Bulk spool question

Started by Bill B, January 26, 2016, 04:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

This has a lot of variables, but to simplify this question, if you were to buy a bulk (3000 yd) spool of mono to fill a variety of reels, Mitchell 302, surfmaster 200, 112H, 113H, penn 49, squidder 140, etc, what poundage would you get.  Assuming you would be jigging for salmon in the river, dropping 300-500 ft for rock cod and lings, throwing irons and soft baits to the kelp for calicos, sand bass and occasional yellowtails.  I currently use 20 lb on a round baitcaster for salmon and feel good about that choice.  Braid is not an option, but a dacron backer is.....I got my body armor on so fire away.... ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RowdyW

I don't know about the 302 but for the 140,200,& 112h you can use 20-25-or 30#. For the 113h & 49 which I guess you are going to deep drop to 500 ft. I would use 40-50#.  No one pondage is going to handle all situations. For the 40-50 lb. test just get a half lb. spool which will fill both the 113h & 49. I don't know how often you will be changing line but to large of a spool if not used in a year or two could go bad. It's always better to have fresh spools to load your reels especially if they are not stored where it is temp. controled.     RUDY

Tiddlerbasher

If you are going to deep drop I would avoid mono (except as a top shot). At the depths you will be fishing you won't feel a thing. Using braid is the answer.

swill88

I'm curious as to why braid is no an option?

steve

bluefish69

Some boats won't allow Braid. If it wraps the Shaft it can cut it. If it gets in the Cutlass Bearing it will destroy it. Also bad for the Crew.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bill B

I have fished with braid here in sacrmaneto and in the ocean...I just dont like the way it "feels".....plus I keep cutting myself with the stuff.....

foakes

Bill -- if it were my call, given your parameters --

I would get 25 mono for the 302, 200, 112H, and 140 -- then 40 mono for the 113 & 49.

But actually, I would consider:

302 -- 20
200 -- 25
112 -- 30
140 -- 30
113 -- 40
49   -- 50

Just my thoughts, you can decide for yourself, then mix, match, and change out your mono after each season of use.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SoCalAngler

I'd think a bulk spool of 30 lb would get used the most. For lighter applications just tie in a 5-7 feet of lighter fluoro and set drags accordingly. 30 lb will work for rockfish and most yellows.

Personally I like a thinner diameter line and fish Izorline XXX. The stuff is strong, limp and works well for me.

Can you guys fish that deep up there? Down in So Cal we have a depth restriction of 50 fathoms or 300' for rockfish.

Bill B

Fred thanks for the listing..gonna cut and paste it for refernce...I can do that list with just a couple of the smaller spools....I think that's the ticket...

SoCal...I do most of my salt water in SoCal.....a few LA County boats and San Diego boats are my favorite.....havent made it to the coast up here.....but have been gearing stories of some DEEEEP drops happening.....

Ohhh one other question....some of my spools havent been upgraded to alum....how much dacron would you put on the bottom?

Thank all for the advice....body armor coming off....Bill

boon

Quote from: TARFU on January 27, 2016, 04:38:13 AM
Thank all for the advice....body armor coming off....Bill

Put it back on.... if you're going to fish 500ft you would be utterly mad to do it with anything except braid.

Personally, I'd get a bulk spool of good quality 30lb braid and a variety of leader materials to vary depending on the fishing you're doing.

Once you've fished braid for a few years the stretch of mono is just maddening. Save that stuff for trolling nowadays.

Quote from: bluefish69 on January 26, 2016, 05:14:27 PM
Some boats won't allow Braid. If it wraps the Shaft it can cut it. If it gets in the Cutlass Bearing it will destroy it. Also bad for the Crew.

Yet to run into one in this little corner of the world... all the charter boats around here exclusively fish braid.
Mono will ruin the seals/bearings just as quickly if it gets in there, and I've never heard of braid cutting a shaft, I think that's more of an urban myth than anything.