for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

RussellB

Thank you Shark Hunter for the welcome, this is a great place with lots of good info..keep up the good work guys :)

nashbill52

Thanks for your site!  I have an old Abu Garcia Ambassador 4600C that makes a soft clicking noise as the reel freespools on a cast.  I've done a basic disassemble of the main parts adding a drop of oil on the bearings.  I don't see anything amiss.  Any ideas?

Gfish

Nashbill52, one thing I'd check out 'ed be the possibility of the spool edge rubbin on a side plate. Had that issue on an Ambassedur once.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Vjtrey1

Hi guys, do i need to remove the shields of the spool bearings in a low profile baitcasting reel? Or that's only applicable for conventional type of reel? Thank you

Rancanfish

Hi V!

If you are using it in freshwater in a normal fashion I wouldn't bother.  when I'm doing maintenance I flood my bearings with Reelex lube and spin them around.  I soak up the dirty lube (if I see any), and flip it over and do it again.

I have been fishing saltwater for 30 + years and have never pulled a shield.  I don't abuse my reels and always rinse as soon as I get home.  I've replaced one bearing in all that time.

If you start having issues maybe then start looking at pulling shields.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Vjtrey1

Tiddlerbasher

I would always remove shields of spool bearings. They sometimes produce friction either directly or via the oil between the shield and balls. Also anything that can get into a bearing can just as easily get out.

Vjtrey1

Vjtrey1

For cast control bearing should i lube it or grease it? Thank you!

bombero

Quote from: alantani on January 10, 2016, 08:40:42 PM
hmmm, just watch.  now that we have a board like this, no one is gonna wanna post here.....   :-\
[Alan, do you have any toutorials about the fathom 40NLD and 30 star drag on this site ? I'm new and have looked around but havent found any.
Thanks,
Bombero/quote]

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Vjtrey1 on August 10, 2016, 04:59:40 PM
For cast control bearing should i lube it or grease it? Thank you!

If you can't control your casts, grease it, if you want max distance and have good control of your casts oil it.

Rossta

I am a newbie here and I hope I'm posting in the right area. First of all, thanks for letting me join in. :) I've been fishing since I was a kid mostly light tackle and open faced reels. I've recently started adventuring into fly fishing (which is as challenging as it is exciting) I've also taken an interest in bait casters and heavier tackle. I happened across a newell G229-f reel and purchased it. Oh yes, forgot to mention in a lefty. So, the reel is right hand retrieve. I just assumed it would be easy to switch if I didn't just get use to the right side. Anyhow it does not work for me. So my question is, can it be converted, and If so... is it worth it? Thanks in advance for reading my rambling.

mo65

Welcome aboard Rossta. I'm sure someone here would be interested in that reel...maybe a nice trade might happen...just give it a few days for all to see. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~