Storage for small parts.

Started by STRIPER LOU, January 21, 2016, 12:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Although I don't have a ton of small repair parts, they were in several locations. I was finding on occasion I was ordering duplicate parts that I had somewhere else and that can get expensive!

I had a bunch of lumber left over from a huge project stored in my bomb shelter. The women that had my house built was an oldtimer from Germany. The walls are 30" of heavily reinforced concrete and its been a great place to store my wood. The temperature hardly ever changes and its nice and dry. The wife keeps trying to put xmas ornaments in it and I move them out!!!
Anyways, just some 5/8" ply for the sides, 3/4 pine for the back and a couple of shelves, and some 1 x 2's for the rails. I think it took longer to paint than build.
Just waiting for the paint to dry well before I transfer all my stuff.

Plastic boxes were from good old McMaster at around $8 and change each. Part# 4629T48. If someone needs the dimensions I'd be glad to provide them.
All the best,   .......................Lou

Ron Jones

Looks great. Thinking of something similar but I need someplace to put it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Lou, that looks great! I did something similar a while back, but not as neat as yours.

Parts cabinets are crazy in cost, a flat file cabinets with a few drawers could run well over $1000.
The lumber on mine was leftover from one of my job and the Husky parts organizers were $14 a piece, costing me around $175.
I'm not telling you what I've spent to fill those organizers  ;D.

Very nice Lou, I can clearly see you got some talent, but I already knew that ;).

Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I had forgotten about those Husky boxes Sal. I need to get some of those.
Great work Lou. Looks very professional.
Life is Good!

foakes

Very nicely done, Lou.

First class!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Reel 224

Very nice Lou and Sal. That gives me ideas fore my work area. ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Lou, that's a great piece of work!!!! However, IMO the floor is way too clean and could use some lathe waste from a new plug run!!!:)

Bryan Young

I'm sorry, I got distracted by all the equipment in the background.

Very nice rack system.  I need to do something like this, but first, a shed or two.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

Gives new meaning to "nice rack"!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sdlehr

Well done, Lou. Sal, I want to come play in your shop.  :D

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Quote from: sdlehr on January 21, 2016, 06:13:30 PM
Well done, Lou. Sal, I want to come play in your shop.  :D

Sid
Not enough room for both of us at once Sid, one of the reason I stacked the bottom of my work bench with parts .
Maybe one day my workshop will be as Lou's, one can only hope :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 21, 2016, 09:56:44 PM
Not enough room for both of us at once Sid
I don't take up much space  ;)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dominick

Quote from: sdlehr on January 21, 2016, 10:57:47 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 21, 2016, 09:56:44 PM
Not enough room for both of us at once Sid
I don't take up much space  ;)
Sid I've been to Sal's house twice and I still have not seen his workshop.  We usually can't get past the dining room table and the cantina di vino.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.