Medium-heavy mono to heavy mono connection idea

Started by NYIsles55, January 23, 2016, 06:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYIsles55

Hey.

I was thinking on ideas to make castable shark rigs that still have a long rub leader. I thought of an idea that in theory would increase casting distance, and still have a 5'-20' rub leader with a few feet of bite leader made out of wire/cable on the end. I'd assume this has probably been done but don't know it's effectiveness.

My idea would be to make your normal bite leader and rub leader you would use for kayaked baits, maybe a shorter bite and/or rub leader to increase casting distance. At the end of the rub leader, you would have a heavy hollow core braid, such as Jerry Brown hollow core, that would only be around 10 ft. You would slide the rub leader about halfway through the hollow core braid. Then you would slide a top shot of about 50# mono through until they meet in the middle, making a knotless connection.

How effective would this be? Is it even possible to splice 100# or bigger mono into the hollow core?

What would you guys think? Would it be worth trying? If you think it's worth trying, but nobody here is aware of how effective it is, than I'll try it once the sharks make their way up to LI.

Thank you in advanced for your responses!

Tiddlerbasher

Sounds like a plan. I would use a length of hollow core Kevlar as the join between bite leader and top shot - use Instaflex super glue to 'serve' the ends whilst under tension then quickly wrap some PTFE tape (plumbers tape) around the 'serves' - this will ensure that the ends of the hollow core do not fray (it can be removed after a couple of minutes).
While it's not shark fishing I am using hollow Kevlar as my bite leader for pike/zander/conger eel fishing. Not a single bite off and no frays or kinks (unlike steel) - you can get it in breaking strains of up to 700lbs - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opass-Pro-V1-Kevlar-50-700lb-6m-Hollow-Braided-Fishing-Line-/150894421432?hash=item23220225b8:m:mYq2ThjPP32Tb1i-AZKeGSg