Very odd Ryobi Adventure 110, old style reel, where could I find specs

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, February 02, 2011, 06:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

Codhead, I've been able to make some pictures. I hope this is sufficient for you to identify the type.

Overvieuw picture

This is what is mentioned on the rod

A close up of the reelseat. It is stainless steel and not aluminium

My smallest and largest reel 8)

Tile

Nice rod and reel. The old school rods and reels were made to last long and be used and abused. Take good care of them.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

Wow, those are classics.  If you are collector, it's one you should keep.  If not, fish away and enjoy the old, quality built tackle.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

codhead

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on March 05, 2011, 06:21:03 PM
Codhead, I've been able to make some pictures. I hope this is sufficient for you to identify the type.

Hi Reinaard, it certainly doesn't look like a Fibatube blank, that's a relief.

If you want to know more about the rod, The Hardy Museum in Alnwick have pretty good records of any rod or reel with a serial number. You can telephone them on: +44 1665 602771 or use the contact form HERE. I've always found them very helpful in the past, just give them as much information as you can.

I had a welcome package today containing three new rods, I'll be taking photographs over the next couple of days and posting them on here. All are built on Conoflex blanks by a good friend at Alba Rods, Scotland. There's a 14' beachcaster (surf rod), a 10' bass rod and a 6' 6" stand up boat rod. More details later
The older I get, the better I was

Reinaard van der Vossen

http://www.bigmarinefish.com/Hunting_Giants_text.htm

Cashman says, "Unlimited-class rods are actually too stiff for most anglers to properly fight a large giant. The best 130-pound-class rods, 8 feet long with an 80-pound tip, were made by Hardy of England, but these days, Fenwick's 7-foot 130s are almost as good."
unquote

The rod might be ok, although the article is ten years old. I do not run into grander blue-fins daily  :D

redsetta

On the subject of Ryobi Adventures, does anyone have any thoughts on the 80E?
I'm assuming it's probably a 20lb-class reel with about 8lbs of drag, but would need a CF upgrade.
Just considering whether it's worth picking one up or not - I've come across a nice example, despite its age...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

OldSchool

This is a very old post none the less this is a very hard reel to find. I have the 102 new in box as part of my collection and cheers for pulling yours apart I have been dying to see inside it but not good to pull collectibles apart. in any case I have the paperwork on the 102 with schematic and looks like the 110 is the same build only bigger. Almost all of the manual is Japanese and may as well be brail to me but I can say the 102 line capacity is 760m/10lb,600m/12lb,420m/16lb assuming this is mono specs, gear ratio 1:3:4,weight 900g,Drag 30kg. Yell out if you want a copy of the scematic and ill scan one up.

Reinaard van der Vossen

Oldschool,

If yours has 30 kg drag it must be another design. I could get something as high as 20 lb (9 kg) of drag out of this larger reel and it is three times the weight of your reel.

Nevertheles I'm interested in the schematics. I have the original box (which is damaged) but unfortunately no schematics inside.

OldSchool

The 30kg is what I'm assuming the drag rating is based on the manufacturers manual. I cant read Japanese so I cant be sure but reasonably I don't see what else the 30kg reference could be referring to. As below (if I get the pic thing right)

scpecheur

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on March 05, 2011, 06:21:03 PM

Overvieuw picture

This is what is mentioned on the rod

A close up of the reelseat. It is stainless steel and not aluminium

My smallest and largest reel 8)

Hello, i have discovered this post last year and suddenly i remenber that i have so a RYOBBY adventure 110H, the same!!!
I used it to fish congers with 0,8mm line of nylon,thirty years ago, but it is now somewhere in my "garage" (in french in the text because i am in France) And i remenber so that this reel is in its box, with the owner manual in french or in english. If you wish it after all these years, i could prepare an expedition for discover it, and scan this manual and send it to you . If you have  realised opérations for upgrading the drag with carbon washers by exemple, i would be interested to know how, because i could use this reel in New caledonia next time i'l go.there, on sharks and tunas.
regards
scpecheur..

advocaat1957

Hi everybody,

I own an original ryobi sd 101 adventure from 1977 and do fishing with it since the first day- it´s one of the best reels of my collection and still works fine- made in Japan. The reel is a curiosity: due to it´s spool- brake (which is the thick rotating bar above the level wind pressing some rubber blocks to the edges of the spool to control it´s rotation ) you can cast with it, if you can handle the weight of it, and using the spool brake it´s absolutely fine for trolling with released spool.
Another curiosity: you can change the handle plate to the left side and fish it hanging like a left hand spinnig reel under the rod; the line will be spooled correctly by the level wind.
I did this from the first time using it, it´s much more comfortable than fishing it like a conventional reel due to the center of gravity under the rod ( remember the size and weight of it!!).

I´m fishing it with 2 different rods, 30 lbs fenwick 1.90m and a 2.40m sportex using 30 lbs mono line at a capacity of 600 yds- all the best for little big game in open waters. I landed a 240 pounds bluefin in the Ebro Delta in spain without any problems after 1 1/2 hours of drill pulling the fish about 350 yds of line on a straight run. I think I wouldn´t (ab-)use it with 80 lbs line, ´cause this will not fit the max. drag I estimate somewhat between 25 and 30 kg.

I do have the original schematics if anybody needs it.

advocaat1957

Hi Reinaard,

I´m owner of this reel,too, I bought it in 1977.
It´s on of my favourite reels, despite it´s weight. One of the most interesting gimmicks of the reel is the adjustable bar that presses two rubber blocks to the edge of the spool and which is lifted by the line when running off . This allows you to cast with that beast, but more interesting is  the fact that you can Arrest the spool in a free- running position with complete brake release when fishing on the ground even in Streaming Waters. The line will be lifted when a fish takes the bait, and the spool will stop, when the fish stops. I still use this reel for catfish, and I got a lot of them.

For all who are interested: It´s possble to fish the reel hanging under the rod just like a spinning reel, which is  quite more comfortable regarding the weight of the reel.
All you have to do is changing the side plates! The reel will then be a left-hand reel- but most of the european anglers do prefer left hand assembly.

I fish it with 80 lbs Jerry Brown hollow an a 3m catfish rod with up to 400g casting-weight and an 80lbs Browning rod.

The reel performs well in all situations

Reinaard van der Vossen

Hi advocaat,

Sorry for the late response, I only just saw your post.

If you were able to get a 240 lb tuna on your reel than you are a truly gifted angler and not without a little luck. I must say that is a catch that earns respect.

Your reel must be in a different state or of another design than mine.

I have checked the max drag of my reel and it is maxed out  at 9 kg. The reel turns hot at this drag even at moderate speed if used at prolonged time. (I use the reel to spool other reels under pressure)

The spool is made of plastic and is probably not suitable to take higher drag because of deformation. 

Alto Mare

I had a couple of those, I believe the washers are the same as the 6-155, pretty small.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ronluvs2fish

Very old thread. I have the adventurer 110 reel and use it for shark fishing. I bought it from a buddy brand new in the box. I was told it compares in size to maybe a Penn 9/0 reel but I'm curious if the 110 would mean something like a 11/0 reel. Either way, I love how this reel handles. I've never caught anything large on it yet, a few 3' Atlantic sharpnose sharks. I have it mated up with a Penn slammer SLC 2701 ax 7' rod. This reel is loaded with about 600 yards of 80lb braid and 200yards of 80lb mono.
It does have a plastic piece on the side of the reel that has me confused as to what it's for. But I can't wait to catch something big on it.