Building Out a Small Tackle Workshop -- On a Budget

Started by foakes, January 29, 2016, 10:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Today is Sorting and Organizing small Mitchell Parts day...

Have all of the DAM Quick and Penn NOS parts organized into numbers and bins for quick access.

And have all of the NOS Mitchell reels, bodies, rotors, cranks, sideplates, and spools organized.

But have never really addressed the small parts until now. 

Can go master key number, actual 5 digit part number, or reel model.

Since a good many parts interchange between reel models -- decided to do a combination of the actual part number -- along with a model number as secondary.

Some of these parts are really small -- seems like the old tried and true repair shop envelope system will work the best for these tiny parts -- dead simple, quick, and accurate.

This will make life easier.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Flounder Boy 3

If AT had a HOF, Fred would be a unanimous first ballot inductee.

foakes

Finished about 20% of the Mitchell & ABU parts tonight.

These are all new old stock -- and many of these are very tough, or close to impossible to find anywhere -- at any price.

Sending some spinner parts to Keith -- and if anyone else who is a AT Board member needs any Mitchell parts -- just let me know.

Will help, if possible.

The envelopes each have 12 to 40 parts inside.

Kind of dizzy from squinting at the service, schematic, and Mitchell Interchangability old dealer shop manuals.

Time to hit the hay.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: Flounder Boy 3 on July 07, 2016, 07:22:06 PM
If AT had a HOF, Fred would be a unanimous first ballot inductee.

Actually, I believe every member (whether long time or brand new) contributes to the success of this forum.

It is not about any one person -- we all have our gifts and talents to share on the AT Board.

Whether you post once, or a thousand times -- every bit of information, questions, and answers from around the planet -- make this what many believe to be the best fishing repair and service site of its kind in the world.

Camaraderie, knowledge, unselfish sharing of information and parts, and free of advertising -- are all too rare of a combination in today's world.

We have folks from everywhere, all walks of life, and from many disciplines -- coming together to share what is important to all of us -- a passion for fishing tackle, and how to maintain, service, repair, and upgrade our angling tools.

Thanks to all who participate...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

bluefish69

Fred

I'll let you know about Mitchell Parts. I just received a 300 & a 302 in a group buy. They seem to be working good till you crack them.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

foakes

Mike --

I have never met a 302 yet -- that doesn't need a part or three.

The nature of these French Salt Water beasts -- means they generally get fished hard -- and seldom serviced every season -- like should happen with any reel fished in salt.

Whatever you do -- do not lose the pinion key upon disassembly.  They are tiny, usually hidden in grease -- and essential.

300s are generally just a good clean-out & service -- maybe a bail spring, straighten a bent bail wire, adjust the A/R, polish the spool shaft, replace or service drag -- pretty white bread stuff on either of these reels. 

Easy and quick jobs...usually...

Glad to help, if possible...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

bluefish69

I'm never in a hurry. Every reel takes me 2 Hrs. +. I might have a spare or 2 of that Pinion Key.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

spc7669

Fred,

Your shop is incredible. My hat's off to you.

Patrick

Southernreelservicing

This is the first thread i saw when i recently discovered this forum. To say i was overwelmed was an understatement. Fred, you are a legend. So many amazing ideas i will be studying images for weeks finding little gems of ideas. To find this as i am setting up my workshop was pure perfection.

To the other posters again the same above applies, so many amazing ideas and you guys part collections make me dizzy with envy.

Thank you all so much

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

MarcosG

What a nice and cozy place you have Fred!
I love your work bench and the way your tools and parts are organized.
It is easy to tell that you put lots of time and love to build and organize everything, The pictures show!
There is just one thing that I couldn't find and it would be a "must have" for me, a small coffe maker😄
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your place and Well Done Fred!

PRSD

Love the set up.
Thats what you call organized organization  not disorganized organization.
Everything well in reach and eye site
Love it

ez2cdave

So, time for the "obvious" question . . . What was the "budget" for your shop ?

By my "guesstimate", you ar EASILY in the "5-figure range", by the time all of the tools, parts, etc. are figured in . . . Maybe more.

Tight Lines !

Tiddlerbasher

Fred, quite simply (or not!) you are one in a row. You are to be admired brother - Chris.