Rainshadow SUR 1569F--Spiders & Dragons

Started by cbar45, January 04, 2016, 11:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Wow, Chad, gorgeous, sets a mark for me to aspire to... I've built a half-dozen rods so far, mostly for function but I've done a few simple weaves and spiral wraps.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

Chad: I received the second book yesterday Saturday (Custom Rod Thread Art). This book I find is the meat & bones to designing the thread art, although it was published in 1982 it is still great information and learning. I don't know that ill be up to doing such intricate work as you have shown us here but with practice I'm sure ill get there.

This winter you have given me something to read an benefit by. Thank You!

Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

cbar45

Guide layout, to be followed by yardwork..;)

Chad

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

Nice ulu (breadfruit) tree there too.  Not tall and spindly like the ones around here.
-steve

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

cbar45

Thank you Fred and John.

Quote from: oc1 on April 15, 2016, 08:33:16 PM
Nice ulu (breadfruit) tree there too.  Not tall and spindly like the ones around here.
-steve

I call that the chicken tree.. :D

We live in a semi-rural area near farmland, so it is not uncommon to find wild chickens roosting in the lower branches.

Maybe that is one reason the Ulu tree appears to be so robust?.. ;) I do not know.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

cbar45

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 16, 2016, 12:37:40 PM
Nice job Chad! ;)

Joe

Thanks Joe, it's only a static test, but I do find them strangely relaxing.

Probably because the work is done outdoors; rather than hunched over a workbench counting threads..;)

P.S. Glad to see you on here!

Reel 224

Finished Ruth's rod two weeks ago, I have started another for myself. I know what you mean about hunched over the bench,I'm starting the layout now :P but it's keeping me out of trouble  ;) ;D

Joe

cbar45

Choosing a guide wrap--test patterns done for comparison.
I decided to go with a variant of the last version, under-wrapped with the same JT Dragon-scales used for the grips:

Laying out the under-wraps for each guide:

Adding inlays to the double over-wrap--"A" over "A", with "A" under:

cbar45

Guides: Fuji MNAG's
Reel Seat: Matagi Andromeda #24
Decorative Wraps: Elongated 4-Axis Spider, JT Dragon-scales, Olive Branch, Faded Inlays
Butt-cap: Heavy Gauge SS-316

chad

Tightlines667

Nice work Chad!

That rod turned out beautifully.  A lot of detail there, and those colors look great together.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reel 224

Chad; Great to see your work,I have another rod on the lathe and I was stuck on what design to do. That rod you finished inspired me to get going on mine.

Joe