for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Rossta; "Oh yes, forgot to mention in a lefty". Are you sayin that you are a lefty, or that the reel's a left-hander's(usin it you'ed crank with your left hand, with the reel facing up).
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Trophy1

Quote from: alantani on January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM
bill karr came by today, we shot the bull for a while and before he left, he had a suggestion.  why not have a board where a beginner can ask a quick question.  ok, i can do that!!!!  admittedly, things have gotten a crowded here.  there is a lot of information and i would imagine it can be a little intimidating.  

ok, so this is a board for pretty much any question you want to ask, no matter how simple, silly or trivial it might seem.  we'll see how this works out!!!!   ;D

edit:  questions will likely sit here for a while and then get moved if it seems more appropriate for another board. 

Hello Alan
Just joined your board.
My motive is to after seeing your skills for a long time particularly on the ifish/salty dog board i would like to send you some reals for maintence /repairs. How do I go about sending you reels to work on? I'm sure I have overlooked it here somewhere.
Thanks
Brad

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FishDad

I'm brand new to your board & kinda overwhelmed with all the great topics & information, but so glad I stumbled onto your board. I am a veteran fisherman (45 + years), but a complete rookie at reel repair, mainly because I moved to a part of the country that does not have a reel repair shop on every corner. Plus, I want to learn how to diagnose & repair reels - been messing around with an old reel or two & it's fun! I am currently working on an Ambassadeur 6600 D5 for a friend (he was gonna throw it away - seeing all the broken plastic gears & other plastic parts, I don't blame him, but I wanted it to practice on). Question: I am attempting to get to the drag washers, but cannot get the sleeve removed (above/outside of the main gear). Is there a trick to it?

alantani

welcome!  there should be a c-clip on top.  if it's been removed and is still stuck, then it might just be rusted stuck.   :-\

FishDad

Thanks Alan. It must be rusted then, it will not break loose  :P. I'll get 'er loose somehow. I really appreciate your site & look forward to learning from you & the folks who post information.

Dennis

FishDad

It was not rusted....just stuck REAL good, but got 'er done. Another question for you Alan....do you recommend grease on the drag washers? Keep in mind I am a freshwater fisherman (bass, crappie, bream, etc), so I don't see the necessity of upgrading the washers to carbon, & drag has never been a problem (have landed multiple 10lb.+ bass). If you do recommend grease for the drag washers, what kind? I have ordered grease & oil for the other parts of the reel (Quantum Hot Sauce).

Again, thank you for this forum....because I fish freshwater, a lot of the topics (big reels) may not apply to me, but there is so much great general information to absorb & I am having a great time learning from your forum.

RowdyW

If the drags are not carbon fiber run them dry. Only CF drags get greased.      Rudy

FishDad

mo65

Quote from: FishDad on February 15, 2017, 07:42:17 PM
Again, thank you for this forum....because I fish freshwater, a lot of the topics (big reels) may not apply to me, but there is so much great general information to absorb & I am having a great time learning from your forum.

I too fish freshwater...but you'll be surprised how many of these topics can be applied to freshwater fishing. I think freshwater folks have been spoiled by the advantage of not needing so much reel maintenance...never needing to flush and clean their reels after every use...that we forget how much better a reel feels when properly serviced. There are tons of info for freshwater reels in the archives here...like the Abu Garcia forum...and the spinning reel forum is loaded with info too. Welcome and good luck with your endeavors! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Soren Bredberg

Does any one know where I can get new cross bars and a reel seat for my Delmar here in Australia as they are pitted due to neglect. Re-chroming is to expensive.

mhc

Hi Soren,

I usually get new Penn parts from mysticparts.com in the US - Maureen (mizmo67) is a member and has a board here http://alantani.com/index.php?board=117.0
The postage bites a bit, particularly with small orders, it helps if you can spread it over a larger order.  
I've got a reasonable looking set of seat and posts for a working reel you can have if you don't need collector grade.

Mike  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Soren Bredberg

Thank you for your reply mhc. I think I will check the new stuff  first. Mine are too bad but I would like the new because it will never be used. I do have the box etc with it but in bad condition.

Soren

mthomas

New member from Key Largo

Over the Holiday weekend I fished with somebody who had Alan's handles on TDL 25s. They were a huge improvement over the stock handle. Are the handles still available?
Mike

alantani

got a bunch!  send me a pm with your address and i'll get some out to you!