Penn Fathom Levelwind and Stardrag series - antireverse secondary spring

Started by Tile, January 14, 2016, 12:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

The Fathom Levelwind  and Stardrag series of reels are well proven workhorses with many good size fish to their credit. One of their potential problems in case of a failure of the roller bearing antireverse is the Ambassadeur style design of the secondary antireverse system and its associated problem.
Becoming a Fathom Levelwind owner myself I decided to do away with the problem by putting a secondary antireverse spring made from a biro spring. The secondary spring is affixed to the dog stop, looped over the dog post and hooks behind the dog forcing it against the ratchet. The spring also acts as a dog retainer. The result is the sound of safety  :) .
In solid fiberglass we trust

Tile

Thank you :). At the moment I am in the UK and I am the happy owner and user of a Fathom 25 LW. Next I will need to source some Cals grease.

Alto Mare

Tile, that's very creative, simple and effective. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

hmm a spring loaded double dog, awesome

as an owner of a fathom 40 star Im interested on what kind of spring did you used.

The Baja Guy

swill88

Quote from: Tile on January 14, 2016, 12:15:44 AM
I decided to do away with the problem by putting a secondary antireverse spring made from a biro spring.

I don't know the term 'biro spring'... ??

Thanks and great pic & cure.

Tile

The better term is pen springs :). Any spring loaded pen can be sacrificed for a good cause by using its spring and they are ubiquitous :).

swill88

Quote from: Tile on January 14, 2016, 01:41:39 AM
The better term is pen springs :). Any spring loaded pen can be sacrificed for a good cause by using its spring and they are ubiquitous :).

so you take the pen spring out... stretch it & reform it?

Would love to see a pictorial...

thanks!

Tile

I take the pen spring out, enlarge the end coils (their diameter) and after that I uncoil the rest of the spring, straighten and then reshape it to go around the dog post and then I make a small hook on the end.

mike1010

Very nice work.  The spring went from a pen to a Penn.

Mike

Bryan Young

Tile, this is AWESOME!!!

This post is stickied.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tile

Quote from: steelfish on January 14, 2016, 01:26:09 AM

I am imagining that your Fathom 40 SD will sound like a minigun :)

steelfish

Quote from: Tile on January 14, 2016, 08:22:54 PM
Quote from: steelfish on January 14, 2016, 01:26:09 AM

I am imagining that your Fathom 40 SD will sound like a minigun :)

it would sound like pure music

I will try this in as soon as I find some time and spring, and post some pics here
The Baja Guy

Tile

I studied Aaron's (ReelSpeed) video and is easier to put a secondary antireverse spring in the Fathom SD reels, similar to the job that I did on my Abu AG Seven.

Ron Jones

This is one of my favorites. It should be done on any reel with an AG style "silent" dog. We really need to stop being pre-Madonnas and realize that pretty and quiet are not as important as bullet proof and reliable.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"