for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 03, 2017, 02:01:10 PM
It looks like a Magnuflex to me because of the cork grip, they made rods with similar colors to Harnell.
Take the reel off and read the reel seat stamp. Probably a Varmac seat.
(usually) Varmac RS-5H = 80lb class. RS6H = 130lb class
Also see if the tip has the size number stamped in the side.

Agreed that Magnuflex is another possibility.  Most Harnell's had that White, rubber-like, fore-grip on them.

Also, agreed that the seat may be a Varmac or, possibly, a Lakeland.

I see the forward brace on the reel, probably a Penn 115 9/0 Senator. A "Tuna Block" is under the brace. So, either the Tuna Block is bonded to the blank it's part of the reel seat, which would the upper section removable by loosening a knurled ring ( possibly just visible in fore-grip pic ).

If it is a Harnell blank it should be one of three models - 522, 523, or 575 . . . If it does have a detachable butt, the blank would have been shortened. So, the length specs in the charts won't be helpful.

I'm getting a "feeling" that this rod may not be in it's "original configuration" because :

(1) The Mildrum guides suggest the 1960's to mid-1970's.

(2) The rod blank suggests the same time frame.

(3) The Cork fore-grip is, also, very 1960's.

(4) The "Aftco" rod tip was likely changed from the original Mildrum unit.

(5) The Aftco aluminum Rod Butt, however, is the "fly in the ointment", so to speak. I would have expected to see a hardwood butt on this rod. I suspect that the original wooden butt may have been removed and exchanged, at some point.

I "surmise" that the Cork fore-grip was not changed out for a different, more durable material, because the guides would have to have been removed and the rod re-wrapped.

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Quote from: Swami805 on November 03, 2017, 03:22:30 PM
Not very old maybe 60's. Not worth a lot maybe a $100 if you can find someone who really wants it. I'm thinking the aftco butt was added later

Two minds with the same thoughts . . . LOL !

I was typing, while you were posting.

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 03, 2017, 02:51:25 PM
You sound pretty rude so I'm done trying to help you. Dave went out of his way to answer with pics. The words "thank you" go a long way with me. Others might not care.

I just chalk it up to his being a new member, only his 2nd post.

Tight Lines !

Army_of_One

Quote from: ez2cdave on October 30, 2017, 03:45:30 PM
Quote from: ompetv on October 30, 2017, 01:03:46 PM
Hi Alan,
I plan to open up the reel this weekend and use one of your threads as guide. The reel looks like the EXW80 reel that you have in one of the threads. I'll also upload a short video i have showing the problematic reel. Thanks

When you open it up, take photo's at every step . . . It can be very helpful for re-assembly !

Tight Lines !
This is so serious.  I really have thought about using my gopro headband for doing every new reel.
Another day in Paradise!

1badf350

Quote from: ez2cdave on November 03, 2017, 03:59:08 PM
You sound pretty rude so I'm done trying to help you. Dave went out of his way to answer with pics. The words "thank you" go a long way with me. Others might not care.

Tight Lines !
I just realized those mildrums are top mount, not side mount.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

ez2cdave

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 03, 2017, 06:23:44 PM
Quote from: ez2cdave on November 03, 2017, 03:59:08 PM

Tight Lines !
I just realized those mildrums are top mount, not side mount.

Yeah, those are the two-legged version and not the four-legged version.

I have that stripper guide in my hand, used, but clean, if anybody needs one !

Tight Lines !

seanote

Can you repair a 12/0 Fin Nor classic with the carbon fiber drag. I replaced the bearings and re assembled it.
Now it will not crank or go into free spool.. I'm hoping it's a simple fix. I have the schematics and some parts,  it works
fine before I messed with it.. David Connors worked on it prior; however, I can not get in touch with him. He had replaced and did all servicing and  had the parts.
  Thanks Capt Benjie Stansky
   Sea Note Charters
   311 Ocean Acres Dr
   Kill Devil Hills NC 27948
   252 489 0119
   seanote@charter.net

alantani

many of the guys here can do work at this level.  it would involve chiseling off the cork material off of the drive plate, then using epoxy to glue on a carbon fiber drag washer.  the hard part is getting the spacing right.  the cork is thicker than the carbon fiber.   sometimes another stainless steel plate works, sometimes doubling up on the carbon fiber works as well.  i will not have time for another month, but we have guys here that have worked on these plenty of times before.  hopefully one of them will chime in! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Quote from: seanote on December 29, 2017, 07:41:22 PM
 Can you repair a 12/0 Fin Nor classic with the carbon fiber drag. I replaced the bearings and re assembled it.
Now it will not crank or go into free spool.. I'm hoping it's a simple fix. I have the schematics and some parts,  it works
fine before I messed with it.. David Connors worked on it prior; however, I can not get in touch with him. He had replaced and did all servicing and  had the parts.
 Thanks Capt Benjie Stansky
  Sea Note Charters
  311 Ocean Acres Dr
  Kill Devil Hills NC 27948
  252 489 0119
  seanote@charter.net

Hi, Capt !

I am no expert on Fin-Nor's, but I do have an "idea" . . .

Try backing the Drag off, all the way . . . Then, back the Pre-Set drag knob off, all the way . . . Hold the spool and turn the handle ( If you hear any "grinding" or "scraping" sounds, STOP ) . . .

If nothing "bad" happened . . . Turn the handle, while rotating the spool in both directions . . . Leave the Preset Drag at Zero and tighten the Main Drag, while turning the handle . . . Increase the Pre-Set drag, incrementally . . .

If all goes well, you should be smiling . . . If not, you'll need a "guru" - LOL !

Good Luck & Tight Lines !

alantani

Now it will not crank or go into free spool.. I'm hoping it's a simple fix. I have the schematics and some parts,  it works
fine before I messed with it..   

sorry, i'm so bleary eyed here that i missed the questions completely.  do you have one of these? 

Robert Janssen

This part

....it works fine before I messed with it....

Well then, if it worked before, then it likely still does. You might've just missed something upon reassembly. No big deal. Just go back and do it again; you'll figure it out.

bpm2000

I am servicing a Daiwa Lexa 300HL right now.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/image/baitcasting/LEXA300HL_300HSL_300HSL-P.pdf
https://www.bocabearings.com/products/fr-243c-os-ld-23707?make=DAIWA&model=LEXA+300HL(COMPLETE)&feature=BAITCASTER

The boca bearing replacement kit for this reel lists 7 total bearings for replacement.  According to schematics these should correspond:
#13 - spool bearing (magnetic side plate) (3x8x4)
#17 - spool bearing (behind pin) (5x11x4)
#52 - drive shaft bearing (under shaft) (5x9x3)
#66 - handle assembly bearing (over clicker cap) (8x14x4)
#73 - handle paddles (2x bearings) (4x7x2.5)

There is one more 3x8x4 bearing they include which I can't figure out where this is supposed to go.  Is it a replacement for pinion bushing #35?  Daiwa themselves lists this reel as having "seven ball bearings, including 2 CRBB" so I'm thinking not but can't find the actual location.

edit: do they count the ARB as one of those?  Not really a "ball" bearing right?

Taed

OK new here
Thank you for help pimp a Shimano charter special

I kayak the central coast and really abuse the gear with salt and sand / bad surf landing's
can you recommend a good real, small side, lever drag for ground fish and lings

alantani

Christopher M Songer

Still feeling my way around this board. I have gotten parts from Andy Copenhaver of Tuna's Reel Troubles and Smooth Drag. Where else are the go to source for parts? Keep in mind I am mostly working on Great Lakes trolling reels and other fresh water mid-west fishing reels.
Thank you,
Chris
Always go forward, never go straight