Penn SSV upgraded gear sets

Started by newport, January 12, 2016, 02:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MysticParts

Hey everyone,

We now have the new gear sets in stock. Please see the search page here: https://www.mysticparts.com/Search.aspx?k=cnc+gear+set

They are available for the base SSV reels, not the live liner and long cast reels. The smaller gears are an aluminum main and brass pinion set, and the bigger gears are both brass. The SSV5500 and SSV6500 are interchangeable, with the SSV5500 being made of aluminum, and the SSV6500 made of brass.

If you have any questions, please contact us here: https://scottsbt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Mystic Reel Parts LLC (Formerly PennParts.com)
945 Radio Road
LEHT (Mystic Island) NJ 08087
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637
Office# +1 (609) 296-1300
http://www.mysticparts.com

FatTuna

Nice, are the all brass gears the same as the gears for the clash?

johndtuttle

Quote from: FatTuna on May 23, 2016, 06:16:32 PM
Nice, are the all brass gears the same as the gears for the clash?

They are the same materials but the Clash gears have a different spec.

Decker

I have a 4500SSV with broken gears and am considering the upgrade to the CNC aluminum/brass.  The upgrade is about $50, so wondering if my money is better spent on a used 450SS. Can I get opinions on whether these will last, compared to Spinfisher SS 2nd Generation? 

coastal_dan

Tough decision because you will get different opinions!  I would get the new gears and fish the heck out of your SSV, it will be a little cheaper, you'll get to know your reel a little more, and it will last as long as you decide to take care of it  :)  Just one fisherman's opinion...(I love my SSV 6500, just needs a better handle knob).

Plus, parts are readily available for the SSV...parts for the early SS reels are getting harder and harder to find.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

akfish

The gears are not cheap even though they are *not (*edit) made in the Philly factory. I was happy and surprised to learn that the SS gears in their Fathoms etc are Made in USA there and then shipped to the factories in China for assembly into those reels.

Penn did share with me what the alloys are in a gesture of trust, but asked me to keep a lid on it to keep their competition on their toes. The Aluminum and Brass are definitely not some garden variety choices (there are a number of alloys of both out there and these are not what you would call off the shelf types).
[/quote]

Not to get too off topic, but I'm curious: If the SS gears in the Fathom are made in the US, does anyone know whether the gears in the Squalls are made i the US? Squall gears seem softer to me...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Decker

Just got my SSV4500 with upgraded gears back from Penn.   Cranks super smoothly.  Gonna fish the heck out of it, and *hope* it lasts.

Question for the engineering types...  The SSV4500 a smaller reel than I usually would fish with in salt water, but I want to use it for surf casting lures and plugs.  The nominal specs say up to 25 lbs of drag (and I understand that fishing with that much drag is unrealistic).   20lb Sufix 832 braid.  Can I handle a 30lb+ striper or 20lb+ bluefish without risking breaking the reel?

rippin_lips

Quote from: Decker on November 10, 2016, 03:58:56 PM
Just got my SSV4500 with upgraded gears back from Penn.   Cranks super smoothly.  Gonna fish the heck out of it, and *hope* it lasts.

Question for the engineering types...  The SSV4500 a smaller reel than I usually would fish with in salt water, but I want to use it for surf casting lures and plugs.  The nominal specs say up to 25 lbs of drag (and I understand that fishing with that much drag is unrealistic).   20lb Sufix 832 braid.  Can I handle a 30lb+ striper or 20lb+ bluefish without risking breaking the reel?

The technical answer is if you keep your drag settings reasonable the reel will function as intended regardless of what's on the other end. You might not stop it, but the reel won't break.

Decker

Quote from: rippin_lips on November 10, 2016, 08:56:43 PM

The technical answer is if you keep your drag settings reasonable the reel will function as intended regardless of what's on the other end. You might not stop it, but the reel won't break.

Right, and understood, but I'd like more information.  What kind of situations put  the most stress on spinning reel gears?  Does "rippin lips" (a fast and hard hook-set on a big running fish) stress the gears more than say, trying to reel up a snagged lobster trap?  I'm not going to hoist with it, and have never broken a reel. I  invested in the gear upgrade, and since it is a relatively light size, I am wondering what to avoid (besides too high drag adjustment) to keep it within its limits for surf/jetty/pier/inshore.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Decker on November 11, 2016, 04:52:28 PM
Quote from: rippin_lips on November 10, 2016, 08:56:43 PM

Right, and understood, but I'd like more information.  What kind of situations put  the most stress on spinning reel gears?  Does "rippin lips" (a fast and hard hook-set on a big running fish) stress the gears more than say, trying to reel up a snagged lobster trap?  I'm not going to hoist with it, and have never broken a reel. I  invested in the gear upgrade, and since it is a relatively light size, I am wondering what to avoid (besides too high drag adjustment) to keep it within its limits for surf/jetty/pier/inshore.

A spinning reel is essentially not designed to crank under load, of any kind, unless just enough to take in line as you drop the tip.

The most expensive reels have more margin for higher loads, but it is to be avoided as much as possible.

It is not a winch.

This may explain your need to replace the stock gears. :)

Decker

John, makes sense... that is why using a spinning reel is more "pump and crank" than heavier conventional reels.  I've never broken the gears, so I want to know how to avoid it.  Bought the reel cheap with broken gears :)  Now it is the most expensive reel I've ever owned, so I'd like to preserve it and avoid abuse.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Ryan Albertson on May 23, 2016, 05:42:20 PM
Hey everyone,

We now have the new gear sets in stock. Please see the search page here: https://www.mysticparts.com/Search.aspx?k=cnc+gear+set

They are available for the base SSV reels, not the live liner and long cast reels. The smaller gears are an aluminum main and brass pinion set, and the bigger gears are both brass. The SSV5500 and SSV6500 are interchangeable, with the SSV5500 being made of aluminum, and the SSV6500 made of brass.

If you have any questions, please send me a PM.
Thanks Ryan,  That is good info!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

troutman561

I just bought the upgrade gears for my 4500 and they will be here next week. I have yet to even use the reel as I just got it but being as im restricted to land for the next couple weeks, this gives me an opportunity to mess with my stuff. Anyhow, can someone explain the needs for the shims to me? Is every reel different or is there a certain way these are expected to be put in? Do I have to install the gear, put the reel back together, and check for play to know if it needs shimming?

mizmo67

Shimming improves the contact between the main and pinion gears in the spinning reels The shim goes on the wide end of the main gear, between gear and bearing. Some reels might not need a shim..others might need 1 or 2. You know there are too many when the reel starts to bind up.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

handi2

Quote from: troutman561 on March 24, 2017, 01:20:59 AM
I just bought the upgrade gears for my 4500 and they will be here next week. I have yet to even use the reel as I just got it but being as im restricted to land for the next couple weeks, this gives me an opportunity to mess with my stuff. Anyhow, can someone explain the needs for the shims to me? Is every reel different or is there a certain way these are expected to be put in? Do I have to install the gear, put the reel back together, and check for play to know if it needs shimming?

Yes you do have to assemble the reel to check the play. It might sound like a pain but its easy with these reels.

After assembly the reel should turn and spin very easy. If it does them hold the reel tight and push and pull on the handle and see if there is any play in and out where the handle screws in. There is usually no play on Penn reels.

If there is play add another shim under the bearing. If the reel is to tight remove one.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL