50SW International

Started by TheReelShop, January 01, 2016, 02:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

Here goes.

Schematic https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/50sw.pdf

Taken apart into its 4 main parts Left side plate (27), Right side plate (1), Frame (183), Quadrant ring (2)

I STARTED WITH THE LEFT SIDE PLATE ASSEMBLY  AND REMOVED THE BEARING TO CLEAN, DRY, AND RE-GREASE.

COMPLETED AND SET TO THE SIDE

ON TO THE FRAME

THE REEL SEAT SCREWS WERE GREASED PRIOR BUT NONETHELESS, GETTING CLEANED AND RE-GREASED.

ROD CLAMP STUDS WERE DRY BUT CAME OUT WITH EASE

GREASING ALL SCREW HOLES IN THE REEL SEAT AND STUD HOLES FROM THE FRAME.

COMPLETED!!

NOW ON TO THE RIGHT SIDE PLATE ASSEMBLY

REMOVE IN ORDER.....HANDLE LOCK SCREW (110), AND HANDLE LOCKING PLATE (110A), HANDLE SCREW (23), HANDLE, GEAR STUD COVER (50),

TO REMOVE THE MAIN GEAR ASSEMBLY WE NEED TO REMOVE OR TURN TO THE SIDE BOTH GEAR RETAINERS (173)

ONCE THE RETAINERS ARE SLID TO THE SIDE OR REMOVED, WE THEN REMOVE THE MAIN GEAR ASSEMBLY. TO DO THIS I GRABBED A NAIL AND PRESSED IN ON THE PLUNGER (171) . SIMULTANEOUSLY PUSH DOWN ON THE GEAR STUD (134) AND IT WILL COME RIGHT OUT.

DISASSEMBLED (THE PLUNGER SPRING IS STILL INSIDE THE GEAR STUD.

CLEANED AND READY FOR RE ASSEMBLY

HERE I WAS GOING TO SEPERATE TO CLEAN BUT NOTICED THAT THE SCREWS HERE ARE NOTCHED AND UNREMOVABLE AT LEAST TO MY IMPRESSION SO I LEFT THEM AS IS.

MAIN GEAR (5H) GOING IN

GEAR STUD SPRING (18B) GREASED AND GOING IN

PLUNGER (171) GREASED AND GOING IN

TIME TO REMOVE RIGHT SIDE SIDE PLATE BEARING AND SERVICE.

TIME TO SERVICE THE CAM ASSEMBLY. REMOVE COVER SCREWS (39A), CAM HOUSING (124), ECCENTRIC LEVER (21)

THEN THE ACTUAL CAM ASSEMBLY (FROM RIGHT OUTSIDE TO LEFT INSIDE) CAM THRUST WASHER (4), ECCENTRIC CAM (19), CAM FOLLOWER (141), CAM FOLLOWER PINS 2 OF THEM (142), AND ADJUSTING SCREW (143)

PRACTICALLY BARE RIGHT SIDE PLATE

REASSEMBLE EVERYTHING BACK AFTER YOU HAVE APPLIED GREASE

FOR THIS I SET THE ADJUSTING SCREW ALL THE WAY TO LESS (THE PRESET KNOB SAYS MORE OR LESS AND IT WAS SET TO LESS TO INSTALL THE ECCENTRIC LEVER)

INSTALL MAIN GEAR ASSEMBLY. SAME AS REMOVAL PRESS IN THE PLUNGER WITH A NAIL AND PUSH IN AT THE SAME TIME.

SLIDE OVER BACK IN PLACE THE GEAR RETAINERS. THE POINTS OF THE RETAINERS NEED TO BE IN THE CENTER.

DO THE REVERSE OF WHEN YOU REMOVED

BEFORE INSTALLING THE HANDLE SCREW I DISASSEMBLE BY REMOVING THE C-CLIP AND GREASING WITH CORROSION X

THE LOCATING PINS ON THIS REEL WERE STUCK AND SO I REMOVED THEM, CLEANED AND GREASED WITH CORROSION X. ONE OF THEM WAS STILL STUCK DESPITE THE GREASING SO I REMOVED IT AGAIN AND FINELY SANDED IT DOWN AND ALL WORKS WELL!!

RIGHT SIDE COMPLETED

ON TO THE SPOOL.
I LEFT THE SPOOL FOR LAST BECAUSE THIS REEL CAME WITH STOCK DRAG WASHERS WHICH WERE NOT EITHER HT-100 OR DURA DRAG. I ORDERED A SMOOTH DRAG KIT AND UNFORTUNATELY ITS THE SAME MATERIAL AND QUITE DISAPPOINTED I WENT AHEAD AND COMPLETED THE SPOOL AND SHAFT TO STOCK CONFIGURATIONS UNTIL I GET SOME EXTRA CASH OR RESELL THIS ONE.

MY BEARING PULLER TOOL!! HAHA

GREASED BOTH SIDES OF THE SPOOL

INSERT INNER DRAG PLATE

FLOATING DRAG (7A) AND SPRING

OUTER DRAG THEN TIGHTEN DOWN WITH THE THE DRAG COVER (156)

GREASED THE SHAFT AND BELLVILLES AND LEFT EVERYTHING IN STOCK CONFIGURATION

GREASE PINION GEAR AFTER THE SHAFT IS INSERTED (NO SPECIFIC ORDER ITS JUST HOW I DID IT)

PLACE THE WHOLE SPOOL IN THE FRAME AND LEFT SIDE PLATE (FIRST I ASSEMBLED THE LEFT SIDE PLATE AND FRAME TOGETHER, THEN INSERTED THE SPOOL ASSEMBLY). THEN PLACE THE RIGHT SIDE AND SCREW BACK ON. AFTER SCREW DOWN THE SIDE PLATE AND THEN INSTALL THE QUADRANT RING AND YOUR DONE.

THIS WAS PRETTY LENGTHY JOB BUT IT WAS FUN. THANKS ALAN FOR WHAT YOU DO AND THIS IS WHY I LEARNED WHAT I DID. FROM YOU AND THE REST OF THE REAL GUYS HERE.

HOPE THIS HELPS OTHERS.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

coastal_dan

Ive read this tutorial about 5x...many thanks!  This should be a sticky, understandably its basically the same as the 30SW but nice to read it for a specific reel.

I hope you got a wrench for this one!  The photos and documentation all while wearing latex gloves certainly isn't easy!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Dominick

Great job.  I'm sure Alan will send you a wrench when he reads the thread.  I stickied it as it is clear and concise with great photos.  Keep up the good work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Quote from: coastal_dan on January 24, 2017, 05:52:39 PM
Ive read this tutorial about 5x...many thanks!  This should be a sticky, understandably its basically the same as the 30SW but nice to read it for a specific reel.

I hope you got a wrench for this one!  The photos and documentation all while wearing latex gloves certainly isn't easy!

Quote from: Dominick on January 24, 2017, 07:28:26 PM
Great job.  I'm sure Alan will send you a wrench when he reads the thread.  I stickied it as it is clear and concise with great photos.  Keep up the good work.  Dominick

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 24, 2017, 11:16:45 PM
Nice work!

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 25, 2017, 12:17:27 AM
Excellent job!

Thanks Guys appreciate it. Yes Alan sent me a wrench and this being stickied is really appreciated.

STRIPER LOU

Terrific Job! Almost infinite detail. Thanks for posting.
................Lou

handi2

Excellent fully detailed tutorial.

To remove the spool bearings just use the spool shaft or nutdriver to push them out.

To remove the left side plate bearing whack the side plate on a cloth covered table. If it still doesn't want to come out heat the outer side with a heat gun and whack it again. It will fall out.

Don't be so neat and clean :D

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Quote from: handi2 on February 18, 2017, 12:01:47 AM

Keith
Keith is right, neat and clean is a sign of a sick mind.   ;) ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

reel man

Great tutorial with very understandable language.

Cal makes a threaded tool to hold the plunger down.  The pins have to go in in the correct position with the pointy ends facing outboard.

I think on my 50SW there is a plastic gasket under the reel base.  Would have to consult the exploded parts view to see if that was an upgrade.

mizmo67

Neat and clean makes for nice tutorial pics, though!
Well done and concise.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

TheReelShop

Quote from: Dominick on February 18, 2017, 07:00:25 PM

Keith
Keith is right, neat and clean is a sign of a sick mind.   ;) ::) Dominick
Excellent fully detailed tutorial.

hahaha!!. you guys have a messier station! i thought this was bad.

To remove the spool bearings just use the spool shaft or nutdriver to push them out.

To remove the left side plate bearing whack the side plate on a cloth covered table. If it still doesn't want to come out heat the outer side with a heat gun and whack it again. It will fall out.

Keith

I have done this post this tutorial. Doing and learning.
And I thought i had a mess. I promise I'm not sick minded!  ;D

Donnyboat

Really good, thanks for sharing, deserved to be stickied alright, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Mjg378

Thank you very much for posting this.  Between Alan's AWSOME 30sw Post and this Detailed! 50sw power point from thereelshop. I was easily able to completely service my penn international 30sw!!  Thank you again for sharing! 
Can't wait to give it a go. 
Memphis Mike

gary999

Thanks for posting! I have culled my trolling reels to have only II 50 wides, one being a 2 speed. I bought a used V 50 VSW then looked at the tutorial then swapped it for a II. Too old to learn new tricks...

The notched screws on the main gear are to keep them from backing out. They appear to just be dimpled with a punch. I had one back out while fishing off shore on a Penn I and the screw jammed the reel. Not a bad mod to make maybe.

Again thanks for the post!