frames with both chrome rings but those single rings are unique and just right.
-Mike

X2 very well matched

Marc..

Rancanfish

David I like that strip of shiny on there.  Both are nice.

David Hall

These both feature all the latest greatest internals as well and these will be my local albacore reels, all I need is for the albacore to come back!
The single chrome ring does give a nice contrast to the otherwise all red scheme.

sdlehr

Quote from: David Hall on May 29, 2016, 05:42:39 AM
The single chrome ring does give a nice contrast to the otherwise all red scheme.
Exactly!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Rancanfish

I keep going back and looking at these reels over and over.  Now I want green and red too.

David are those knurled bearing knobs from Tom?  I have three in a bag and thought they were for jigmasters.