Main Menu

Crankbait Info?

Started by sundaytrucka, January 31, 2016, 04:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

I am getting into large mouth bass fishing, and wanted to know what brands of crankbaits you guys use and colors. I am looking at some square bill designs.

Thanks guys.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

tholmes

There are literally hundreds of brands of crankbaits out there and most of them are pretty good.
I use a lot of Norman, Rapala, Strike King, Bomber, Bandit...there are many more.

You might want to check out Bass Resource http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/

There are a great bunch of guys over there, many of whom know a lot more that me about bass fishing.

Good luck!

Tom

Reel 224

Bomber and Strike King work well Bomber for Crank bates and Strike King for spinner bates. Rubber worms work well,and Pig and jig. It's how you work those bates. By asking the tackle shop owner or fellow fisherman you will learn. Watching the Bass Pro Classic on TV will help with plenty of tips.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

I like the old Bagley balsa wood crank baits for bass and pike, bomber for Walley, Strike King spinners are the best.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

My son fished Laguna Niguel today (for the 3rd time this week) and caught a LMB, catfish and a 3# trout all on a Texas rigged creature bait. Yeah, a trout, really! I'll ask him what his favorite LMB crank baits are. I know he has at least 3 large square billed LC's for fishing Calicos that he got recently. He'll probably take them out tomorrow when he launches my boat at Dana Point with one of his friends. I'll spend tomorrow in a cubicle.

I asked him and he doesn't have a favorite because he catches few fish on them. Plastic worms, Texas rigged or drop shot, have always worked well for me in our clear lakes with lots of vegetation. My best was 8.5# in a tournament at Lake Mission Viejo.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill B

I've used the Rattle Trap in chrome and blue with success....also 3" grubs in Smoke Salt and Pepper, on a 3/8 oz jig head, done better with the grubs than hardbaits.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hamachi

Rapala fat raps #5 & #7 silver black back , crawdad or chartreuse. Bill Norman 22 chartreuse blue back, silver black back. But it depends. Shore fishing or boat? Numbers or big fish? What lb. test line? Baitcaster or spinning reel? Type of water or lake being fished and depth targeted. Ect. Ect.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

fishhawk

rapala dt series, for instance dt-4 is for 4', dt-7 is for 7', etc

Hamachi

Rap alas use their numbering system to indicate size of lure, a floater could be a size 11, no way it dives to 11 feet being a small bill floater. Most crankbait makers use numbers to indicate the depth the lure runs at. Rap alas may even use this method, I'm not sure, but the ones I see use numbers to indicate the size of the lure.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Gfish

Best bass crankbaits I ever used were the Bombers: what was commonly called the "Backwards Bomber" - a crawfish imitation and the "water dog" a salamander imitation. Most waters have crawfish, but I only know for sure that the Nor. Cal. Waters where I learned to bass fish had them. The Water dog colors seemed to be important, and Bomber nailed it. In any plug, I'm lookin for certain qualities: paint job&duribility, retrieve action&balance, hook&attachment strength and does it imitate or simulate the naturals well? I prefer floaters, but sinkers definitely have their times n' places.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rancanfish

My favorite for bass is a suspending Husky jerk. Small,  hj8 in a few different colors for different water clarity.  I use small because the waters are subject to a lot of fishing pressure.  Nothing like twitching it up to cover and then letting it suspend. Boom.

My biggest trout was on a Rainbow colored hot-n-tot. Conservatively 10lbs+.  An estimate because I shook it off at the boat. Too pretty to kill.

Oh, and always on Maxima Chameleon 6lb.  I've only been broken off once in all the years of fishing it,  at night.  The rod was almost pulled out of my hands and snap!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

philaroman

extremely important for crankbaits -- GET THE RIGHT ROD!!!
most modern rods favored for just about any other artificial FW presentation are too fast
many better crank-specific rods are intentionally glass or composite, for more moderate action

Lunker Larry

As stated above, get the right rod.
Square lip crankbait for bouncing off structure and round for everything else
Carolina and texas rig and jigs for large mouth, grey tubes and jerk bait for smallies.
Wacky rig senkos for both.

Oh yeah. You have to say "fishy fishy bite my hook. You be the dinner and I'll be the cook". Then spit in the water. Works every time.  :D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Gobi King

try academy.com
they have their own brand of stuff that catches fish.

FYI:
I watched a guy drifting/slow trolling 12-14 ft breakline with a dropper rig and picking up some nice bass.

Unless I am trolling, dropper rigs are my go to now.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Rancanfish

Quote from: Lunker Larry on February 14, 2020, 07:53:46 PM
As stated above, get the right rod.
Square lip crankbait for bouncing off structure and round for everything else
Carolina and texas rig and jigs for large mouth, grey tubes and jerk bait for smallies.
Wacky rig senkos for both.

Oh yeah. You have to say "fishy fishy bite my hook. You be the dinner and I'll be the cook". Then spit in the water. Works every time.  :D

I'm going with this!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.