for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

ah, what you are hearing is normal.  the clicker is working properly and that ratcheting sound when you crank in gear is just the spring loaded anti-reverse dogs.  you're good to go!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ompetv

Oh! This reel did not sound this way before. Anyways, I'll take your advise and load it this weekend and put it to the test. Thank you.

alantani

RowdyW

It will be quieter once you have line on it again. You are hearing the clicker resonating in the empty spool.

alantani

Quote from: RowdyW on October 31, 2017, 12:37:03 AM
It will be quieter once you have line on it again. You are hearing the clicker resonating in the empty spool.

good point, actually.  hadn't thought about that!  i was wondering why it was so noisy. 

ompetv

Makes sense! Thanks Alan! Thanks Rowdy, I really appreciate all the advise!

ompetv

hi Alan!
I spooled my reel- the loud sound is gone. You and Rowdy were right! Thank you to you!

coronasagelake

i picked up this rod the other day has aftco on it just wondered what year it was and what it is worth. like to know all info i can get thanks.

alantani

ez2cdave

Quote from: coronasagelake on November 03, 2017, 01:54:29 AM
i picked up this rod the other day has aftco on it just wondered what year it was and what it is worth. like to know all info i can get thanks.

The rod blank appears to be a Harnell.

The guides look like Mildrum roller guides.

The aluminum rod butt is Aftco.

The Rod tip appears to be Aftco, but is hard to tell in the pic.

Are there any markings on the rod blank ?

The attached data may help to identify the rod blank . . .

Tight Lines !

1badf350

It looks like a Magnuflex to me because of the cork grip, they made rods with similar colors to Harnell.
Take the reel off and read the reel seat stamp. Probably a Varmac seat.
(usually) Varmac RS-5H = 80lb class. RS6H = 130lb class
Also see if the tip has the size number stamped in the side.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

You sound kinda rude. Dave went out of his way to answer with pics. The words "thank you" go a long way with me. Others might not care.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

Not very old maybe 60's. Not worth a lot maybe a $100 if you can find someone who really wants it. I'm thinking the aftco butt was added later
Do what you can with that you have where you are