Tutorial Installing IAR bearing

Started by Slowly, February 03, 2011, 05:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowly

I recently upgraded to greased carbontex an old Abu 6501 c3, this reel was having problems with the IAR bearing, and when completely locking down the drag to test it and pulling line out of the reel, the IAR slipped and broke. Some time ago I ordered a new IAR from mike's, so I decided to install it.

Here's how

Use impact sockets, a 9mm that fits the IAR, and a 14mm to fit the handle side plate.

See that the 9mm socket fits nicely inside the 14mm

Used the c4 only for demonstration purposes.

Be sure to center the 14mm socket correcty, if not, you WILL damage the side plate beyond repair when using the press!!!

This is how you will put the pieces once using the press

Broken and old IAR

Apply some oil to the inner part of the side plate, to help the new bearing slide in.

New IAR bearing   ;D

For pre-installing the IAR use a towel to avoid scratching it.

Notice the 14mm socket is centered

Once you can't keep on pushing the IAR only with the press, use the 9mm socket.

Remember that the IAR-B has to be correctly positioned, if you push it in too much it WON'T work, and also if you don't press it enough the same will occur, so push slowly and check often. If you pressed it in too much, keep on pushing until it comes out and try again, don't try to push it the other way around, you will damage the plate!

Job done!  8)

Pura Vida!

Bryan Young

Very nice with the pics on the process.  You make it look so easy.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BigT

Great tip! Thanks for sharing... that's really good info ;D

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Brewer

"stay thirsty my friends"

alantani

been thinking of the same thing.  thanks for posting this.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Slowly

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!  ;D ;D ;D

Pura Vida!

Roger

That ought to get 'er done......... Thank's
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

haggard1

I was wondering how to get those out. Thanks for the info.

Snagged2

Hello All,,
I enjoyed the tutorial and, wanted to show how I move the IAR bearings..

I just use a combination of sockets,,bolts, nuts, etc,,, as I've not had any "tooling" made up..

Just came up with the pieces and components to do the same thing as using the vice..

Would be nice to have some dedicated parts to push and move the IAR bearings, and set them to the correct depth with the tooling of the correct thickness..But, until then,, this and I'm sure other systems will work!!

alantani

you could do something similar to remove them as well!

Snagged2

Yes,, it works for both removing and installing, just change out the sizes and location of the pusher sockets and washers!!

and,, none of it bears against the sideplate,, so far it works good.

bres

Hi , That's a great tutorial. Im thinking of upgrading my old black 6500 which originally doesnt have an IAR bearing fitted. Just wondered how far to press in , on the photos it looks flush with the inside of the casing ,is that right? Has anyone upgraded the main gears / multi disc drag on one of these old reels?
Thanks 

bdoc

after installing the new iar bearing do you need to put any grease or oil on the needles before using

alantani

i use corrosion x.  that's the same thing that accurate uses.  alan

alantani

Quote from: bres on September 09, 2011, 05:52:41 PM
Hi , That's a great tutorial. Im thinking of upgrading my old black 6500 which originally doesnt have an IAR bearing fitted. Just wondered how far to press in , on the photos it looks flush with the inside of the casing ,is that right? Has anyone upgraded the main gears / multi disc drag on one of these old reels?
Thanks 

flush is the correct answer.  the silent dog actually works pretty well.  it might not be worth the hassle or expense.  alan